“Average food, but good experience ”

Tokyo Horse Racetrack
Ranked #1 of 48 things to do in Fuchu
Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

If you are not Japanese or do not speak and read the language, then go with a local! It's a big, sprawling place and all the race information is in Japanese. I had two local friends with me and we had a good time - lost money, of course! The buffet food was OK, but not great by normal standards. Our table had a great view, but track-side for the last race was much more exciting. There's a huge grandstand that I did not see until the end. On big race days, it must be great. We were there for an evening meeting, so the atmosphere was not so hot. Betting was automated and once I'd been shown how to select my horse, it was easy - but you'll never work it out without the language.

1  Thank IOWman

Reviewed 25 November 2015

We went with a group trip that had booked a private suite, really an excellent way to watch the horses. The betting was relatively easy once we got the hang of it, they had grass track, dirt track and jump races on the day we went. There wasn't much in the way of food on the level we were on (7th floor) but plenty of fast food and beer located on lower levels.

Reviewed 17 October 2015 via mobile

Only 35 minutes on the train from Shinjuku Station in central Tokyo, just take the Keio line and it drops you off right outside - 280 Yen each way. Entry to the course is even cheaper - 200 Yen. I downloaded the betting guide from the Japan racing website before I went and it proved invaluable - although staff are friendly, their English was basic and there's no way you could fill out the betting slips without the above mentioned guide. There are cashiers who will take your slips, but is quicker to use the automated machines, which have an English option and you can collect your winnings (if you have any!) from these machines too. The grandstand is enormous and the best I've ever been to. It's clean, spacious and had dozens of places to eat and drink, both Japanese and western. Meals are priced around 600 - 900 Yen and a pint of Asahi cost a reasonable 570. You can walk or sit anywhere you like on the first four floors, or pay to reserve a seat on the 5th or 6th. I visited yesterday and there were 12 races in total. Doors opened at 09:00 hours with the first race at 10:15. The last was at 16:25 and it closed at 17:00. A very mixed crowd, all ages, male, female, etc and just generally a great day out.

7  Thank BobsWorth1
Reviewed 23 October 2014

The course is beautiful, clean and super family friendly. Children were free to enter.

The track offers a guide in English to explain how to place bets - its written very clearly and easy to follow.

You can easily watch the warm ups and get close up views of the horses. My only wish is that after the race you could see the winners circle.

The food is good, offering Japanese items such as noodles and also western favorites like corn dogs, fries and fried chicken. Lots of beer, soda and sake offered too. You can also bring your own food and drinks for a picnic.

There is a whole area for kids including a really nice play ground, bouncy house and lots of space to run around.

This may have been the nicest track we have ever been to! I can't think of another that is more family friendly, clean, or beautiful.

I would definitely return here with my family for a day of races and fun.

3  Thank Kimberly C
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Amazing track with something for everyone! A very family orientated place, with plenty to do for the kids, including pony rides and nice play area. Food for anyone and any budget, I believe over 100 choices of places to eat. It's worth the extra Yen to get the reserved seats on the 4th, 5th, or 6th floor. All these seats have great views and nice little table for two viewing the track and with plenty of room for writing down all the bets. There is free English horse information available at the information booth at far end of the track (toward the paddock and away from train station entrance). The betting machines can be a little confusing at first, but there is an English "how to guide" and there are plenty of helpful attendants, just don't wait until a minute before post to place your first bet! ;) Really a very nice day with easy access via the train and they even had a Beatles cover band after the races playing in the paddock. This is a must for any equine enthusiast or a different kind of family activity not found at Disney!