See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

This is a difficult review for me, because I think hotel Tupa has a lot of potential, but a few flaws that disturbed me a bit.

I stayed at the Tupa hotel in Hanga Roa for 7 nights in April / May. At the time of the booking, this was a mid-range hotel, not the cheapest, not the most expensive.
Here are a few notes about the hotel:

- No internet/wifi in my room. Only in a lobby, sometimes ( a bit spotty) and usually slow

- The lobby is nice, with some couches and a beautiful view to the ocean and the very nice garden outside

- There were, as other reported, cockroaches in my room, corridor and outside . Although in the tropics, they are probably hard to avoid, and they proably come from the garden, I did not enjoy their presence. Some of them were HUGE ! Most of the time, I saw only a few small ones in my room, but on the first night, there were many, and some big ones. Probably due to the weather. So you may get lucky with them, depending...

- Very old and dirty carpet and paint in the creepy corridor, which don't give a very good image of the hotel, which otherwise is quite ok, clean and pleasant

- My room was clean and quite nice with a large bed. It is nice to have a mini-fridge to cool drinks

- No A/C. Although not absolutely mandatory with the temperatures I encountered in April/May, it would make the room much more enjoyable

- Nice staff. Some spoke english, some not, but all were nice, helpful and friendly

- Breakfast was ok, but nothing special, not much variation, and not so high quality

- On my first night, there was a huge party in the hotel area, with about 50 teenagers, who were lodging at the hotel. I had to wear my earplugs to have a chance to sleep. It is ironic that the reception asks you to sign the rules of the house upon arrive (along with the immediate payment of the full stay, in cash USD), which say no noise after 23:00. But then they allow a party... the rest of the time, the hotel was very quiet though, so I think the party was an exception

All in all, Tupa hotel is not bad, it has its pros and cons. I think if the corridor was renovated, the roaches dealt with and the breakfast improved a bit, it would easily get a 4* mark from me. The garden alone is so lovely...

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank mistikato
Reviewed 16 March 2017

I had to pinch myself to believe I was actually on Easter Is/Rapa Nui/Isla de Pascua... what an amazing experience! Hotel Tupa was the one booked for us by our tour company - a company that prides itself on supporting locally owned and operated businesses. We thoroughly enjoyed staying there. We were able to walk to local places (though the return home is kind of uphill)... Not too far from the Hanga Roa shopping centre and also not far from our 'go-to' favourite restaurant (Haka Honu)... Our room was spacious and comfortable, the cleaning lady inventive with her enjoyable towel animals, a plentiful breakfast, comfortable common areas (lobby, patios and sitting rooms) and all quite quiet. Loved the chickens that wandered in the sub-tropical garden. English was not the staff's best talent but somehow we all managed to sort out whatever needed sorting... As we had pre-booked tours, once we were checked in we were pretty much organised. The wifi works in the lounge and common areas - not an uncommon experience for me and hey, when you are in the most remote island in the Pacific, what a luxury it is to have wifi at all! A great excuse to turn off from the rest of the universe and focus on being here. Iorana!

Room tip: At our end of the complex it took quite a while for the hot water to come through so patience (and a lot of water) is needed.
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

There are definite pros to this property.

1. Airport pick up was good.
2. The young guy that manned the reception desk most of the time was helpful and friendly.
3. They were happy to do laundry (for which I happily paid).
4. It's relatively cheap.

BUT.

5. Hot water was a big problem. The property tried to resolve this but it was never great.
6. Fly screens are not in great shape there are going to be mosquitos at night.
7. For me the breakfast was really disappointing. Might just be me.
8. If you are in any of the rooms on the left of the property be prepared to be woken by roosters crowing. Pretty much at any time of night.
9. There is only one power point in each room. You will need an adapter that works for Chile.
10. The internet/phone coverage is pretty terrible. No internet in rooms.
11. Finished there on an unpleasant note where they accused me of stealing a towel. I offered to open my bags and show them. They were pretty crappy towels. I don't think any sane person would take one.

If any friends or family we're going to Easter Island I would not be able to recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank dragonmann
Reviewed 28 October 2016

I did not want to stay at a 'destination hotel'. The island was the attraction. So I chose a more basic hotel & it didn't disappoint.

The room was very large & clean, I had a view to the ocean, a bathtub (lovely luxury at the end of a day of sightseeing), a good breakfast, an iron & ironing board, plenty of blankets and free carparking on site.

The Manager & her staff were very good. Despite language differences, they gave me helpful tips about sightseeing & places to eat. They also checked a few times whether I needed anything.

I think it might be a difficult place to stay without a car, unless you are going on an organised tour. However, it's easy to drive yourself around the island & I'm glad I did this.

Lucky you, going on holiday to Easter Island. It's very special & (in my opinion) Tupa is basic but absolutely fine & I would stay there again. Thank you to the Manager. It was very nice to meet you.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 11 May 2016

Really enjoyed our 4 night stay at this hotel. Stayed in room 20 which was spacious, clean and had a great view from the chairs just outside our patio door. The decor is a bit old but who cares it's Easter Island! The hotel staff pick you up from the airport and take you back so no messing around with taxis. The breakfast is of good quality, the communal sitting area is really nice and the staff are excellent. There are safe deposit boxes for any valuables you might want to lock up but the rooms are very secure anyway. The only thing I missed in the room was a kettle so you could make your own tea and coffee. The hotel is just a 10 minute walk to the town or the harbour so ideal location. I would like to say a special thanks to Javi for making our 16th wedding anniversary so special and memorable. i did not want to leave and I will definitely stay here again if I return to Easter Island. Thank you Tupa Hotel!

Date of stay: May 2016