The Crown Hotel
Agoda.com
Astwell Mill(Brackley)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Visited the hotel for a private function and living some distance away I decided to book a room and stay overnight not expecting anything too much after reading the reviews. The room itself (22) was smallish but clean, very dated (bathroom had been refurbed though). After living in the room for a couple of hours the TV failed to pick up a constant signal and the bed had most definitely seen better days. The room itself was comfortable enough, but not exceptional. However the location of this room may have caused anyone with poor mobility some issues as it was in the very top of the building up several staircases and interlinking corridors.

The staff at this hotel at this hotel, whilst friendly enough were all foreign and in many cases very difficult to understand. The breakfast on my booking was included FOC, it was mediocre, the cooked breakfast was in a buffet style, however the eggs were thrown onto a plate and left congealing on the side, the bacon and sausages had seen better days and the beans had been lingering for a while. If I'd have optionally paid for it I would have felt robbed.

On the whole my visit was too bad. It just wasn't exceptionally good. I would say that this hotel is more about functionality rather than luxury. If your looking for a sumptuous experience then this isn't for you. However if your just wanting a bed with not too much else this meets the grade.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Stayed in one of the newer stable rooms away from the main hotel. The rooms are fairly modern and basic. The biggest flaw of the room is the fire escape light above the exit door which when you turn the lights out to go to sleep continues to glow an extremely bright green.
Two towels and several pairs of socks failed to quell the iridescence of the damn thing. It’s not as though the room was so big as you would struggle to find the exit in the event of a fire.
That aside, with the duvet pulled over my head I did manage a fairly good nights sleep as the bed was quite comfy.

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 19 January 2018

This pub restaurant is very distressed . The young barman was pleasant enough. We ordered macaroni cheese. The dish wasn't macoroni pasta and the sauce was sloppy it was more pasta bake!!! I ate mine it was ok my friend didn't like it as she'd ordered macaroni cheese. We sent hers back and nicely asked for a refund. The manager wouldnt talk to us when he eventually did he was crazy becoming angry for no reason and mishandling the complaint. He only refunded when we dialled management he then announced we were barred !!!!!!! Outrageous truly strange behaviour he needs removing!!!!!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gretton
Reviewed 18 January 2018

What a great experience. Beautiful old building, just mind your head on the beams going up the stairs and in some of the rooms if you are tall! :). My father and I's were roomy, wonderfully clean and extremely comfortable. The manager and staff could not do enough for us. No elevator but they hauled our bags up three flights of stairs. The bar felt warm and cozy on a cold winters night and the slight smell of the 'real' fireplace was awesome. Did not eat in the Restaurant for Dinner, but the English Breakfast oh my goodness, freshly cooked, absolutely delicious. I have no hesitation in recommending.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

On first arrival it looks ok and as a cheap holiday 30 pound a night each for a family room with 3 adults in we thought well what can you expect but we didn’t expect it being something half faulty towers half horror film we check into our first room to find the door did not fit the tv did not work and there were mushrooms growing from the wall when I confronted the front desk about it he looked confused as to how they had got there as if they had poped up after it had been cleaned our second room was. Much better although with sloping ceilings and floors it felt like a circus fun house I would advise getting food at a pub just up the road we ate there and it was very nice Shane we couldn’t have stayed there breakfast was a similar affair great if you love fighting for three rashes of backib between 20 people and greasy eggs left stacked on a plate over all it is a cheap hotel but there is no excuse for the unclean and unsanitary conditions that it was in I would not be returning

Stayed: January 2018