“Great Find”

The Sitwell Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Renishaw
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Was in a double room. For the price, it is 5 stars value. The lovely bed and bathroom is comfortable/lovely, staff were friendly, a brilliant cleaning service, lovely brekkie, nice bar, so peaceful and there's a gym as well.
I would like to say thank you to the owners and those who runs the place. I have already re-booked for next week and a couple of nights in June !!

Room Tip: Ground floor has easy access to car park and lovely garden
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Sitwell Arms Hotel

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

The heating was on full blast and all the radiators in the hotel were stuck on full blast. The reception desk was abandoned at night, the doors were locked and the night time telephone number was out of service. Not only was I being boiled alive, I couldn't get out of the building and couldn't find anyone to let out. I met another guest roaming the corridors also looking for the porter at 2:30am. He was feeling unwell from the heat too. Bathroom fittings were coming off the wall in my room and the shower head was screwed onto the stand to stop it falling down. The whole hotel seems as if it is just getting past its sell by date. It has potential, but it desperately needs some tlc and an update. They also need to clean the windows. In rooms 28 and 29, there was so much dirt on the windows that you couldn't see clearly through them. It was like looking through frosted glass.
When I complained in the morning, reception just said that when the person working the overnight shift goes to set up some rooms they don't get the radio link to the reception desk phone. That means that already know that they lock people in and non of the guests in the hotel can phone down and contact reception. In an emergency this could be seriously dangerous.
When i also complained about the heat when I was leaving, the receptionists simply didn't care.
Now that I've completed my job in the area I thank my lucky stars i don't need to worry about returning. I've also recommended that the teams now starting the new contracts stay elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2017

So disappointed, stayed once before six years ago. It is now very tired looking. Desperately needs updating. Single room size okay, shower room cramped.
Bed so uncomfortable that at 3.00 a.m. I had to use duvet as mattress topper. Fought the pillow blocks for hours until I remember there was a bed cushion I could use. Put coat and towel on top of me and managed to sleep.

Reception. Staff pleasant, offered to carry case to top floor but Didnt process the card key so I had to leave luggage in corridor and drudge back down to get sorted. Evening and morning staff totally unhelpful when I enquired about the local Catholic Church. " Never heard of one and I come from here" ! another "no, don't know, I'm not from around here" No offer of looking up on internet. It is about two miles.

Grounds extensive, plenty of parking, bedding and towels fresh.
Pub. Looks lovely and atmospheric.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

My partner and I organised a surprise 60th birthday party for her sister, with around 40 friends and family attending.

The party staff at the Sitwell Arms were very helpful and attentive when planning and setting up the event. The food menu was flexible, and pricing meant you could chose from various base options and add specific items to supplement this. They were also very flexible on dietary needs, such as catering for a vegan in our party.

We used the in-house DJ, who was reasonably priced, and willing to adapt his playlist to incorporate all our requests, which were submitted in advance.

The room we had was quite large, with plenty of space for five large round tables, a dance area, a private bar, and a conservatory with some smaller quieter tables and the buffet table.

We were able to decorate the room in advance, and had more or less total freedom to put decorations up.

The party went extremely well on the night. The hotel helped us to keep the party secret until the last moment, and all the guests had a fabulous time. The food was excellent, and again we had marvellous flexibility, as a celiac had to be catered for with gluten free feed, and the staff responded to this on the night because we didn't know about it in advance.

The DJ was very good, and he included all our requests in the playlist, and he helped to support a great atmosphere. We had a dedicated party host and bar tender for the night, and both were very friendly and supportive and responded to all our needs.

Overall the Sitwell Arms helped us to celebrate a milestone birthday in style, and is a wonderful party venue, and very reasonably priced.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2017

I was trying to book a hotel without much luck as it was short notice,most of the hotels that were available wanted far too much so I decided to look further afield. I came across this hotel and decided to give it a try.
Our room no.21was lovely it was very large with a wonderful four poster bed very clean plenty of drawer and cupboard space free Wi-Fi and gym facilities and complementary breakfast which by the way was delicious!
The bathroom was spotless I really couldn't fault it.
When we first arrived the hotel was very busy and our room was opposite a function room I thought it would be noisy but we didn't hear a thing all night.
We don't usually stay in hotels like this and prefer more modern places in the centre of town but I loved it and would recommend the sitwell arms.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renishaw
8.0 km away
5.5 km away
Hotel van Dyk
Hotel van Dyk
#1 of 1 in Clowne

Been to The Sitwell Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!