Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$622
Hotels.comUS$622
PricelineUS$622
TravelocityUS$622
eDreamsUS$559
Orbitz.comUS$622
All reviews infinity pool costa rica general manager view of the ocean spectacular views the entire staff pura vida cano island main building this place is amazing south pacific watching the sunset beautiful property one of a kind the managers hidden gem zip lining
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Never have we been so sad to end a vacation. Everything about El Castillo was magical. The hotel itself is stunning. The architecture, interior décor and appointments are just beautiful. The view from the entrance of the hotel (and every window and doorway for that matter) is gorgeous – the infinity pool and the Pacific Ocean beyond it… Magnificent.

As beautiful as the hotel is, there are many beautiful hotels in beautiful locations around the world. Yet, all my husband and I can think about is our return to El Castillo. We cannot praise Scott and his wonderful staff enough. We feel as if we left good friends behind. Beyond being professional and anticipating our needs before we even realized what our needs were, there was a warmth and friendliness that we’ve never experienced at a hotel before. Like we were part of their family (a good family, devoid of family drama…). Scott, Gerson, Pablo, Carlos, Sharon and Kaylor, we miss you already!

The food, the drinks… Everything was perfection. Chef Pablo, Castillo’s young, imaginative chef puts so much thought into each delicious meal. It was a pleasure to watch his face light up as he described the night’s selections. Such passion. We could taste the love in each bite. We also had the wonderful experience of taking a drive up into the mountains with Pablo to visit the local market where he made selections for our last meal before our return home.

We are left with an enormous dilemma… Do we return to El Castillo or do we next visit Scott’s new hotel that will be opening up in Panama? I don’t think we could go wrong with either choice, as Scott certainly knows how to run and staff hotels, but it’s hard to entertain the thought of not returning to El Castillo.

Room tip: Mornings can be bright, but I always travel with eye shades...
Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed 13 July 2018

We wanted somewhere to relax for a few days and celebrate our wedding anniversary after 10 very active days discovering the delights of Arenal and Monteverde and before visiting Manuel Antonio. I did wonder if it would be worth the 5 hour journey from Monteverde but wow from the moment we arrived it definitely was. The photos looked so amazing I deliberately stopped looking at them before we traveled in case they didn't live up to the hype. Well I can tell you if anything they exceeded them. Having only 9 rooms it was more like staying in a large family home. All the staff lead by the owner/general manager Scott were exceptional and would be an asset to a Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental

Room tip: Any but Room 5 a corner suite was amazing
Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 11 July 2018

Our trip to El Castillo Hotel was the best vacation I have ever experienced. The Hotel Staff was so professional, efficient and they couldn't do enough for us. Scott and his staff made us feel like family. Our rooms were beautiful and the view spectacular. The food was a presentation like no other and talk about delicious. A place you must stay when visiting Costa Rica

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2018

This was our first time visiting Costa Rica and El Castillo and certainly won't be our last.
I was careful to choose a great hotel with spectacular views and a romantic ambience as I planned to propose to my girlfriend. I hit the jackpot !!!!
All the rooms have a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean and the surrounding jungle. We had daily morning sightings of flocks of scarlet macaws, toucans,and hummingbirds. The complimentary Costa Rican breakfast with local coffee was a great way to start our days.
As you can see from other reviews the staff goes the extra mile to ensure every aspect of your stay is top notch. Chef Pablo is a very talented chef that adds a special touch to his evolving CR cuisine, making personal visits table side. Caylor and Gueresen helped us everyday with car rental, excursions, day trips, and anything else we needed. Caylor also serenades you with his guitar !!!! Michael showed us a great time with his artistic sand drawings and tours.
Thanks to all of the El Castillo staff for making our engagement vacation in Ojochal an unforgettable one. We will absolutely see you again in the future!!
Steve and Dawn

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 25 June 2018

This was my second time in Costa Rica and El Castillo did not disappoint. From the moment we got there to the time we left everything was wonderful. Yes you can't control the weather, especially during the rainy season but we still had a great time and enough sunshine to get thoroughly burnt. Aside from it being a wonderful 9 room hotel with nice rooms and great beds, the stars are the staff and the talented young chef, Juan Pablo. If you are in a hurry this is not your place, everything is done to order and is a work of art. I was constantly amazed by the Chefs talents at creating the most beautiful plates, which tasted great too. Costa Rica is an amazing country with lots to see but the south west corner is very beautiful with lots to do if you like being outside in this part of the world. If you enjoy dining out then you will really be happy in Costa Ballena. There is no shortage of excellent places to dine and the staff is able to help with your needs and steer you in the right direction. I could go on about the property and its charms but all I really need to say is that we will be back and we know that we will be greeted with open arms!!!! Can't wait!!

Date of stay: June 2018