“Sandtastic”

Little Polynesian Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Titikaveka
Reviewed 9 June 2017

I'm a simple man with simple tastes; I like my tea with a splash of milk, and my infinity pool delicately cascading in the foreground of a picturesque beachfront with matching turquoise hue. Luckily for me, both were on offer in this sumptuous yet homely, intimate resort. Allow me to paint you a picture of my recent sojourn.

Not a rich man, am I. Stumbling across this deal on the TreatMe website allowed me the opportunity to briefly delve into the much coveted lifestyle of the 'one percent'; Those who pay full price when purchasing a bed and don't smell like the inside of an overcrowded bus after work. A positive scan on TripAdvisor spiked as much interest from me as accrued interest was to appear on my credit card in the forthcoming months. The Little Polynesian Resort became home for my alluring other half and I for five stunning nights.

The beach, not three feet from the foot of the divine swimming pool, is magnificent. You need not travel from Titikaveka in search of more sublime waters. A distant breakwall has allowed for a still, clear body of water above soft, warm, sand; an idyllic, picturesque scene. One can saunter toward the enchanting horizon for a great distance before the depth puts a burden on your stride, and I'm no Robert Wadlow. Immerse yourself in the welcoming South Pacific and engross in the striking, plentiful marine life. Little Poly provides a complimentary snorkel mask and those feet fish fin things. (Sorry, I'm on a pay-per-alliteration contract.) She paddle-boarded while I made friends with the finned contingent. Upon dusk, take the opportunity to gaze toward a breathtaking star spangled skyline with the soundtrack of smooth, gentle swash and backwash. We were lucky enough to have the ocean and beach all to ourselves on several occasions. Such was the quiet atmosphere of the locality, rather than a personal hygiene issue.

We resided in comfortable, intimate bungalow eight. The fresh morning air swiftly fills the elegantly decorated interior following the hazy beams of the rising sun as we raise the blinds and step afoot our private deck, eagerly awaiting our delightful, inclusive breakfast. Mixed fruit platter awakens the palate before cereals, toast, coffees & teas focus the mind and prepare the body for another glorious day of doing very little. We enjoyed a jacuzzi on a number of occasions (one) in our secluded back area, one of three bungalows to afford such luxury. An opulent outdoor shower only eclipsed by its polycephalic indoor twin completes the allure of the gracefully designed salle de bain. If indeed you possess the mental and physical capacity to part from the amorous, lavish snooze-haven, you could also enjoy your morning meal at the quiet poolside dining area. The resort's highly rated restaurant lived up to its reputation on each of our visits. Jiutta and Leilani were so incredibly personable, friendly and welcoming; common traits to every staff member we came across. This complimented the delectable cuisine we devoured on several occasions. Sizzling surf & turf, pork wrap, chicken/fish/beef burgers, fish cakes - absolutely no complaints. Our free daily cocktail concluded a rating at an unprecedented 11/10 for us, if only mathematically possible. Upon research, this is not possible.

We rented a car for two days for about $130. You can lap the island in less than an hour. I would highly recommend watching the sunrise. It's an eight minute drive counter-clockwise, turn onto Kaireva Drive (look for Avana Waterfront Apartments). A sensational viewing, if I don't fall asleep writing this I'll add a picture. It rose for us just after 7am, don't worry, the local poultry will remind you when it's time to wake. Every time we left our abode we were just as excited to return. Beautiful April pops in for a turndown service in the evening, winds down all the shades and bids us a wonderful goodnight. I'm still not sure what that's all about but we got free chocolate so I went along with it. Cheers April.

They say nothing is perfect, even the Beatles had some head-scratchers. We did have one minor complaint. One day through some miscommunication our room was skipped in the daily cleaning schedule. This may have been down to my lethargic blend of general murmuring and an Irish accent. Regardless, upon notification it was swiftly rectified and we somehow ended up with a second complimentary bottle of wine. This may also have been a result of my accent. Stereotypes do exist for a reason. There is a hike across the middle of this scenic island, research 'The Needle'. You can start in the town on the north of the island, take the trek up the mountain, enjoy the awe-inspiring views and return on the south side near your resort, all in about three hours. Every day I psyched myself up to conquer this feat. Every day I napped instead and had lunch and a few beers on the beach with little to no physical effort. I regret nothing.

We eventually bid farewell to the reception staff in their entirety as our airport shuttle whisked us away. Marilyn on the front desk gave us a lovely shell necklace and a fond goodbye, a personable touch that encapsulates the embracing nature of this distinguished resort. There are only three reasons why you would ever consider exiting this establishment - a tsunami, that gorgeous sunrise, your regretful flight home.

Room Tip: Bungalow 8 has a jacuzzi. Beach front rather than garden view, glorious.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Pruntinho

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for a special spot for a romantic dinner, chose little polynesian and coudn't be any better..!!! From the girl at the bar that took our booking, to the awesome aiuta our amazing fijian waiter... plus great portions of real quality food and the best atmosphere you could ask... by far, our lovely dinner turned magical at the poly!
Thanks!
Santi

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank san_says
Reviewed 30 May 2017

The Little Polynesian is a small hotel and restaurant on the south coast of Rarotonga. It had rained all morning so we walked from our hotel to the Little Polynesian for lunch. It was quiet,- we were the only people having lunch. We ordered a beef-burger with chips,- huge and delicious and bruschetta with tomato, cheese, garlic and pesto on sourdough bread,- tasty and just the right size. We liked it so much we booked for dinner that night. We were shown to a lovely table on it's own under a canopy of palm trees which felt special. We ordered a bottle of white wine, the roast chicken with spinach and rice and the lamb shank with potato rosti,- both were delicious and we really enjoyed our lunch and dinner at the Little Polynesian.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheilambutcher
Reviewed 28 May 2017

We can't wait to go back. We stayed in both Aitutaki and Rarotonga, and for the peaceful solitude we preferred Aitutaki. But on Rarotonga, there is no better place to stay. We saw all of the beaches on Raro and spoke to a lot of the locals and all agree that they have the best beach on the island. The food at the restaurant is really great, you can go there for lunch or dinner even if you don't stay there. Our last night they upgraded us to a beachfront bungalow which was amazing and would be so worth the money. Our only complaint was that the curtains/blinds in all of the properties don't block out the light very well and if you're a light sleeper this can cause an issue. But the staff is wonderful, and everything about this little intimate gem is just perfect. We'll definitely be back

Room Tip: Beachfront bungalows are well worth the money. The garden units are also great and you still get to...
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2017

We enjoyed our Silver Wedding Anniversary at the little Poly this month very much. The small boutique nature of the hotel and the super friendly and efficient staff made this a cosy and excellent stop on our journey round some of the islands. We were treated like friends and felt very pampered every day. Every detail was thought of. The room we had was newly refurbished and beautifully laid out. We lived waking up to a view of the beach seemingly at our feet. The outside shower and spa bath an absolute treat. The restaurant menu was varied and thoughtful and the food was of a very high standard. The layout is superb, with a view across the lit up infinity pool towards the beach and coral lagoon. A big Thank You to all the staff for making our special holiday and anniversary dinner so special. All in all - aA little piece of paradise! :)

Room Tip: They are all on the beach, so not a problem.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LongNessy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titikaveka
1.8 km away
Palm Grove
#1 of 1 in Vaimaanga
2.8 km away
Pacific Resort Rarotonga

Been to Little Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!