Lowest prices for your stay
FindHotel
US$130
US$118
View deal
Free cancellation until 01/08/21
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Official Hotel SiteUS$130
All reviews warm cookies doubletree by hilton spa break included dinner lovely spa spa team late checkout min drive penthouse suite sauna and steam room park and ride great facilities restaurant menu large tv excellent hotel two night stay leisure facilities
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 June 2021

In early May, I booked for a two night spa break for the 03/06/2021. On 12th May I received an email from the hotel asking me to book the spa treatments, pool times and dinner reservations. I phoned the hotel to book dinner and was put through to the Spa to book treatments for my wife and myself for the Friday. I subsequently received numerous emails offering various additions.

I received a telephone message on the morning of 1st June, to say that there was a staffing problem and the Spa treatments were no longer available. When I telephoned the hotel I was then told that they had no record of my spa booking and all spa treatment slots were now filled, which I found rather strange as there was a booking for my dinner. I now had a spa break with no spa treatments.

After being in lock down for over a year this was to have been a small treat for my wife, the result was, I am left with no spa break and no opportunity to book elsewhere on such short notice.

I would like to thank the management and staff for their total incompetence in our bookings thus ruining our 14th wedding anniversary spa break treat

Date of stay: June 2021
1  Thank 689robertj
David Rowley, General Manager at Cambridge Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2021

Dear 69robertj,

Thanks for the review. I am sorry to read that you were unable to have your spa treatment especially as it was such a special occasion.

Due to a shortage of therapists we were unable to carry out your spa treatment and I am pleased that the team contacted you in advance of your stay. We were still able to carry out a number of treatments and of course the onsite team would not be able to see your booking as this had needed to be cancelled. We are working hard to fix this issue as I can well imagine the disappointment this would have caused.

I was pleased to be able to speak to you directly and put things right.

Reviewed 1 June 2021

I am frankly disappointed, this hotel promised much and delivered oh so little.

The breakfast service, even given the restrictions of Covid, was poor. Serving tea from a flask is not good thing to do, I had tea which ranged from hot and weak to stewed and cold. It was apparent that the leadership in the restaurant at breakfast was laughably lacking, the staff all clustered around one corner and I had to leave my table and approach them to get a refill of my tea cup. Some members of the serving staff were unable to keep their masks in place, and were constantly touching their face and nose as they moved their mask. There was very little evidence of the waiting staff using hand sanitizer and at least one front desk person wasn't wearing a mask. There was no zero sugar cereal option and on the last day some of the cooked items were very nearly cold. I complained on my second morning regarding the breakfast service and on the next morning there was no evidence that any action had been taken.

Room tip: Make sure your room is not adjacent to the lift and stairs. There is NO A/C
Date of stay: May 2021
David Rowley, General Manager at Cambridge Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2021

Dear Diamond1960,

Thanks for reviewing the Hotel. I am sorry that your breakfast experience marred your stay with us. It was a busy Bank Holiday weekend and so amendments were made to ensure a fast service for all guests. Masks and other precautions are very important to us so the feedback will be shared with the team.

Reviewed 31 May 2021

Nice location, nice clean rooms, food in restaurant very good. The negatives, had room service for breakfast left tray outside room at about 11 am with leftover food. Went into cambridge for the day, returned to room to find tray and stale food still outside my door! Room was not cleaned - only once I called to have breakfast removed did someone ask if I wanted the room cleaned, even though I had left the card on the door all day to state that the room was ready to be cleaned. I ordered drinks and sandwiches for room, glass provided was not clean and had someone's lipstick still on it!! Hygiene and cleanliness are paramount so that's why this hotel is just Ok for me.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Splashvidal,

Thanks for the review. We want to be a lot more than just OK, so I am sorry you left disappointed about some aspects of the experience.

Rooms should be refreshed daily so I am sorry this appeared to have been missed for you. Hygiene is also of paramount importance to us and all glassware is sterilised by a professional glass wash machine before being served to a guest. Whilst sterilised, some lipsticks can remain on a glass but this should have been picked up before being given to you.

I am glad that dining and your room was a positive part of your experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2021

We visited The Belfry Cambridge for a couple of days on our way down to London. We chose it for the pool so our little boy could play while we were here. Check in was seamless and professional and we got a chocolate brownie while my partner and son could go swimming straight away (despite usually having to book a place with COVID restrictions in place). The room was perfect; big and clean! The rest of the hotel was immaculate. All the staff couldn’t do enough to help us. The bed was comfy and we had a great couple of nights sleep. Breakfast was lovely and still managed to figure out how we could help ourselves but still sticking to COVID guidelines. Breakfast staff were so kind and couldn’t do enough, especially Laura. They kept my little one entertained and gave him fish food for the lake outside which he loved! All facilities were top spec and we would definitely recommend staying here. Just a short drive to Cambridge and across the road from shops and petrol.

Trip type: Travelled with family
David Rowley, General Manager at Cambridge Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2021

Dear D3916BNrebeccac,

Thanks for the review. I am so pleased to read that your stay was an enjoyable one. I am pleased Laura and the rest of the team looked after you and I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2021 via mobile

Arrived and was greeted by Dora and she was training another staff member (I think her name was Mollie), who were both lovely and friendly and made me feel very welcome. The salted caramel brownies were a lovely touch, and were much appreciated after a long drive.

The room is tired, with a real lack of attention to detail. We had cobwebs on the ceiling, a sink with a huge crack and a faulty bath plug, that takes 3 hours to drain any water (pictures attached). The rooms are also just generally untidy with marks all over the wood, chips and dents. The bed is two singles pushed together. The armchairs were stained, and the room has very dull lighting.

We then went for a drink in the bar, which was a lovely area, but the service was very slow. Completely understand the reason for the slow service, given the only staff member in the bar was a young chap, who was taking orders, pouring drinks and delivering them to tables all on his own. This young staff member was an asset to the bar, and last night would have been a disaster without him.

We decided to stay in the bar for dinner, as the chairs were very comfy, we ordered a burger and a salad - the burger was average and the halloumi salad was good. Portion sizes were very good.
Due to the slow service, we decided to ask for an ice bucket and champagne glasses to take back to the room and order desert for room service. The young bar staff, were very accommodating and arranged this for us. The deserts were lovely and arrived very promptly by a young chap obviously in training.

The bed is incredibly uncomfortable, hard and lumpy. After a lot of tossing and turning I decided to speak to reception, again Dora and her trainee were very friendly and helpful and offered me to try another room. Unfortunately the bed in the other room was the same, and they sorted for an extra duvet to be sent to my room that I could sleep on top of. I really appreciated that.

We decided to order breakfast in the room as a treat, the breakfast arrival was good - however again an evident theme with this hotel, a lack of attention to detail. No spoon was provided for yogurts, forcing my other half to eat his yogurt with a fork. Not enough toast provided for two and tea and coffee as ordered never arrived, I therefore contacted reception who bought tea and coffee, 30 minutes later.

Overall, the staff make this hotel, with the hotel being very disappointing. This hotel did not feel like a treat away, but more a disappointing experience.

We would not return, and would not recommend any friends to visit.

Room tip: Good parking
Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Elltom9,

Thanks for visiting the hotel during our first week of full opening. I am pleased that you found the a positive part of the experience. Inevitably, full table service is a little slower than normal but I am glad the team member was accommodating.

I have noted the issues in your room and with room service and these are certainly not the norm. I will share the feedback with the team so that we learn from your feedback.

David Rowleye