“My Paradise!”
Review of Chez Maria Goretti

Chez Maria Goretti
Ranked #13 of 34 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Wonderfull garden. Delicious food. Clean rooms. Kind staff.
I could not dream of a better place!
Jorunn, Norway

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 January 2012

The owner Maria was not so friendly to us when we arrived, but the room we got was nice. Only problem was that there were no curtans in front of the bathroom window or the shower. The garden is great and the breakfast aswell. The location is not so good, as it takes you 15 min to walk to the center. But the price was ok for what you got, compared to the other places we have seen.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have nice time during my two weeks on Rapa Nui. It was not my first time there, but I always enjoyed the place. One of the reasons for that enjoyment was staying at Chez Maria Goretti. Property looks like a botanic garden with all kind of flowers surrounding guests. Chez Maria Goretti is very nice and peaceful place with friendly crew and service. They know how to arrange things like rental car, tours, shopping and all other activities needed for visitors usually spending on Rapa Nui just a few days. This place is reasonably priced. Food was good and with local taste, such as local fresh fish, guava fresh juice and local fruit salads. I was the first swimmer in new swimming pool which was just finished on property. Another ongoing project was WIFI Internet for the guests. I hope it will be on next time I will come back.

Room Tip: There are family rooms there for travelers with kids.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ValD29
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Average for what it was: a clean, no-frills base for exploring the island. Not a room you'd want to hang out in for a whole day, but absolutely fine to sleep and go.

The good news:
- We booked this place for 5 nights as the price was right (booked by a friend in Chile as part of a package deal with the flights to Easter Island).
- We were collected from the airport (the lady waited outside the airport building) and given flower garlands and driven the 10 mins to the hotel.
- We were given a drink and shown our room; a wooden chalet building away from the main building. The walls were wood-panelled and there was a picture on the wall (see pics)
- It was quiet while we were there (except the dogs howling on one night).
- The gardens the chalets are set in a very pretty and give some privacy.
- Basic room but quite adequate: bed, side tables, lamp, wardrobe, table and 2 chairs. Seemed clean enough. Bathroom basic. The water was hot (except one evening when the gas canister needed changing, which they did in 30 mins).
- The bed was perfectly comfortable.
- The towels and bedding were changed daily.
- There was one lovely lady who spoke decent English - Nicole - who helped us book a tour and organised car hire for a couple of days. She was a real asset to this place.
- Food in the morning was pretty decent, although the same was on offer every morning.
- Situated 5 mins from the main dining area of Hanga Roa and 5-10 mins walk from the coast and your first sight of heads (Moai)

Downsides:
Few staff who spoke English well but most could say a little (but then our Spanish, and French, wasn't much better and we got by just fine)
No TV, aircon, phone (not that I personally cared about any of this)
Shower was a bit of a battle of wills in the morning to get the temperature right and get the pipes to stop rattling, but water was hot and I've stayed in worse.
There were indeed roaches in the shower (this IS a wooden structure so things can get in) but I only saw two mozzies in 5 nights which was my primary worry. No spiders either. I don't care about bugs personally; just don't want to be bitten.
DOGS everywhere, one of which ran at my partner barking and growling from the driveway of the hotel one night (and he's scared of dogs). We complained and the owner said it was a stray. There are many feral dogs on Easter Island.

To be honest, this was fine as long as you're accepting in advance that (1) this is a basic stay; and (ii) if you're on Easter island, you'll want to be out most of the time and this is a decent enough base, only 5 mins walk from the part of Hanga Roa with restaurants and mini supermarkets. Not one for luxury or overly friendly staff - they seemed quite distant but I suspect the language thing was an issue. I would stay again for the price as part of a package. I'd rather send my money on fab food and exploring than a nicer room I had little intention of spending time in.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 7 May 2010

First off, this hotel speaks French. If you have any problems, you won't have anyone to discuss them with. This hotel is actively unfriendly to people who don't know the French language. Unfortunately, I know it well enough to know when people are insulting me in my presence and such was the case with the staff here...

I wanted to sleep one afternoon and the staff made as much noise as possible in an attempt to get me to leave my room. Also, the hotel plays a continuous stream of loud music from the main area that makes sleeping in the afternoon impossible. The area is near to a lot of roosters and stray dogs that make noise all the time. The only TV is in main dining area.

The food was okay but it was exactly the same thing every day. Regarding the room : they put me next to noisy guests who were up all night, or put related guests on either side of me so they would cross back and forth to visit each other. Didn't refill my toilet paper on last day or change my room.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo