“Great Hotel - HUGE rooms. Convenient to Kadena Base”

Terrace Garden Mihama Resort
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed here for a week in early February 2014 for business on Kadena Air Base and it was my first trip to Japan. I had heard that the rooms in Japan are generally smaller than in the US. Not here. They are about twice the size of a US hotel room. It was one of the best hotel rooms I've ever stayed in.

It's located right on Highway 58 (the main road) & adjacent to the American Village. It has a direct view of the huge Ferris wheel in the American Village. 5 - 10 min to Gate 1 of the base, depending on traffic. Free parking is on the ground level; reception is on the 2nd Fl. Staff is superb & very helpful. Not much English spoken, but they manage well. The hotel staff went well above & beyond the call of duty to find my colleague a room in another hotel for an extra night, as they were booked.

The hotel has a very modern feel to it w/ Japanese flair - very clean & orderly. The rooms are well appointed and not cluttered. All exterior walls are sliding glass doors which can be opened to your liking for great cross breezes. The balconies are also pretty large and have a table & chairs for hanging outside. I think each room has a small fridge and safe. We had Japanese style breakfast every day - tea, omelet, salad, veggies & bread. Fruit plate for desert. You must request coffee - it's a small cup of strong coffee. I liked it.

The bathroom is just huge. Women will love it (I loved it too). It's in 2 parts. Part 1 - makeup area, sink & toilet w/ heated seat & multiple bidet functions. You may have heard of the "$5,000 Japanese toilet"? - this is it. Part 2 - 2 person jacuzzi, shower area adjacent. Sliding glass doors separate the 2 parts. The usual toiletries & appliances are provided: shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer curling iron. Shower scrub, razor, cotton kit are also provided.

The only negatives were the noise from cars racing on Rt 58 at night - very loud. The beds were a little small for 2 & a little hard also. The TV stations were all Japanese, which may have been a good thing - get out & explore!

I would definitely stay here again but would be prepared for the noise & hard bed. If you're coming from the US, bring a 3 to 2 prong electric adapter - mine had one end wider than the other & fit fine.

Room Tip: Be prepared for auto noise - loud racing engines. Although it has blackout curtains, light from the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Nick D
There are newer reviews for Terrace Garden Mihama Resort

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Must be the most expensive hotel in the American Village of Okinawa. Price from HK$1,500 to HK$2,000 without breakfast, but I consider it worths it all!

Room is at least double the size of a 5-star hotel. Two double beds that can sleep 4 people. Large seating area, balcony. Huge bathroom, jacuzzi, you can even dance inside it!!

Included a dinner in the stay plan for around HK$500 per person. 8-9 courses, all made to a very high standard, whatever it is presentation or taste. Again worth the price!

There are only 12 rooms in total, 2 in each floor. There is also a spa room in 2nd floor where you can have a massage in discount but you have to book in advance.

My only complain is that the rattan chair in the room was torn and there are not enough amenities provided like they only provide cups and not a glass, no coffee maker (provided the price they charge).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This place is a complete shocker. I live on Okinawa for four years, and passed by this place, I'm guessing 400 times. I never noticed it as it stood at the end of the block of one of the most popular intersections of this part of Okinawa. I could have not asked for more. My wife, 4 month old baby and I stayed here for three nights as we vacationed here on our way to Europe.

There are only 14 rooms, but all of them command about 90 sq meters of space. The jacuzzi in the gigantic bathroom was great. I am 6'4(194 cm) and we had more than enough room to take a family bath. The living area is bigger than almost any house I have seen in Japan. Each floor has it's own decor, so depending where you are the actual furniture will change.

The food here is offered on a reservation pre ordered system only. It is not to be missed!!!!! We had breakfast one morning, and my wife and I were amazed at how unbelievably fresh everything was. Every piece of the meal was from Okinawa. Goat butter, snake soup, locally grown veggies. The food was an experience.

The location is interesting. One of Okinawa's best steak houses is about 12 meters away. American village is only a two minute walk. This opens up your eating options to almost anything the mind could desire.

The only downside, and believe me this is almost not even worth mentioning, is that it is not on a beach. When most think of Okinawa, you will think of beaches. There is a great one near by, but it is about a seven minute walk. I have no complaints other than this, which by the way is not even a complaint.

The rooms... The room have a very "resort" feel to them. Everything is blue and different shades of white. The whole place makes you think of the ocean. The beds are very comfortable considering this hotel is in Japan. If you have never been in the land of the rising sun before, you might find the beds to be a bit stiff, but they are great for anyone was has lived here before. The rooms are well appointed. Expect what you would expect from an Intercontinental. If you are an Ambassador, expect more than you would from other hotels in this chain. A very nice surprise.

Room Tip: Beach view without a doubt. Don't even think about the extra cost. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank headinthelion
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This hotel does not fit the standard expectations one would have for a business hotel in a small "American" town in Japan. From the outside, there is no sense that it is actually a very comfortable and homey accommodation because it is a high rise next to a busy highway and several minute walk from the ocean. However, I really enjoyed my stay here for multiple reasons, and I think my review is justified because I can compare it to numerous other hotels I've stayed in Okinawa. Not only is the staff exceedingly nice and attentive, the rooms are very large, comfortable and clean. The bathroom alone and the giant tub area is worth the stay. But the best part of this hotel is chef and his crew. If you call yourself a "foodie" then you must stay or eat here. The menus for breakfast and dinner are full course, macrobiotic, locally grown, gorgeously arranged and delicious. I've been all over Japan and this is one of the top places I recommend for food. I was taken aback as I did not expect this, but am happy I discovered it, like a mini Japanese "french laundry." I can't say enough about this hotel, enjoy.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floors for the view (all of the rooms face the ferris wheel) and to hel...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I was here on business and someone from the base booked the hotel for our group. It is a very small hotel (number of rooms) but the rooms are huge! They all have wrap around decks with views of the water and bathrooms that are as big as the bedroom. You can float in the tub its that big. But all of that is not why i gave it 5 stars. Its the service! They spoke very little english but it never got in the way of getting what I needed. I had breakfast two mornings (order the night before from the front desk) and it was a little work of art. It was so good but so beautiful as well. Never had anything like it! We also booked the van to take us to the airport on the last day and that was great too. I can not say enough about this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sscat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatan-cho
0.6 km away
5.2 km away
Okinawa Grand Mer Resort
3.7 km away
EM wellness resort Costa Vista Okinawa hotel & spa
EM wellness resort Costa Vista O...
#1 of 1 in Kitanakagusuku-son

Been to Terrace Garden Mihama Resort? Share your experiences!