See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We were a family of 4 and stayed here for 6 nights this past August. We arrived through the back way and parked in the lot and found the owner/manager who led us to our room. The first room we were shown had a faulty/blown fuse that couldn’t be fixed that same day, which meant no power to room (no electricity, no lights, no air condition = not gonna happen). We were given a new room to accommodate the 4 of us. This was fine, a small hiccup, but it was corrected. What I didn’t care for upon first impression was that I wasn’t lead to the reception to do the official check in, so I never actually knew where reception was until we checked out. That means we missed all the leaflets and advertisements that were in the reception area indicating that there was a cultural exhibit just up the hill in the neighboring town. The other thing though is that the owner had told us to come by the pool for a ‘welcome drink.’ So we went to the pool and it was recommended to us by the owner who was sitting there, that we get the mojito because the bartender makes them well. So we ordered 3 mojitos. I didn’t like it, but what bothered me more, was that she charged us for the drinks. She told us upon arrival to come by the bar so that you can buy us a drink – and then recommended an alcoholic drink -- and then ask us to pay for it! That wasn’t classy at all. She also charged us for my niece’s juice drink. Common. If you want to give us a welcome drink, then make something non-alcoholic (cheap) and give it to us without us asking for it. Then we could order (and pay for) whatever we wanted.
Ok now -- about the actually property itself and the stay.
The good: a beautiful place, lovely landscaping with flowers and natural olive and fig trees everywhere creating nice shade and a lovely scent in the air. The room was a typical Greek accommodation, tough, thin beds and meager décor in the rooms. Precisely what I knew we were getting, no frills. The building nearest to the pool has double rooms and those rooms have remodeled bathrooms and new furniture, more in line with what an American traveler would expect. The family rooms on the other side of the property (where we stayed) was much more traditional. There was ample parking, it was well lit and safe, right off the main road, but on the quiet side of the island, so definitely not uber touristy and overrun. They offer beach towels, which we found out about too late into the stay, and would’ve been nice to know earlier so that we didn’t drag ours with to the island.
The bad: there were certainly a few things that could be remedied immediately. For a room that accommodates 4, the bed under the A/C unit hadn’t been moved in a while because when I had to move it away from the pounding of the A/C, there were cobwebs under the bed. I’m not sure how a mop missed that, but that was gross. Also, there was nastiness inside of the coffee maker. It was probably (hopefully) just built up water residue but it had accumulated and was visible. Obviously the coffee makers need to be cleaned – and not just the coffee pot. Also, for a room that accommodated 4 people, there weren’t 4 hooks in the bathroom to hang towels, so we had to take them outside, along with everything else, to dry. Towels weren’t changed every day, which was rather annoying, and neither were the sheets, though I care less about that. There was a teny-tiny shower that was impossible to maneuver in. These small stalls should be removed ASAP. All of us had to leave the shower door open while showering so that we could get our elbows up to shampoo our heads. This is horrible.
Other than the initial snafu with the drink, the owner and her mother-in-law were truly lovely people. We chatted with them every day and I was very candid with them with my review of their hotel when we left. I hope they take all the notes as positive suggestions to better their business. I would definitely stay here again if ever in Samos, especially after having driven the whole island and determined that we did in fact stay in the best spot. The location is ideal for being right on the water, on a lovely stretch of peaceful beach. You definitely need a rental car to get here, but once you’re here, there’s plenty of beach to explore by foot or if there’s a bike rental, you can get around well that way too. No bus service. Pythagoras’ cave is nearby, and again, you’ll want a car to get you most of the way up, then you begin the climb. Worth doing, pack water, and comfortable shoes. The northern side of the island is much windier, the beaches are abysmal and there’s tons of tourists. Unless you’re here specifically for water sports, don’t stay there. The southern side is cozier, more traditional, quieter and has better beaches.

Room Tip: It's my understanding that the rooms in the building by the pool are all doubles and have been renovated. The rooms for families are in the not-renovated buildings through the olive trees are where we stayed. Based on the photos, they are completely different inside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sofoula13
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at Aphrodite one week from 31:st of August this year. We had a studio which was of good size, clean and simple. The hotel is situated in a quiet place (olive grove style), close (ab. 150 m) to the best part of the Votsalakia/Kampos beach. There was a good range of nice restaurants in the resort.If you like to see more of Samos than the resort, you have to rent a car since public transport is more or less non existent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OboFinland
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July, 2012. We had a fantastic time and highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering a stay on the island. The hotel is on the quieter side of the island, we just loved being able to walk out to the beach and meander along finding shells or spots to stop and dine or have an afternoon beverage. There is a great local market (loved chatting with the Aussie owner) and a lovely gift shop down the road with lots of trinkets (not the touristy knickknacks).
When I had arranged for transportation to/from airport, I was surprised to see that it was the owner himself who picked us up and their son who took us back to airport (and a very early hour!). Almost had car trouble on the way to the hotel which turned into a funny story to add to our memories. When we arrived, they immediately sat us down to enjoy juice and rest in the courtyard while we were "checked" in. The room was clean, AC worked great, quiet at night, beds comfortable and pool was perfect. There were not many other guests while we were there, but we never experienced an excess of noise. Prices at pool bar weren't any higher than other hotels, simple food menu but the food was delicious.

Room Tip: Had a family apartment and it was simple, but quiet and clean.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Napatraveller1
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel one week from 16th of July this year and I just loved it! The rooms are clean and delicate with air-condition without extra pay, a safe, balcony,bathroom is excellent and the interior is delicate with a little kitchen there you can make some meals.
The staff is kind and helpful. Breakfast is included and is served outside in a little garden.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter and ask for sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anne-Lise F
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Really don't understand some of the bad reviews. Our room was simple and clean. It was quiet at night and I slept like a log. The location was perfect and the beach a 2minute walk away. The pool bar had a small, but perfect selection of lunch snacks. The burger is tasty and the pita souvlaki the best I tasted. Drinks overpriced?? They were exactly the same as every other bar/restaurant. The best thing about the hotel though, had to be the family that runs it. Nothing was ever too much trouble and they were very genuine and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple