Portreath Arms(Portreath)
US$96
US$124
US$120
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$144/night.

Tyacks Hotel(Camborne)
US$101
US$70
PremierInn.com
John Francis Basset Hotel(Camborne)(Great Value!)
US$105
  • Restaurant
Lowenac Hotel(Camborne)
US$89
St. Agnes Hotel(St Agnes)
US$127
US$101
TripAdvisor
US$64
Travelodge
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$85/night.

No availability for your dates from these sites
All reviewsvip lodgeterrace restaurantfeadon farmhot tubmeet the animalsrock poolingswimming poolcountry parkwildlife experiencewood burnerportreath beachonsite restaurantnight walktakeaway servicest iveson arrivaldishwasher tablets
Reviewed 15 September 2017

Lodge was very clean with everything we needed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were a little disappointed that a charge was made for putting and tennis.
The grass was cut by a ride on mower which covered all the paths with grass clippings early one morning , on our return after a day out the paths had not been brushed , but just left to blow around, not quite what we expected on a five star resort. The spa had communal changing facilities which we were not aware of and just 2 showers which were adjoining and separated by a clear screen. The steam and sauna rooms were situated directly opposite these showers which I considered totally inappropriate.
The pool was wonderful. We had a marvellous time at Feadon Farm which can be booked for animal experiences. A truly lovely place, well run with a knowledgeable manager, all the animals were content and well looked after.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
GwelanMor, Owner at Gwel an Mor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Valerie,

Thanks for your write up, glad to hear you felt all our staff are helpful and friendly, I am biased asI think they are the best!

We do charge a nominal amount for Tennis, but there is no charge for Putting, Boules, Croquet, Pool, Gym, Sauna, Steam Room, and I agree the grass should not be on the paths and can only presume with the winds we get ( being so close to the sea) that maybe the wind blew the grass on to the path, as this is not the norm.

Pleased you enjoyed our pool area and of course the farm is always a special place to visit.

Bill Haslam
(Owner)

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

I would definitely recommend. We stayed in a Tregea VIP. (#4)

We normally visit centre parcs for a lodge holiday but, Gwel an Mor has really "upped the bar"!

All the family were pleased with our stay and we can be a picky lot! Would definitely return for a Holiday here. Plenty to do for a weeks holiday.

Lodge:
- was very clean and impressive, loved it.
- hot tub was nice. Even though its situated at front of lodge, you're secluded from view
- BBQ stand used twice for lovely evening BBQ meals (disposable bbq to be used)
- very nice view, lovely to sit out on Balcony

Park/facilities:
- lovely grounds and setting.
- 20 minute relaxed walk to beach using the pathway behind the farm. Nice walk.
- Base Camp was great, used it 3 times for our 3 year old during a weeks stay.
- The animals are a nice touch although, disapointed we didnt get around to joining the animal petting/feeding at the farm. Thats a definite for next time.
- pool is small but, a nice setting.

Terrace Restaurant:
- Again, nice setting. Relaxed atmosphere. Used 3 times during our visit.
- Food was nice, all meals enjoyed. (I would say the steak is overpriced @ £24)
- staff very friendly
- Tapas evening was a nice touch, we enjoyed it.

Location:
- superb location
- good base to visit other areas of Cornwall
- supermarkets/takeaways a short drive away
- plenty of walks

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Hi,

Glad we "upped the bar" against other places you have stayed previously, and to hear this from self a professed "picky lot" is even better!

Base Camp is a great facility, and I am pleased you used it frequently and also met some of our animals on the farm ( they are looked after as well as our guests aren't they!).

Glad to hear your coming back soon!

Bill Haslam
(Owner)

Reviewed 8 September 2017

I am currently staying a Residence assisted lodge. It is adapted and fitted with everything we need and has fitted hoist in the bedroom, on suite wet room and ramped access to the front door. It has an open plan fully fitted kitchen with lounge and diner, 3 bedrooms outdoor terrace with seating and hot tub. There is also free wifi and safe. The lodge has a log burner which we have not lit yet but looks good. There is lots on site from a small gym and swimming pool, a good restaurant etc. There is now site shop which is a bit of a let down. I feel with the site expanding as it is it is now big enough to benefit from having its own shop. It is much bigger than when I was last here a few years ago. Gwel an Mor is a short drive from Portreath and the coast and beach which i have walked to in the past from here. It is situated well in Cornwall for access to the A30. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Residence lodges are superb and well worth the extra
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2017

I left booking our holiday late this year so the place we normally go to in Porthleven was fully booked. I came across Gwel an Mor online and found they had 1 Tregea VIP lodge left so decided to book it given the positive reviews. I was however, a bit worried that it would be a low demand lodge given it was the only one available. On arrival at the entrance, our first impressions were very good. Well stocked flower beds, a lovely new golf course and a lake with a fountain. Check in was efficient and we were given the key and directions to lodge 54 Minack. We were relieved to find that the lodge was in fact in a prime position with unobstructed sea views from the back. We overlooked the animal paddocks so spent hours on the balcony watching the goats, donkeys, reindeer and birds. Before we arrived, I was also a bit worried it would be like a Center Parcs type set up with cleanliness issues, hard upselling and crowding. The reality is that Gwel an Mor is small and far more upmarket and sophisticated given similar pricing structures. The standard of cleanliness was very high with good quality fittings and furnishings. The kitchen was also very well equipped with everything you could possibly need. The beds were also clean and very comfortable. There was no Center Parcs type hard upselling or general fleecing so that too was a relief. They provided washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs, biscuits, fruit, tea, coffee and hot chocolate with poo bags and treats for the dog! We pre ordered the breakfast pack which had good quality ingredients and was put in the fridge prior to arrival.

We had a take away from the onsite Terrace restaurant one evening. Myself and my son enjoyed ours but my husband was a bit disappointed with his which was a shame. My crab and salmon fishcakes were superb. The pool, sauna and gym were well utilised by us and not overcrowded despite it being peak season. My son used the hot tub every day and it was well positioned with lots of vegetation to give a good level of privacy. There was a smart TV with film subscription option or you can borrow rainy day DVD’s from reception free of charge. The tennis court is of a good standard and the landscaping and herb garden at the resort is lovely.

All in all, it’s very hard to find any real negatives at Gwel an Mor as it does what it says on the tin and the website tells it as it is. The only niggle was that there were a few minor maintenance issues which I feel should have been picked up during change over checks The ensuite had a dripping toilet cistern and the kitchen cooker extractor hood didn’t work. This in no way affected the enjoyment of our holiday and I am sure if I had complained it would have been rectified immediately. I worked in facilities management for years so I do tend to pick up on this sort of thing where other guests maybe wouldn’t.

As others have said, the walk back from the beach Is steep so I did not attempt it. The site is also hilly so could be difficult if you have a lung condition like mine! My husband and son hired bikes and there are ample trails in the area which were for moderate abilities. Portreath itself has a small beach and a few pubs where the food was pretty good. It’s a little run down but St Ives, Falmouth, Porthleven, Hayle and other popular places are no more than 20-30 minutes drive away. We spent a good few hours at Cornwall Gold and did the tour of their Tolgus tin mill which is the only one left and is now a heritage project. The tour was really interesting and well worth £4. Entrance to the site is free and great if you like jewellery as they mix the tin they smelt in the mill with gold and silver and sell it there. A real bling palace if you like that sort of thing!

The one thing that is very evident at Gwel an Mor is the passion the owner has for his product. The customer service ethos is first class and you can see that they are fully committed to delivering a quality customer experience. My only suggestion would be that paths from the northern lodges to the farm etc would be useful. At present, you have to walk up a steep hill and around to get to the farm, coastal path and tennis courts etc. I suppose this maybe a security issue though as I think the lane in front of the farm has public access.

Would recommend especially if you have children. Dads will love the new golf course and fishing lake and for mum there is a small spa.

Room Tip: Best sea views are from lodges 51 to 54.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank SallieWales
Reviewed 27 August 2017

Just enjoyed a wonderful stay at Gwelan Mor in one of their Lowena pet friendly lodges. The lodge is perfect for a family stay with plenty of space for all. The services provided really good from the pool to the restaurant and excellent staff. Our blunt kitchen knives were sharpened within 1/2 hr and when the outdoor light stopped working - again the team responded very quickly. The highlight of the holiday was the Falconry experience at Feadon Farm run by Gary. Our 8 and 11 year olds especially loved being so close to such wonderful animals. We will definitely be returning and next time we'll try out the highly recommended Rock Pool experience!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family