All reviewscar parkeggs benedictbiscuitslovely decorbreakfast was deliciouschoice of fresh fruitb and beach morningsmall talkfree parking passbreakfast hamperice blockskettle with tea coffeethe main high streetleft alonefull englishyogurt
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had a four night stay at Durham House at the beginning of the month. We do not have much experience with staying in B&Bs, but if all are to the same high standard then we will be making more use of them.
Richard and his team make you very welcome and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean and the en-suite was to a high standard. The breakfast was extremely generous with a good variety available.
All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkB_3815
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

I chose it due to it's good trip advisor rating. It utterly failed me. At 7pm there was no one to greet us, just an envelope with a key. The phone left for getting assistance gets you to voicemail. Our room was tiny, we could not have all 3 pieces our luggage open at the same time... the shower a drizzle. A disappointment.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GZ1953
rhjackson, Owner at Durham House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the small room however the room is advertised - a very small double room and the room tariff is priced accordingly.
As stated on the welcome letter I cannot always be in when guests arrive as I may be taking my kids to clubs, shopping or other family commitments. If I do miss the guests when they arrive I always come up and knock on the door to greet them. Unfortunately you were not in your room when I returned home so I was unable to greet you.
I am never far away from the B&B and if a voicemail message was left I would have returned to meet you.
If available I always offer an upgrade to one of the other rooms; however during your stay we were fully booked so no alternative could be made. If you complained to me at the time I would offered a full refund so you could seek accomodation more suited to your needs elsewhere.
As with all old villages & old properties the water pressure may not always be as high as you experience at home.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Without doubt the best b&b I have stayed in. The customer service is brilliant the lady and man that run it are Fantis and lovely people. Was visiting during regatta week with my sister and other family who have stayed there before and have raved about it. It was my 18th regatta year in a row and this made it the best place I stayed in those 18 years. I literally have no complaints about it. I recommend this to everyone who goes to beer. Thank you for an awesome time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2017

We have stayed at Durham House many, many times as my Partner has a summer job locally. He starts early and the proprietors are always very happy to provide him with breakfast ahead of normal breakfast time. The breakfasts are wonderful with the best bacon I have ever tasted plus fruit, yogurt, juice, condiments, tea and coffee which are all quality products and taste delicious. Durham House itself is light, airy and spotlessly clean with very comfortable beds and white fluffy towels. The friendly owners bend over backwards to ensure a happy stay - even providing us with a cool bag and ice blocks to take to the beach when we announced our engagement! They had popped a bottle of prosecco inside! Cheers and we look forward to many happy stays there. Can recommend Durham House without question.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2017

We read several good reviews for Durham House which was confirmed by their website which states under description guest rooms “Modern en-suite facilities with walk in showers” so we were pleased to see that there was one small double room with private shower room available on our required dates.
We were rather surprised when we arrived to find that our room, No 4, did not have an en-suite shower room but instead had a shower room which is situated down the landing between two other rooms. This room is VERY small (3.2m x 2.4m) with no space for a bedside table on one side of the bed. It is also rather noisy as the window opens onto the High Street so all sounds from the road, including early morning deliveries, are clearly audible in the room.
When we approached the proprietor he said that room was advertised as having a private bathroom which apparently means it is not en-suite (we have learned something). He offered to refund us our money so that we could find something else but at 6 o’clock on a Friday in July this wasn’t viable so we stayed on. He pointed out that the price was set to reflect the room’s drawbacks but as this was the only room available when booking we would never have realised this as there was nothing to compare it to.
It would appear from the many other reviews that the rest of the B&B is very comfortable. However we feel it would be helpful if people were aware that if they book room 4, the small double with private shower room, it does come with its limitations which is not made clear on the website.

Room Tip: Avoid Room No 4 - refer full review
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
rhjackson, Owner at Durham House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Thank you for your comments. The room was as described - a very small double with private bathroom overlooking Beer Fore Street. This compact room is mostly booked for walkers passing through Beer as it is the cheapest room available in the area. It is the only room within Durham House which does not have an en-suite therefore it is priced & advertised to reflect this.
On arrival and after seeing the room You declined the offer of a full refund and getting booked into the Dolphin Hotel which had an ensuite room available. We are therefore disappointed to receive a negative review when an alternative option was made available to you.