TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewspizzathe pubrooms are smallglass of wineboarroom was cleancooked breakfasthokianga harbourseafoodlive musicclassic kiwigreat atmospherelarge showerkauri treeslovely locationacross the roadstayed here for nights
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Nice place friendly people but the dinner was not good my wife's lamb cutlets were mutton and badly cooked my meal was a non roast of pork otherwise a good place

Use for accomodation as this was comfortable and tidy

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Very disappointing the web site did not say restaurant was not open every night.
Room small but lovely room with a view of the sea - amazing would come back again very soon
This is an amazing part of New Zealand - relaxing, quite, and truly beautiful - definitely a must to visit

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2017

On our trip "Up North" to Cape Reinga booked at the Opononi knowing little about it apart from its geographic location about half way from Auckland to the Cape. Drive there was great and the final view over Hokianga Harbour was spectacular and very much a surprise. Drove past the hotel thinking it was not near the pub and again surprised when we stopped. Limited rooms and I was a bit dubious at first until the room was opened. Beautifully appointed and fresh. Beach themed furnishings but very skeik. Bathroom substantial and the water hot.... a must for me. Bed was very comfortable. Three of us sat on the small verandah overlooking the car park and it was surprisingly quiet despite the comings and goings. We had wine and cheese there for a few hours so had it been otherwise than quiet that would not have happened. We did not go to the restaurant (Boar and Marlin) in the 'pub' but the menu was extensive and offered a range of seafood - as you would expect - and also pastas, steaks etc. If I do this trip again I shall be staying here when I do.

Room Tip: My room abutted the hotel car park but it was very quiet and I would suggest staying on that side.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank 52Mustang51
Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

A nice location with the story of the dolphin Opo from the 1950's; sweet museum with a film about the dolphin. Hotel had noisy roof (rats? Cats?) scratching all night. Great view of the bay. Dinner was the hot stone grill which was unique & delicious (lamb & beef). Odd restaurant hours. Rooms pretty basic with coffee and refrig. Nice staff.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2017

We were not staying here but wanted somewhere to go out for dinner.

Service was very friendly here and totally professional.

The food was very nice, although it took a bit of time to get to us.

We noticed that our waitress was also serving behind the bar and we asked her about it at the end of the night when we were settling our bill.

Turned out that two people were off sick and she was covering for one them as well. With her lovely smile and friendly attitude we would never have otherwise known - you would never know how run off her feet she must have been.

What an asset to the business.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple