Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Balloch Hotel(Balloch)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
6,182 results
All reviewscameron houseboat housethe grillvalet parkinggreat scots barcarrick spabeautiful hotelloch lomondmartin wishartsteakboathouse restaurantclaret jugceltic warriorleisure facilitiesafternoon teafirst classinfinity pool
Reviewed 13 May 2008

I was apprehensive after reading other reviews having booked a 2 night stay for my partner and myself but I needn't have worried as we had the most amazing time. To be honest I didn't find the prices that bad (if you compare to fine dining restaurants in cities or in the case of drinks, nightclubs). The bottled beers were £3.50 and spirits a similar price and a glass of champagne came in at £7.50. Our room was one of the newly decorated ones and I couldn't find fault with it at all. The bed was very comfortable and there were lots of nice little touches like the golf machine thingy and the L'occitane goodies in the bathroom. We dined at Cameron Grill on our second night and the food was amazing - we had 2 main courses and 2 side orders plus a bottle of champagne for under £90. We also were lucky enough to be the only couple booked on the Celtic Warrior champagne cruise which was amazing and I though the Carrick Spa was breathtaking. We had rainshower massages and spent the whole afternoon there (enjoying a few more champagnes!). The one point I would make is that the service on occassion could be a little slow but it was a busy weekend when we were there and it did not really affect our enjoyment. I would also recommend a trip to neighbouring Duck Bay for a meal like we did for our first night - it is also very good and you get brilliant views out to the Loch.
In a word - fantastic!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela S
Reviewed 29 April 2008

Just returned from a week in Scotland. Traded in my RCI points for the DeVere Cameron House at Loch Lomond as we needed a two-bedroom, full kitchen option. In addition to the traditional hotel, Cameron House has a number of these "lodges". Problems were minor and major. The units are spacious and well-equiped but utilities are all electric. They will charge you at the end of your week for electricity, which for us was nearly $100 U.S. They never mentioned this upon check-in. Coffee lovers will be disappointed if they look for a way to brew fresh coffee in the otherwise well-appointed kitchen. Apparently UK folks either drink tea or instant coffee. Unknown to us on arrival, the refridgerator was turned low to likely conserve electricity. This resulted in a leg of lamb and a quart of milk going bad before we realized and corrected it. The master jacuzzi tub drain got stuck in the closed position with a tub full of water. It took 3 calls and 3 days to get it fixed. The washer-dryer is actually all in the same unit, which is clever but we found it to do a very poor job on clothes and gave up after one load. The door open button actually fell inside the unit, causing another maintenance call. Fuses were blown when we used the washer and the dining room lights; they were never repaired. All in all I would look for an alternative upon return to Scotland. Cameron House was not worth the $$$.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank scrabblequeen49
Reviewed 24 April 2008

I usually do not write reviews for every hotel I stay in, only the good and the bad ones. Unfortunately this hotel falls into the latter category.

Firstly, I believe that overall this is a good hotel but it is quite simply not worth the money.

I booked the hotel for a friday night this month for my wife and I as a nice break away. I used the hotel booking line to do this.
On phoning them I was offered a deal of £209 for a garden room B&B, £269 for a garden room DBB and £289 for a loch view room DBB. We decided to go for the loch view room.

On arriving at the hotel at 4.30pm we were told after we had signed all the forms and welcomed to the hotel that
"oh sorry by the way your room is not ready and I cannot guarantee when it will be".

The clerk then immedaitely followed this statement by saying "of course you are welcome to use the facilities".

Very big of her I thought. Just one thing though shall I get changed into my swimsuit here in the lobby or out in the street as I clearly do not have anywhere to unpack my case!

The hotel justified their stance and said that they were very busy and we had been upgraded to a suite anyway so what really was our problem.

So ten minutes after arriving at this "exclusive" 5 star hotel, I already had a sour taste in my mouth.

We got the keys for our room at 5.10pm after trying to get a drink in an overcrowded bar (the main bar was shut for a wedding during our whole stay), where we paid £7.25 for a glass of house white and £5 for a bottle of beer.

Our room was very nice, big modern and well furnished. It was only a shame that it took us 15minutes to find it as it was in a new extension and none of the doormen knew where it was. It was ok though, as a builder working on the site told me where it was.

Also by the way the brand new widescreen tv in the wall did not work.

So far I am sorry this service is just not 5 star material and i'm afraid it got worse.

The swimming pool appears tired and dated, and there was a lovely used baby's nappy at the pool side with no baby or mother in site.

The dinner in the cameron grill restaurant is also a con.
You are not provided with dinner as part of your rate, but £35 per person. Now that is fine apart from the fact that main course start from approx £25 pounds. Drinks are charged completely separate.

To be honest there is more I could say about this hotel, whether it be the lack of parking or poor dinner menu, but I cannot be bothered.

On checking out we raised our concerns with the front desk who apologised for the service we had received and gave us the bottle of wine which we had with dinner for free.

We have been lucky enough to stay at Gleneagles and I am sorry but Cameron house is not in the same league.

When we checked out the chap at the front desk said "now you will be back wont you?" I am afraid to say we definitely will not.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank taysidepar
Reviewed 22 April 2008

4 couples visiting....Our first visit to Cameron House after staying at Turnberry last year. One of the couples we stayed with had been twice already and loved the place, so as we all assumed after a massive refurbish that it could only be better than we'd originally been told (they have since admitted they wouldn't come back since the refurb). The reception was very very dark and dismal, lit only by candles. We had arrived early due to the men being booked to play golf so our rooms weren't ready although they took our luggage and stored this for us. We then discovered that the Spa was not based inside the hotel, but at least a mile away (inside the Carrick golf course). 3 of the girls had booked treatments, one was just planning on enjoying the pool, sauna etc, but we were informed that to use the rest of the facilities there was an additional cost of £25.00 per person, yes even though 3 of us were spending just on £300.00 on treatments....we were informed this was a reduced rate from £65.00 each because we were staying at the hotel !!!!!!! As all our treatments were at different times we had no option but to pay this. The spa is lovely but very overpriced for both treatments and use of the facilities as well as food and drink (£7.50 for a glass of wine ).
We arrived back at the hotel to be shown our rooms, we had requested 4 rooms close to each other...2 were next door to each other...the other 2 on totally different sides and floors of the hotel. Again, although very plush the rooms were very dark and dismal...all wood and decor in dark colours. The lighting was very poor even with all lamps and spotlights on. Considering the amount of money spend on the refurb the setting out of the rooms has not been clearly thought through....there was one full length mirror on the inside of the wardrobe door but the door doesnt open fully to give you a full view and there seems too much furniture for the size of the room, giving a clustered feel to the room. The toilet was broke (would not flush at all) and there was also an overwhelming chemical smell in the room, which was strong enough to keep us awake during the night. This was reported the following morning and when the workman arrived, I was informed that the hotel was in such a rush to book the new rooms out that there had been absolutely no checks done on the rooms.
Our package included evening meal which we were informed, you were given £35.00 each, anything over was charged to your room. The steaks were all priced around £25.00 upwards, there was no potatoes or veg etc included in this price, so it was inevitable that the bill would be over the £35.00. Very disappointing as the whole group complained that the food was very very bland....this was exactly the same for breakfast...I ordered a cheese and mushroom omelette....it tasted like it was made purely from egg whites. Our bill was wrong after the evening meal. We had several drinks added which we had not ordered (grolsch, tonics...that none of our group had been drinking). We were overcharged for the wine £40.00 instead of £22.00. It took 3 attempts to correct this as well as being given somebody elses bill to sign.
Overall a very disappointing stay for a very pricey hotel.
Turnberry - we'll be back !!!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank carolyn01
Reviewed 20 April 2008

We have just returned from staying in one of the lodges at Cameron House. We have been going to Cameron House for 18 years now as we own a time share week there. This year I felt compelled to write a review as the hotel is undergoing a massive makeover which has generated lots of comments from trip advisor members. I loved the new look, it is as everyone descibes - dark colours, black's and greys which lots of candles and very atmospheric. The Great Scots Bar is a massive improvement and we loved the decor and all the black and white photos of 'Great Scots' provided our party with much entertainment as we tried to think of great scots and then find their photo. The only downside is that the food and drinks are seriously overpriced, in fact that is a theme throughout the hotel, the prices have been ranked up considerably since we last visited two years ago. The Lomond restuarant was superb and every bit as good as the former Georgian rooms, the food and service second to none and a very special place to spend an evening of your break. This was the only time I felt like we were getting what we had paid for. . Miguel our waiter made a lovely evening even more special, we loved our 'post pudding pudding' - thanks Miguel!!
The Claret Jug at the Carrick and The Cameron Grill also both served very good food, the Cameron grill however was a massive disappointment in terms of the service which was dreadful and not the waiters fault, it was clearly a lack of training and very poor management. Three or four men in suits doing very little to manage and with an arrogant attitude. It said it all to me when I saw the Sommellier clearing tables and delivering food to tables while the suits did nothing to bring order to the restaurant. The other really dreadful thing about the Cameron Grill is the open kitchen which belched out smoke all evening into the dining area. To top it all one of the suits was carrying on what was clearly a private telephone call which he did not terminate whilst we paid our bill.We will not be going back! The Marina was closed during our stay but we look forward to trying it next time.
My friend Jen, her two sons and I spent a lovely if cold hour and a half on the Champagne Cruise on the Celtic Warrior with Scott and Neil who gave us a great and very informative afternoon's entertainment. Thanks guys you do a great job and the boys loved the chance to drive the boat.
Despite my rant about the Cameron Grill we had a fabulous week at Cameron House and always look forward to returning - next time there will be a new leisure centre to experience. There is clearly a huge investment going on and it is without a doubt enhancing the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends