Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 June 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights and were pleasantly surprised in a number of respects. You are constantly reminded that you are staying in an ancient castle because of the narrow winding stairs, the uneven floors and ceilings and the general atmosphere that prevails. However you also get many of the luxuries of a more modern hotel including large comfortable beds, excellent ensuite bathroom facilities, superb food and attentive staff. The views down to the river Rhine from the eating areas are unbeatable.

I would highly recommend this hotel to most people because of its unique combination of ancient history/atmosphere and modern luxuriousness. I only say most people because the narrow winding stairs and uneven floor surfaces might be too much for some people on account of frailty or physical disabilities. Also the room and food prices are very reasonable and represent excellent value for money in my opinion. A final word of warning in that this castle sits atop a very long and steep hill that makes for a challenging walk, therefore it is best to arrive by car.

Date of stay: June 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrianOSuilleabhain
Reviewed 10 May 2008

Cheapest way to stay in a castle on the rhine valley. It may not be on the touristy sides of Sankt Goar but it has a view that’s hard to beat. You get the view of a valley from your room and watch the sunset over the horizon. All this for 140EU for a 1bedroom suite with breakfast included. Now, that’s a deal! I’ve included pictures so you can see the attention to detail that is paid on the rooms. If you plan on driving to Marksburg to visit their castle, i would highly recommend staying here. It is however out of the way if you plan to do most of the touring on the other side.

The food was also surprisingly good – make sure you order the grill special (19.5Eu). Sufficient for two people to share :)

the stairwells are bound not to pass fire standards but its also quite an adventure climbing up those rickety steps to your room in the tower. Gives you a small sense of what it must have felt like living in a castle during the medieval times. I highly recommend staying in a castle as accommodations of choice in the Rhine.

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank jchen811
Reviewed 17 April 2007

I booked a room two months prior to arriving at the hotel, only to find no reservation. They still gave us a room but then in the middle of the day, they asked us to leave because the room was needed for other guests. We had reserved the room over 60 days in advance and were actually in the room when we were kicked out. It was unbelievably rude. There was no compensation offered at all. Avoid this Hotel!!!

Date of stay: April 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
10  Thank Jaidan70
Reviewed 16 March 2007

Simply stated, this is the best castle accommodation in the romantic rhine river area in germany. I would highly recommend staying here to anyone. The area itself is picturesque, and the castle adds to an already scenic adventure.
The castle is old and still very authentic. The rooms in the old part of the castle are reached by a winding (but narrow!) staircase. The castle is made of stone, and we really felt as if we had been transformed to the 1600's. I chose this castle after much research on the internet, and was glad for my choice. We visited many other castles during our five day stay in germany, but didn't find any others with such accommodations.
What was great about this? The castle is managed by a wonderful family. I would recommend contacting the castle directly and booking through them. THe entire staff, which consisted almost entirely of this family, was incredibly friendly. Any request we made which they could satisfy, they did. For instance, we were late arriving on our check in date because of problems with our rental car, but they allowed us to still order some sandwiches and soup even though we missed dinner time. THe food was delicious- especially the steak and the goulash soup. Homebaked delicious desserts were also available. THe price of the castle was incredibly reasonable, and breakfast could be added for a small cost. The breakfast included coffee/tea and juice, breads and jams, and a meat plate. This seems to be the regular breakfast almost anywhere in germany and german parts of switzerland. Every morning we were greeting by a friendly smiling face serving our breakfast at a table reserved just for us for our room number.
THe castle is a great place for a wedding proposal. While we were there, a man proposed to his girlfriend, and the staff had made a cake for them (I must say, I was really jealous!) Also, parties and events can be booked here- there is a large table in the diningroom for this, and other small romantic tables with a view of the rhine river below. I would recommend booking a room with a rhine view. There is also a gift shop with wine goblets and mugs, swords, and other castle gifts.
Everyone here also helped us to coordinate our daily activities. I recommend taking a rhine river cruise for a day- it costs about 11 euros or 18 dollars. We chose loreley-linie line. This way, we got an overview of all the castles and then we drove the next day to visit the ones that looked interesting. Take a trip to castle marksburg- the last fully-intact castle on the rhine area. Here, we took a tour and saw what it was like back then- such as the torture chamber and the old kitchen and sewing rooms. Make sure to call ahead and try to get an english-speaking guide. All the castle tours, etc. in this area are normally done in german. Also, see the eagle/falcon show.
ONe thing to remember when visiting this area, is that you are in germany. It was very helpful that I spent time before going there learning german by getting language tapes for free at my local library (plus I took german in college.) Knowing some basic words helped immensely, because when you stray from the tourist areas, most people don't speak a great deal of english. For example, I had difficulty at the local post office due to some language barriers. Learn how to say, if nothing else, "I don't know." This is "ich weiss nicht." Or, I don't understand- "Ich verstehe nicht." At least then, the person will know that you don't know what they are saying. Also learn bitte for please and danke for thank you, and guten tag for hello, auf wiedersehen for goodbye.
THe rhine area is not too difficult to travel. However, when coming from the airport and renting a car, make sure to request an english gps system, or else you may have trouble getting around like we did! Once you find the main roads on the rhine, you just drive up and down right by the river to get to the different castles. There are about three ferry crossings as well to get you back and forth across the river- you can take your car. Most car rental companies do not automatically allow for this to be covered- so either pay the extra cost or hope the ferry doesn't sink! The rhine in the north leads up to koblenz, which is a nice area if you want to see a little more urban life once being in the country feel of the rhine. There are bars, restaurants, and plenty of places to shop. One thing we made a mistake of doing was parking our rental car in a garage, and not reading the german that said what time it closed. OUr car got locked in the garage and we had to spend a pretty penny taking a cab back to the castle!
All in all, this was a beautiful area and the castle was worth the stay! I will never forget this experience, and hope to go back someday.

Date of stay: October 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank christicbo
Reviewed 15 November 2006

We arrived in Kamp-Bornhofen after driving north from Rudesheim. The roads are well marked and very easy to drive. There is also frequent train and boat service up and down the Rhine. This section of the Rhine (particularly St. Goar to Bacharach) is loaded with castles, little towns and vineyards, and is so picturesque it is hard to describe. On Mondays the hotel reception was closed until dinner but we were able to locate the restaurant the owners have in town and let them know we had arrived. The driveway up to the castle (there are actualy two, but one is a hotel) is steep and twisty. There are large rocks and ancient looking moss covered trees. At the reception desk we were given our old fashioned key (I loved it) and then wound our way up the stairs to our room. The room was pretty cool (literally and figuratively) which was handy since it was almost 95 degrees outside. The walls are so thick that it gets downright chilly in the night. We were never cold enough to use the space heater provided. The castle has been updated with very modern bathrooms and excellent water pressure. The view from our room was awe inspiring. There, hundreds of feet below, the Rhine, and across, another small town. Fantastic. Just before dusk several goats with their kids bedded down just below our window, it was neat to hear them. The beds were soft and warm and we slept well despite the fact that we were told the creepy vampire-ghost story by the nice gentleman who owns the castle with his family while we ate dinner earlier that evening. This same gentleman and his wife Anita are excellent cooks, by the way, and we both enjoyed his recommendations. Breakfast was included in the room rate (as it was at almost all of our European hotels) and was served in the cheerful dining rooms with your room number proudly displayed. The selections of breads were not as great as in Rudesheim but this is a much smaller town and the cheeses and meats were excellent. I love soft boiled eggs and my friend really enjoyed the coffee (once she found out they had Baileys). The view again from the breakfast room was tremendous. There is not a lot to do in the town, but there are hiking trails and boat rides and just hanging out and exploring the castle and grounds. They do have a very small gift shop on the premises. They prefer cash at check out (10% discount offered but I payed by credit) and we had to pay cash for dinner so remember to arrive with Euros. They did not take US dollars at any restaurant that we visited in Kamp-Bornhofen or Rudesheim and some woldn't take credit cards either. We were told that this was due to the fact that the World Cup was happening at the same time - fraud etc. Be warned and know where the nearest ATM is or ask what methods of payment are allowed when you sit down to eat.

Date of stay: June 2006