Descanso del Toro(Vilcabamba)
US$70
  • Breakfast included
Jardin Escondido(Vilcabamba)
TripAdvisor
La Casa de Matilda(Vilcabamba)
Avalon Guest House(Vilcabamba)
Molino Tropical(Vilcabamba)
Casa La Caracola(Vilcabamba)
All reviewsowners and staffoatmealmud bathtile workthe entire staffconference centerprivate balconya lovely staymangocab ridetake homethe kitchen staffsights and soundsother guestsfruit treesfew dayslush gardens
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This place was truly amazing. Both Gayle and Peter the owners made us feel very comfortable during our stay at Medre Tierra. There both very involved with the day to day activities and take pride in there operation. The food was the freshest I've ever had at a restaurant and looked forward to every meal. The home made hummus and Guacamole with there fresh sun dried chips with flax seeds were so full of flavour. I have to also mention the coffee, "WOW" there coffee was the best I've ever had almost had a hint of chocolate flavour, the freshest coffee in the world comes from Vilcabamba.

We had a very early morning when we were departing for our flight to Quito, Gayle was so kind to offer preparing us with some muffins, cookies, banana and water for the drive to the airport in the morning. Such a warm gesture that my girlfriend and I truly appreciated.
What a great place and we both can't wait to get back to Madre Tierra to see the owners, experience there amazing food and views.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tyson C
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The stay was amazing, the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. The food was great. The views are stunning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I rode my motorcycle down to Vilcabamba about ten days ago, stayed four nights. It's a very nice place and they are in the process of making some improvements. But the staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is really laid back. Overall value is excellent with Superior Rooms costing around $55/night..but you get your own cabin with two to three beds, a balony with a fabulous view. The bathrooms were very clean and hot water was never an issue. The location of Madre Tierra is just outside of the village and getting into town is quite easy. The staff was very helpful and arranged a horseback trip for me into the mountains. This is a very clean, well run hotel, with nice rooms, great value and excellent food. You won't go wrong staying here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank tbanAnkara
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Wow...what a wonderful time my friend and I had here for 10+ days. We felt like we belonged immediately. It was so relaxing and rejuvenating. The hotel is owned and run by two families who were all such loving and friendly people. Especially Peter and Gayle and Ally their daughter who were always so gracious and caring. All the staff were very friendly and helpful as well and we made some wonderful friends amongst them. The views of the Andes and the village of Vilcabamba from our private balcony and the restaurant's verandah were glorious and we spent a great deal of time admiring those views while drinking cups of herb tea. Our room was perfect and the service we received was wonderful. The lush gardens around the hotel are gorgeous including the pool area. They have an organic permaculture farm as part of the complex which provides the restaurant with wonderful fresh produce. The food was delicious and healthy with many raw food items to chose from (we loved the raw key lime pie!!) and a hearty breakfast was included in the room rate. They have a lovely Juice Bar too that serves yummy smoothies etc. Gayle was also very happy to help create a tasty dish to our liking when requested. The Spa treatments were excellent as well. I feel I have made some new friends for life. I miss being there and am making it a top priority to go back there some time soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Dianne S
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Overlooking the valley of Vilcabamba is the Madre Tierra, a 5-star rustic hotel. It is overgrown with exotic plants and flagstore paths wind around the rooms. You have to climb up and down some stairs so if you're disabled, not the best place to stay. The views from the room are magnificent, well worth the stay but it's a little out of town. I like to be right in town. There's a wonderful spa.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view.. Here a couple of pictures to look at. http://womentravellingalone.blogspot.com/2009/07/vilcabamba-ecuador.html
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo