“Ate Here After Visiting The BBMF And 617 Memorial”

The Dining Room at the Petwood Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Restaurants in Woodhall Spa
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I ate Here with my husband, and two friends, after going to the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight, and the 617 Squadron Memorial.
The building is steeped in history with 617 Squadron, with excellent grounds, and a wonderful building. With a building as old as this is, there are bits that could do with a makeover, however this only adds to the ambience.
The most important aspect though is the food, and service, and in this respect the place could not be faulted. We ate in the Squadron Bar. Both myself and my husband had prawn cocktail as a starter, which was excellent. I then had High Tea as a main meal, and my husband had fish and chips. Again both main meals were very good. My husband had ice cream for desert, and this was excellent, three massive scoops of ice cream.
The service could not be faulted, being attentive and not rushed. It is a sign of how good this place is, by the fact that we visited here on a cold Thursday in September, and yet the place was still two thirds full.
Hopefully my husband will take me back again next summer for another meal.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

My son booked afternoon tea for me on our tour of Battle of Britain sites
The Pettwood was home to the Dambuster Crews
We were shown to a nice window table and had a really good choice of sandwiches
We were served by rally charming staff
My Smoked salmon and cheese sandwiches were perfect with lovely scones and cakes
The room was busy with everyone enjoying their teas there was a nice ambience about the place
The tea was good as was the coffee
The grounds of the Hotel are just superb and to be honest worth the cost of tea alone
There is still the mess and bar used by the Dambuster Squadron too with lots of artefacts around the hotel
We wandered the grounds to work off all the cakes and sandwiches we ate
Every corner there was something else to see take your time and walk the grounds they are pretty special
We spoke with guests who told us the rooms were lovely as well as all the staff
You can sit outside on a good day and still get wi fi too

Reviewed 4 September 2017

Food I had was recommended by bar staff as I had left my glasses in my room, it was an excellent choice and washed it down with a great pint of Guiness on draft... not the same out of a can

1  Thank JOHN P
Reviewed 27 August 2017

We decided to treat ourselves to a dinner here for our anniversary but while the hotel is as gracious as ever the food was poor and very expensive. My husband had soup which was okay but forgettable and my smoked trout was reasonable. We had splurged out on the rib eye steak which was overcooked and gristly. Having eye problems i could not see what i was eating so gave up after a short while and the steaks mostly went home in a doggy bag much to the dog's delight. The restaurant was almost empty as there was a big golf function going on for we could see lots of ladies tottering about in ill fitting evening dresses. We wondered if our meals were poor because more attention was paid to this.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

I had my wedding here and most of the details were perfect the only thing that wasn't good was my meal but I am extremely fussy