“Best Japanese along the coast”
Review of Kabuki raw

Kabuki raw
Reserve with
Kabuki raw is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 34 Restaurants in Casares
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2017

There are many Japanese restaurants along the coast, but Kabuki Raw is by far the best Japanese restaurant, evinced by its Michelin star awarded recently.

I have been going for a number of years; I found on the menu both traditional Japanese dishes as well as Mediterranean fusion with Japanese Cuisine.

One of my favourite dishes is the Wagyu beef rib; it is difficult to find good Wagyu outside of Japan, and at Kabuki it is some of the best I've tasted along the coast.

The quality of the sushi rice is excellent, and its preparation results in perfect seasoning and texture. While visiting with family who tasted many of the fish and seafood dishes, I was told it was always fresh.

The restaurant also has an experienced and informative sommelier, and we have never been disappointed with the wine recommendations.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Last year we visited the Kabuki at the Abama / Tenerife. A large and cool restaurant. No good memories – but we wanted to visit a Kabuki again.
What a difference at the Kabuki Raw in the Finka Cortesin.
With a warm welcome we were guided to our round table, placed within a cozy room (not too many seats), at one end the kitchen with the young chef doing the finishing and advising, 6 colleagues at his side.
Instead of a la carte we decided for the “Kabuki theatre” – a 12 course menu presented in the style of the Japanese play.
Within 4 acts the small portions are grouped together in “3-packs”.
The Hanamichi part (oyster tempura, Foie gras with tare sauce, red king prawn over charcoal) followed by wild shrimp tortilla,… were an outstanding food experience, perfectly paired with a bottle of Billecart-Salmon rose.
A bottle of Godello from Galicia (As Sortes) matched perfectly the food presented within the Zidaimono act (thinly sliced white fishes and belly of Tuna) as well as the Sewamono act (tuna tartare followed by a gallery of sushi).
The final act Shosagoto offered the choice between Gindara or wagyu beef ribs. We decided for the beef, slowly braised over 30+ hours – deep in taste, soft and tender.

What a performance!

And we returned 2 days later for a dinner a la carte:
The greetings from the chef (3 different items) were followed by a soup (a deep Miso almost creamy and a fish soup with sashimi dorade and an oyster). A glass of Cava Rose (Raventos) being an ideal companion.
The plate “sashimi Cortesin” was an outstanding selection of the sea (3 types of tuna, salmon, bream, pulpo, …different types of seaweed) which you could tip into soya- or ponzu-sauce, garnish with ginger, regular wasabi and (what a delight) pickled leaves of Wasabi.
For celebrating this dish we ordered a bottle of red wine: Enedina Valtuille from southern Galicia (Mencia being the grape). Deep and fruity, not too much tanine. Cudos to the sommelier.
As main we shared slices of Galician beef (instead of medium rare as ordered they showed up rare – no big deal for the kitchen to change it).

Another great dinner and as there are lots of options a la carte we easily could return the other day again. The service was absolutely professional: the maître d’ a calm and knowledgeable gentleman and the chef waiter Roman in particular: no question about food remained unanswered, skilled in talking multi-languages (4) and in great and warm hospitality.

You have to experience this restaurant with its tasteful and artistically theatre of japanese food.

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 4 January 2017

Maybe it's just me but, when you dine at a Michelin starred restaurant, one would expect a superior experience. After dining with my family over the Christmas holidays, I left scratching my head after a mind numbing experience bordering on pretentious. Fried rice at 20 Euros? Really? Definitely got the impression the staff was impressed by their Michelin star. Sushi and nigiri mediocre at best and often times covered in accouterments to the point of distraction. For the price and experience I would visit the other two restaurants without hesitation.

Reviewed 14 October 2016

The restaurant is worth a visit, it is a very special . The service was top notch, the table setting was top notch, The dishes, the wine, everything was beautiful. The food - Some was Very good but the problem was some dishes werent. In some dishes of raw fish (fish from excellent quality , I must say) there wasnt enough flavour, It needed some more flavour . They dont offer dipping sauce and therfore I decided to eat it as is but I do think a bit more flavor is needed. For example the turbot with black garlic was very bland and needed some more , the sea bream with sea weed needed (in my opinion) some lemony taste, Why don't they give some dipping sauce. Is it ok? I havent been to Japan but I ate in many Japanese authentic restaurants and always had sauce options on the table. The only dish that wasnt good was the Unagi (eel) The Unagi wasnt soft enough and the rice wasnt tasty (very hard and from local spanish type, I'm almost sure). Deserts were only OK, need some improvement .

Reviewed 10 October 2016

Sounds a bit crazy but ... worth the visit. The setting of the restaurant provides an open view on the kitchen. Food is great and not bombastique. Great service and for sure a place to visit.