All reviewsnaoshima islandjapanese homewonderful staymaxhostslopes
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Uno Slope house entailed everything my friend and I needed for a pleasant experience, providing all the necessities and more. Max conveniently picked up our luggage from the station as soon as we got in, while my friend and I who were on a tight schedule headed straight to the port for Naoshima Island. Later that evening Max even made a second trip to pick us up from the station, we thank Max for being so considerate and helping make our plans successful.

If you intend on visiting the Islands, this is the place you need to stay, I have no hesitation in coming back for a second visit. Excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My sister and I had a wonderful stay a Max's Uno Slope House. Email with Max beforehand was not only about the stay, but also he provided crucial info on visiting the museums on Naoshima (I would have tried to go on a Monday when they are all closed!). Pickup at the station, a map of local restaurants, extensive guidance on visiting Naoshima, a ride to the ferry (tho it is walkable too) - Max was beyond helpful. The House is a fascinating combo of traditional rooms (tatami mats, futons, etc) and modern (in a Grandma-way) living room, kitchen, bath. And WiFi too! Also scrumptious breakfast, with insightful discussions about modern Japan with Max. We only wish we had time to visit the new Naoshima onsen he recommended. I strongly recommend that visitors stay at Max's if they are visiting the islands - the care, guidance, comfy lodgings, and homey feel was a highlight of our Japan travels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Four of us stayed at Uno Slope House and all agreed that it was a great experience. Shiori looked after us with excellent local advice and by cooking delicious pancake breakfasts. Her level of help and attention was exceptional.The really commendable thing is that all interaction both with Max (by email in this case as he was away during our stay) and Shiori felt genuinely friendly and personal despite so many people passing through their premises. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My expectations were exceeded with the extremely comfortable home which was a wonderful two night stay for me and my husband. Shiori [Max was out on assignment] picked us up at the station and dropped us off at the ferry, where she assisted us with the purchase of our tickets. It was a great decision to stay in Uno and ferry to and from to Naoshima Island, as it added to the fun of taking the local buses, then walking back from the museums. More could be said about Naoshima, but to describe more about Unoslope House: there are two tatami bedrooms on the first floor with a parlor that is shared. Our tatami room was near the entrance and we had a toilet adjoining the room. There is a separate shower and furo room, with a sink and mirror for freshening up in the evening and morning. Excellent lighting for reading and a spacious closet area where our bags could be stored out of sight. Shiori prepared a delicious breakfast with carved fruit, yogurt, cereal and the famous Max-style pancakes which we absolutely had to have. Glad we did. On our second evening, after returning from Naoshima, we had dinner at Osakaya, easy to reach from the ferry and very convenient for the walk back to Unoslope. Lastly, there are brochures that are handy and Shiori was very helpful with train information. She dropped us off at the station for our departing train - great service, especially if you have bags. I am looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: I felt that the room on the first floor with the parlor, bath and kitchen all on the same level gave a more homelike feel to the stay.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Uno Slope house for two nights and were extremely happy with our stay.

Our hostess Shiori picked us up and dropped us at the train station, was flexible with timing for our breakfast and gave us great recommendations for places to eat. She was a warm and friendly hostess and our stay was made by how great she was.

Definitely recommend staying here as it was a great place to stay when seeing Naoshima island.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple