“Visit this place for its good food and nostalgia ”
Review of Yut Loy Coffeeshop

Yut Loy Coffeeshop
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

My family and I had a good time here. This is the old style Chinese coffee shop where people go to enjoy the food and company.

So what did we eat? Steamed buns or pao, toast or roti bakar, chicken chop, fried vermicelli or bihun goreng and fried flat noodle or kueteow goreng.

Steamed buns come in many flavors. We had beef curry (very good, flavorful and the filling is generous), kaya and red bean steamed buns were also good. Not too sweet. The texture of the bun is soft and nice. This is a must try if you are here.

Chicken chop was also good. The chicken was tender. This is the battered chicken type, old Hainasese cooking style. The sauce was just accepted, I prefer the sauce at Dave's Deli. The portion was a bit small for me and for the price, RM20.00 per plate.

Fried vermicelli and fried flat noodle should be eaten with cut bird's-eye chilli which is served separately. On their own these dishes have little taste.

I drank kopi susu panas or hot coffee with condensed milk. Just OK, not potent enough for me. It didn't have the effect - eyes didn't water, it didn't travel to the brain. Kopi susu ais or iced milk coffee was also so so.

Service : the waitresses and the shop owner were attentive. Our orders were all correct. This is what we look for. Besides good food, customers want good service.

Ambiance : I was transported back to the place where my father used to bring me to eat in Kangar, Perlis. Restoran Maamor, Federal Hotel, Soo Guan Restaurant to name a few. Old style decor, round tables, wooden chair and unpretentious owner and restaurant helpers.

Will return for the pau and its old style charm.

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

Other than the kaya everything is just okay. Service was slow. We ordered a plate of meehoon and it took them 45 minutes to serve. We arrived at 1.45pm but decided to wait until 2.30pm for the buns. 2.25pm a man came and took away 4 huge plastic bags of buns! I was disappointed cos it meant a longer wait. But at 2.30pm the waitress came and took our order for buns. Kaya bun was fabulous. Chicken was so so. I didnt like the beef bun. Tausa bun was quite nice. This shop is along the main road, in the middle of downtown. Make sure if you park around there even on a Saturday, you have your parking ticket ready or go to the shops to get one.

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Yet Loy Coffeeshop was recommended to us by a lovely Malaysian man who had grown up in Kuala Kangsar and now worked and lived in Brunei, running his own restaurant. He told us that this place had a lot of history, was very down to earth but used by many including members of the royal family. The food was simple and authentic but good and the pau delicious. The service was also good and kind to the two of us who were total new comers to Kuala Kangsar. This is exactly as advertised - a coffee shop owned by the same family for generations serving good and simple food, which is well loved by locals. A great addition to our day.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

So far the best hainanses food I ate so far. Ordered toast bread with butter and home made kaya, half boiled eggs & chicken chop. Yumilicious. A tiny kopitiam u can see the true Malaysian culture whereby the shop owner is a Chinese but the customers are all multi race.
However the price is equivalent to kl food price, though this place it's located in a small town.

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Went for breakfast. We were surprised to see a Muslim staff came to serve us. Surprisingly, we were told Chinese-style steamed bun are available. We ordered butter toast with sugar, cocoa drink, butter toast with kaya (custard made from eggs, sugar and coconut juice), and kaya bun.

My children like butter toast with sugar, and ended up order for another round. The kaya bun filling is different from the usual kaya bun found in other places. It has a little bit of ginger taste, and not too sweet.

I personally like the atmosphere here. Laid back and nostalgic feeling. LMaybe it was working day when we came, there is no tourist around, only some local old folks gathered here for breakfast and chat. Our orders were fast too.