“Great Yakitori”

Ranked #10 of 3,633 Restaurants in Shinagawa
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

This is truly a local, neighborhood, gem. The chef is fun and interesting, for those who don't speak/read Japanese they have an English menu, and the food is out of this world. I watched him carve up at least 7 chickens in the hour and a half I was there, all of which were super fresh. I highly recommend the hearts, giant chicken thigh, chawanmushi (egg custard), and the knee cartilage (hiza nankotsu) which, is not on the menu. Make reservation though (it's packed) and ask for the counter (it's more fun to watch).

Reviewed 19 March 2016 via mobile

I knew Yakitori from No Reservation as well, at first I wanted to visit Toriki in Sumida but it was fully booked and made reservation at this place instead. This is the original shop (honten) and according to the website they have 3 branches but not in Sumida. I asked the owner and he confirmed that the Toriki in Sumida is not related to his restaurant.

It specialize in chicken, among them yakitori. The owner suggested yakitori, kawa (skin), tori sashimi, Seared Chicken Thigh Meat. If I were to choose a 2nd round, I'd definitely order the Tori sashimi or the thigh meat (momo). I was skeptical of raw chicken before but surprisingly the Tori sashimi was the best and unique food.

Good food, very friendly owner, highly recommended.

Reviewed 10 December 2015

If you want to get out of the touristy parts of Tokyo and experience the best chicken of your life, this is the spot. The owner has been running his shop for over 42 years and has the most contagious joy. We spent the whole evening chatting as he served us up dish after dish of amazing chicken. There are not many people I would trust to serve me raw chicken...but this is an exception. We ordered the chicken sushi and did not regret it. It was one of the most delicious and unusual things we ate in Japan. Given how much food we ate, we were shocked when our bill was only $70!

Reviewed 13 October 2015 via mobile

I saw this on Bourdain as well. We sat in front of Kunio, the owner for three hours eating chicken course after chicken course loving every bite. Talking with Kunio was also a joy, I would love to come back sometime. He told us that he is 68- so much expertise and life in this man, definitely one of the highlights on our entire trip. He is a chicken specialist! I used google maps to get here and I had no problem at all... Used the walking directions but if I didn't have them, this would have been so difficult to find. It was also a subway line change for us. There was an American law student, living in Ebisu, who sat next to us who frequents the establishment / that's how you know this place is good! Highly recommended.

Reviewed 2 January 2015

Good food, the owner was very friendly and did come over to chat. Great local atmosphere which you will not find in chain restaurants.