“Superb!”
Review of The Fish Cottage

The Fish Cottage
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Sandsend
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Description: Located 20yds from the beach in the beautiful seaside village of Sandsend, we’re just a short drive from the popular fishing town of Whitby, North Yorkshire. We have a real love for the sea and pride ourselves in serving the finest, locally caught sustainable fish and seafood.
Reviewed 20 September 2021 via mobile

Visited for our Anniversary. We were not disappointed. Service, food and surroundings were superb! You must try the small plates. The fish tacos and loaded fries were fantastic! We will definitely be back.

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (124)

Reviewed 19 September 2021

We booked a takeaway for the last night of our family holiday and were encouraged by the choice of food on the menu which is a little bit different from your average fish & chip restaurant. However although we were impressed by the helpfulness of the staff in answering questions, the quality of the food was disappointing. The scampi - which I thought would be excellent given it is a local specialty - was no better than a standard pack of frozen scampi, whilst the chips were luke warm and tasteless. Great shame, especially as we'd looked forward to it all week.

Reviewed 17 September 2021

With gluten free and vegetarian (separate) requirements, my family and I sometimes find it hard to eat out - and this was one of the hardest visits. The main menu had the key for which dishes were suitable thankfully, but we found the food to be a little on the average side (and lacking a claw cracker for my lobster, which would have been handy!). Unfortunately, it got worse with dessert. Not only did the menu not have an allergen key, they told us the cheesecake was vegetarian, however when we asked a few more questions, we found out it had gelatine in and very much was not vegetarian. For me, the coeliac, there were no gf puddings except sorbet and ice cream, which was disappointing considering they seemed to offer various mains that are gluten free. And finally, after deciding not to tip on this occasion, when paying by card, my waitress asked me loudly if I wanted to tip. I would much rather have had an option on the machine, how embarrassing. Overall, the food was okay but quite pricey, and we weren't entirely comfortable with the dietary requirements knowledge gap, which made the experience really quite confusing and needlessly stressful on holiday.

Reviewed 16 September 2021

I wrote a review yesterday that we had booked a meal for yesterday evening but when we turned up it was closed. I reported that no one had let us know. I was wrong, they had left a message well in advance on my wife’s phone but we didn’t’ realise until it was too late. Our fault. Looking forward to coming back and trying Fish cottage. Michelle could not have been more helpful.

Reviewed 15 September 2021

We went to the Fish Cottage for my birthday meal. The location is great (albeit with limited off-road parking) and the decor is lovely. We shared the battered Lindisfarne oysters, garlic prawns, calamari, king prawns tacos and the crab-loaded fries. I had planned also to have the lobster and chips, but was too full! The food was faultless, beautifully presented and full of flavour. Service was a perfect balance of friendliness and efficiency. I can't wait to return.