Ardoch Cottage(Gartocharn)
Hotels.com
6,187 results
All reviewsthe grillboat housecameron housevalet parkinggreat scots barcarrick spabeautiful hotelloch lomondmartin wishartsteakboathouse restaurantclaret jugceltic warriorleisure facilitiesfirst classafternoon teainfinity pool
Reviewed 25 February 2010

We stayed in a Loch view family room last weekend for my birthday and WOW what a Hotel is all I can say. The rooms are stunning and spotless, plenty of choice with 4 restaurants, a swimming pool with jacuzzi and steam room etc that was well maintained and fantastic staff who could not do enough for you.
We were in the Cameron Grill the first evening - if you are vegetarian there is not a lot to choose from and the portions were not huge but the quality was good. I didnt like one thing - that was that you can see into the meat fridge whilst eating dinner and for me this was completely unnecessary - especially for people who are vegetarian.
The second night we went over to the Claret jug and we had a fabulous dinner here. Staff were fantastic and it had a more initimate feel to it. Really would recommend this restaurant.
We also went to the Spa at Carrick - we both thought it was overpriced for the facilities there £35 per person. The roof top spa was nice to visit although you are promised views of the loch and you couldnt see the loch as the trees are too tall ! It is a nice relaxing place to visit though and is time out for adults.
I would recommend you take your own wine as the bar prices are rather steep - a glass of wine £10.35 and a bottle of magners £6 !
we are hoping to return to Cameron House - it really was a wonderful weekend.

Reviewed 20 February 2010

We visited Cameron House for my 30th birthday, and on arrival were upgraded to a suite in the old house. This was absolutely amazing, and we had a superb view of the Loch. We ate at The Boathouse the first night, as it was half term there were a few families there, but the noise wasn't too bad. We both had "posh" burgers and chips, which were really nice. They weren't cheap but you expect to pay a bit more in a hotel like this. We had breakfast in our room the first morning which was really nice, and in the Cameron Grill on the second day. Both were great, with a good choice of continental and hot breakfast options. We visited the Spa at The Carrick, which was really nice but didn't have as many steam rooms, saunas etc as I would have liked, but what they did have was good. The Hydrotherapy Pool was excellent, although make sure you look up before you press each "start" button on the edge of the pool as I was very nearly caught out by a powerful overhead jet of water....!! The Carrick is a few miles away from the hotel so concierge have a shuttle service. We were waiting for an hour at the Carrick for them to come and collect us, despite the reception staff calling concierge several times to let them know people were waiting. There seemed to be some breakdown in communication between the hotel reception and concierge to tell them people were waiting to be collected. There is a nice pool and jacuzzi at Cameron House itself, so if you're just wanting a swim I'd suggest just staying there. We had afternoon tea at the hotel as well, which was lovely, I have an allergy to fish and the staff made us cheese & pickle sandwiches to replace any of the salmon ones. The service was fine in reception, I really don't see what people are complaining about. Yes it gets busy at check in time, but they had 3 people on the desk to try and get everyone checked in as quickly as possible, we were waiting about 10 minutes which was fine. The room service and bar staff were excellent, couldn't be faulted at all. Make sure you get a drink in The Whisky Bar as it's got such a great atmosphere, nicer than The Great Scots Bar we thought and they have an absolutely enormous selection of whiskies to try.
We'd defintely visit Cameron House again, and will certainly recommend it to any friends looking for a short break in the UK.

Reviewed 11 February 2010

I stayed here with my girlfriend in late 2009, we had an amazing stay with only a few small issues.

The check-in was swift, and very pleasant, the porters and receptionists were extremely pleasant and helpful. We were offered an upgrade to a loch-view room for a small charge but declined. On reaching the room we had been given a loch view anyway, result! The room was small but luxurious, Egyptian cotton sheets, fine toiletries, tall ceilings and comfy seats everywhere!

We ate at the Cameron Grill both nights of our stay, very good food, rich game and full flavours, just what you expect from a country house! The breakfast was also in the grill, a good selection of meats, cereals and of course the full Scottish breakfast! I had one both mornings and was please until it came to the scrambled eggs... I always judge a place on it's eggs at breakfast but these were just appalling, if they weren't from powdered egg i would be amazed, i don't know how you could get real eggs to be that rubbery and tasteless... The rest of the fry up was perfect.

The grounds are amazing to have a stroll around, even in the pouring rain. I recommend the high tea, it is enough for lunch if you have a breakfast and dinner too.The bars are great places to sit and relax, fantastic selection of drinks and snacks, and wi-fi. The swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are great, perfect for spending the afternoon relaxing.

All in all a great stay and we will definitely return...

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2010

We loved our stay here from the very atmospheric candle lit reception to the excellant staff overall .
Lovely cosy rooms and first class food in the Boathouse.
We shall defineatly return !

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Riversdale04
Reviewed 10 February 2010

This is a stunning hotel which is so terribly let down by very poor service. The management of this hotel really should take this feedback very seriously as if they manage to get their act together with the service then they really will have the full package in the luxury hotels stake. I will be most interested to see if this posting merits a response from the hotel management.

The bad points:
1. Check In. Stood in a queue for nearly 25 minutes with many other disgruntled guests waiting to check in. When I arrived at 4pm on Friday afternoon I couldn't believe there was only one girl on reception - the phone was ringing constantly and being ignored.
2. Check Out. This time the wait in the queue was over 30 minutes. Really quite unbelievable! The hotel management should know this is peak time for reception staff and should have the area staffed appropriately. There were non-reception staff milling about and ignoring the guests (many of whom were incensed) and really adding no value at all. Perhaps an automatic or fast track checkout facility should be investigated?
3. The room was stunning (Room 25), however the shelf unit on the left hand side of the bed was caked in dust. I wrote my name in it on the Saturday and it was still there on the Sunday (From the looks of it, it will still be there in a years time!)
4. Tried to phone the reception on both the Friday night and Saturday night to arrange a morning call. On both occasions had to wait about 5 minutes before anyone bothered to answer the phone.
5. Length of time to wait for breakfast order to be taken. Tea/Coffee order took 15 minutes before waiter showed up to take order.

The good points
1. Sunning location.
2. Peaceful and Tranquil public places in hotel. Ambience was very good.
3 Excellent restaurant (the Cameron Grill was great for breakfast, although service not great as outlined above)
4. Well equipped leisure facilities.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Based on my experience, No. This is not a cheap stay hotel and for the money paid I would expect far better service. I have stayed in hotels all round the world, ranging from 2 to 6 star, and this was honestly the longest I have had to wait to get basic service.
If this is sorted out by the management, then I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Hotel Management - I am very interested to hear your comments on my experience...

1  Thank cgeorge3012