“Beauty and Solitude in Vilcabamba”

Madre Tierra Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilcabamba
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We arrived in Vilcabamba with no reservations, but three places to investigate. Madre Tierra ended up being the best of the three and as we investigated more hotels in the area over the next three days, we discovered it is the best option in the entire area. In addition, over our 15 day trip in Ecuador, this was one of our top two hotels of the trip. The grounds are perfectly maintained, the staff is friendly and outgoing, and the owners treated us like family. The rooms are spacious, smartly decorated, with great views and the beds are very comfortable. The prices are reasonable and the food was excellent. Everything was just right. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SnailBoyIllinois

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Madre Tierra--which means Mother Earth is actually Heaven on Earth! After a loco bus ride from Cuenca and no reservations, a hostel was all that we could find. After one night, I downloaded the latest travel book on my iphone and found Madre Tierra. I walked...no ran to the the plaza where the taxi's are located and they took me 1 mile north to now my most favorite place on earth...Madre Tierra. The minute I stepped out of the taxi and began to climb the stairs(think: song Stairway to Heaven) I felt I found paradise. Beautiful flowers and fruit trees surrounded me as I climbed my way to the office and met the most precious, helpful people who shifted rooms around to accomodate me and Kevin. Apparently it was a holiday weekend and they were mostly full, yet they put us in room 6 for one night and then moved us to room 15 for the next two nights. When I stepped into room 6(you must stay in room 6:)) the soothing colors and the spacious balcony...with hammock!!...overlooking Vilcabamba brought tears to my eyes. Later, I took a shower before dinner. When I turned on the water, I kid you not, it was like stepping under a waterfall in the mountains because the shower was literally decorated like a mountain, rocks and all!! So orginial!! Next day two people showed up to move us to room 15. Room 15??? Right by the SPA! Yea!!!! Spa=FABULOUS. Had the best massage of my life and right after massage...the best facial of my life. Now, this is a bit embarrasing, so don't tell anyone. I was literally so relaxed that I feel asleep during my facial after my massage and started snoring!! The sweet little therapist gently woke me up. Embarassed, but relaxed. Ok, food: THE BEST. Every morning fresh, unlimited REAL coffee, no love affair at Madre Tierra with Nescafe like the rest of Ecuador.(BTW, desayuno included in price). Fresh eggs, milk, jams, breads, etc...Then, a chalk board announces the special for dinner. Everything made fresh from scratch and you could literally look into the kitchen while it was prepared. Note also that we saw "hands on" from the most beautiful, precious couple...(owners) the entire time we were their guests. They never missed a moment to let us know how much they appreciated us and attended to every detail. I could go on and on....but this is a MUST stay place when you come to Ecuador. I promise you won't want to leave.....Lynn/Houston, TX PS: You will be totally suprised when you get your bill.....would have paid at least 3x amount anywhere in US.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lbuchanan2012
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We want to thank Peter, his family and the staff at Madre Tierra for the wonderful visit that we were able to spend while in Vilcabamba, Ecuador. Our communications with Peter and his staff began prior to our visit with changing plans happening just before we departed the States heading to Ecuador. Not only were they accommodating, but went out of their way to assist us once we arrived at the airport in Guayaquil. When we chose not to rent a vehicle after seeing the different driving style in Ecuador over that of the States and Peter’s staff went above and beyond in getting our transportation to Vilcabamba locked on in three legs (Guayaquil to Cuenca, Cuenca to Loja, Loja to Vilcabamba). Once we arrived at Madre Tierra, we were shown different rooms that were available and chose one that we affectionately came to call “the Hobbit Room” since the entry way is built slightly lower the rest of the room with a step “down” into the room. (Thing to remember is that Ecuadorian people are not as tall as Americans)
We were initially going to stay for only two nights before heading back to Cuenca but decided to extend our stay by a couple days. When we discussed this with Peter and staff, they extended our reservation and said that they were glad that we could stay on a few days longer. The room was cleaned daily and were provided with everything that would be expected in an American hotel. (We had no problem with security while there as I had a laptop and roughly $1500 worth of camera gear that was left in the open in the secured room daily and none of it was touched nor was the money belt that we had in a bag in the room; in fact, we got locked out of our room and the staff had to track down the person that had the only other key to the room in order to get back in) Peter, his family and the entire staff treated us as I would treat family and it was the best hotel we stayed in while we were on our two week vacation in Ecuador. The hammocks were relaxing, the food was outstanding and the massage was soooooo relaxing. City centre for Vilcabamba was a short walk from Madre Tierra and when we were ready (not wanting to, but ready) to leave, the check out was handled the night prior due to our early departure by the same driver that brought us there from Loja and was arranged by the staff. Being fussy about many things, we have to say that our stay at Madre Tierra made our trip to Ecuador such a memorable one. We so look forward to returning on our next trip to Ecuador in coming years.

Room Tip: They are all great rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tony L
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I recently stayed at this place with my family. The food was great and the facility is gorgeous with great views of the mountain. The facility is dotted with tropical fruit tress. The staff is extremly helpful and were of great help arranging various activities liks horseback riding tours etc. The rooms were clean and roomy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sanjay T
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I really enjoyed Madre Tierra, a lot of nature, wonderful landscapes. I loved cinnamon bread.
The staff were very helpful and guide us during our trip. The rooms are very clean and the food was very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Eli J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilcabamba
27.6 km away
0.0 km away
Hosteria El Descanso de Ramses
Hosteria El Descanso de Ramses
#9 of 10 in Vilcabamba

Been to Madre Tierra Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!