“Lovely Stay”
Review of Gwel an Mor

Gwel an Mor
Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

We booked a week at Gwel an Mor back in December (family of four) and like always have kept an eye on the reviews during the build up. I wanted to give an honest but constructive account of our stay to help other family's when planning their trip. Firstly, what a great location, the park itself is ideally placed for those wanting to explore parts of Cornwall. At time of writing we are on our 6th day of our holiday, but we have already visited Newquay, St Ives, Flambards, Penzance, Lands End, Redruth and Perranporth. All are within 20-40 mins in the car and offer lots of things to do for both Adults and children. When we arrived at Gwel an Mor we were greeted with friendly staff and an immaculate park. The coded entrance was an instant piece of mind with regards to the safety of our children. We were able to go for a swim in the lovely pool area and grab a bite to eat in the restaurant while we waited for our lodge. We stayed in a VIP lodge (50) and from the moment we opened the front door we knew we had made the right choice when choosing Gwel an Mor. Our home for the week was again, immaculate, very clean. It's well stocked, and has everything you would need. The hot tub was cold when we arrived, but I saw that as a reflection of the fact they are emptied and re-filled on change over day. And they take a few hours to get warm. I'm more than happy to wait to use it knowing its fresh clean water we would all be sitting in. The view was stunning and one of my favourite features, as I'm writing this now I'm overlooking the sea on a beautiful sunny morning. During the week we did the various animal activities available which the kids loved, used the pool, had treatments at the spa (which I highly recommend) and just generally relaxed. The beach at Portreath is lovely, and we were lucky enough to enjoy really good weather which enabled us to use the beach during the day, but we also took a couple of walks on it during the evenings. It's a minute away in the car or a 10-15 minute walk. I would like to put to bed one myth about Gwel an Mor which is the various comments about the restaurant being "over priced" or "expensive" let me tell you from personal experience it isn't. We ate at the restaurant nearly every night, and really enjoyed it. For the kids you get a good selection of food, and the option of a toddler portion (£2.95) or a child's portion (£5.95) which is perfectly priced in my opinion. The main menu is varied, you can buy main dishes at £9 or £10 or you can spend £20 on a good steak. A family of four could easily eat for £35/£40 which in a decent restaurant is very fair. Every one of our meals was of a really high quality, and if you want to pay £6.95 for a big plate special, then I suggest you should maybe look to stay elsewhere. It wasn't all first class however, we had a few little niggles. We didn't get the gas BBQ we had been promised when booking, and I had to ask why this was, to be told that it was no longer deemed safe, which I understand, but I should have been told this before we arrived. It was a factor when choosing where to stay, so we were disappointed. When I voiced my disappointed I was told by one of the lady's on reception she would bring my complaint to the duty managers attention. That was four days ago and I haven't heard anything so I guess they didn't see my complaint as important? Overall though we have had a great stay, and have loved Gwel an Mor. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a stay in Cornwall. I'm sure we will return.

1  Thank Miljosh7

Miljosh,

So pleased to read your words following you recent stay with us and that you had such a lovely time.

The views are stunning from our lodges, and we are so luck where we are located as you say from the short walk to the beach to a short drive to the A30 ad everywhere else in Cornwall being easily accessible.

I will pass your kind words on the The Terrace restaurant, the food is excellent there and our childrens food is also healthy and well priced.

We have placed BBQ trays on every lodge now as we were finding the Gas BBQs were weathering poorly (we are by the sea) and did not want any H&S issues, the new BBQs are easy and excellent to use and already many people are commenting positively about them. Im sorry you would have preferred a Gas BBQ but hope you understand our reasons for changing this. We had removed this option from our web site but perhaps we should have let you know earlier.

Hope to see you back with us soon.

(owner)

Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

Well what can I say apart from this place is amazing!! Me and the girls enjoyed every second. It was such a nice relaxing, chilled weekend. The residence lodge we stayed in was immaculate and we couldn't get enough of our private hot tub! We went to the terrace restaurant one night for a meal and my pasta dish was so yummy and great value for money. I would have loved a dessert but unfortunately I was too full up. We walked to portreath which was very picturesque. I'd recommend the basset arm's for a Sunday roast dinner. Delicious and really cheap for the amount of good served. Staff were very friendly too.
I will definitely return to gwel an mor, cannot recommend highly enough.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends

Alison,

We love being called "Amazing" and really pleased you and your friends had such a great time with us.

Thanks for recommending us!

Please come back soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed in a VIP lodge with our children for the week. We loved the sea views from our balcony and being able relax in the hot tub when the kids were in bed! Our lodge was immaculate and stocked with every thing you could possibly need. The bottle of wine in the fridge on arrival was a lovely touch. We used the pool and gym during our stay, which were both great. We used the restaurant once, it was lovely but a bit expensive for a second visit. Best bit of our stay was without a doubt the experiences at feadon farm! Kids loved meeting the animals, as did we! Gary who runs the wildlife section is a real asset to the place. We would definitely book to come back again.

Helen,

Glad you "Loved It" and that you managed to escape the kids in the hot tub occasionally, the lodges are immaculate and it seems you used all the facilities we had to offer!

Don't forget we have our activity centre opening this July (soft play, rock climbing and cafe) golf course next Easter and fishing lake later this year, so theres always plenty yo do here.

Hope you book too come back soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed in a modern lodge on a well kept small(ish)holiday park. It came with lots of mod cons including a hot tub!
Really peaceful with path down through wooded area to the fishing village of Portreath. Helpful staff. Lovely looking swimming pool (indoor), small gym and spa, though we didn't use them. Restaurant was cosy with lovely food (a bit pricey but good).
We stayed Fri-Mon and wished we could've stayed longer. We will definitely be going back.
One word of warning. If your going for a long weekend and hoping to participate in some of the activities on offer you might want to check they are actually on during the weekend.
P.S. Some cast members of the Poldark series stayed here!

1  Thank Greg P

Greg,

Pleased to hear you had such a lovely stay with us! and yes Poldark like it here to!

We do have lots to offer our guests but always recommend that you book these as much as possible before you arrive to avoid any disappointment.

Glad your definitely coming back!

Reviewed 17 May 2016

Shocked on arrival as greeted by scaffolding and diggers. Web site does mention the building works but didn't really prepare us for what we were greeted by. Residence villa lovely but you can see and hear on going building ( probably less affected if you stay in older lodges) Restaurant very nice. Hot tub cold until 2nd evening. Nice walk to beach. Wouldn't go again.

Stayed: April 2016
William H, Owner at Gwel an Mor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2016

Claire,

Of course I am disappointed to read you review, which I thought was a little unfair, and I would point out and confirm that we do inform our guests that the Residence is an area under development. This is clearly shown on our web site, and on e-mails to guests that book these lodges.

The scaffold you refer to is not on our land but is close to our main entrance as there are some new homes being built there, this is nearly 1km from the Residence lodges, the scaffold should all be down for the Summer we are informed, but this only affects the view a few yards along the entrance road.

We have been building our Residence area for the last 5 years and in that time yours is only the 2nd write up that says it effected their break, we manage the works scrupulously and in general the work is some distance away from the lodges, but I accept if you choose to look behind you, you can sometimes see some of the works but the screening is 6' close board fencing and does screen the area very well.

Also all the work is all at the rear of the site, but all the lodges look out over in an un-interpreted view of the Atlantic and a beautiful valley, you can only see any works from your lodge if you really want to find them.

You will see from many of the other write ups on TA that the works had no effect on their enjoyment, and we are stopping most of the work over the Summer holidays this year.

You will appreciate we are creating something very special at Gwel an Mor, the fishing lake, and golf course are both nearly completed and will be amazing, our new activity Barn opens shortly and all of this work has been completed over the last few months during our quieter season, in that time we have had thousands of guests stay and literally only one or two issues in relation to the work.

Turning to your hot tub, as policy we always change the hot tub water between guests departing and arriving (many of our competitors do not do this), so there is sometimes a delay in the water getting to temperature, but this is rarely more than a few hours, and we do advise this to all our hot tub guests.

Thanks for taking the time to write, and I hope you will come back again and see the lakes and Golf course all completed later this year.

(Owner)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portreath
4.8 km away
29.7 km away
The Park, Cornwall
The Park, Cornwall
#2 of 5 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Gwel an Mor? Share your experiences!