“An Excellent Collection of Western Art- in Japan” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 276 things to do in Taito
Tokyo, Japan
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 319 helpful votes
“An Excellent Collection of Western Art- in Japan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

The NMWA is developed around the core private art collection of Matsukata Kojiro (1865-1950). Matsukata's intention was to create a national museum specializing in Western art. The museum building designed by Le Corbusier houses about 4,500 works, including examples of painting and sculpture from the Renaissance through the beginning of the 20th century. The Main Building displays pre-18th century paintings and prints (Veronese, Rubens, Brueghel, Fragonard, Durer, Holbein, Rembrandt, Callot, Piranesi, Goya, and Klinger). The New Wing displays 19th to early 20th century paintings and drawings (Delacroix, Courbet, Manet, Renoir, Monet, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cézanne, Moreau, Marquet, Picasso, Soutin, Ernst, Miro, Dubuffet, and Pollock).
Lovers of Western art (especially 19th-early 20th century paintings) will not be disappointed by a visit to this museum. The NMWA houses the best collection of Western art outside Europe and Northern America.

Visited May 2011

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“A lovely experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Warning - my last museum was the Louvre! So maybe I'm a bit spoilt for choice and experience. I have to say though that this museum really touched me, it has a simplicity of layout and the artworks are top class. The Goya exhibition was a treat, and the main features include all the usual suspects - Renoir, Manet and Monet, Picasso, Gauguin and Rodin.

The room displaying an array of William Blake's Illustrations of the Book of Job are particularly amazing.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank CynWorldTraveller
Manila
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“A Fantastic Collection of European Art in Tokyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

My wife and I were not very keen on visiting this museum but were almost forced in because of the heavy rain Tokyo was experiencing at the time. Wanting to find a nice, warm space to relax, we entered the museum and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

American or European tourists may not find it as interesting, but as an artist from the Philippines I don't often get a chance to see work by such luminaries as Cezanne, Monet , Manet, as casts of sculptures by Rodin. If you're like me and you want to visit the great art museums of Europe one day, do yourself a favor and check out this museum.

They have an Pphone app called "Touch the Museum" that you should definitely download if you have an iOS device. Since we weren't planning on going here and I hadn't done my research I missed out on some additional information about the paintings. I was looking at.

Visited February 2011