The John Barleycorn
US$118
US$98
US$66
Travelodge
The Saffron Hotel(Saffron Walden)
US$105
US$70
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$100
Duxford Lodge(Duxford)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe pubb bwarm welcomegreat atmospherepieexcellent foodwet roommain buildingbeer gardenyorkshire puddingthatched roofopen fireseparate blockthe rib eye steakold english pubthe imperial war museumhome made
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Myself and my husband .... family and friends visit the John Barleycorn fairly regularly for evening drinks, sometimes lunch and occasionally an evening meal. I have never commented before. To be fair we do live local and I think I am guilty of taking this wonderful public house for granted. We had a evening meal last night for 5 for my birthday celebrations and I can not praise the staff enough. Absolutely amazing food... and im fussy . Service 2nd to none.. the John barleycorn is an absolute must. Thank you especially to Nick, Georgia and Amy for making my birthday so so special. 5 stars is not enough.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here for 3 nights when visiting the area. This was a repeat visit as we stayed a few years ago. Extremely convenient for visiting IWM Duxford, and for the park and ride into Cambridge itself.
Bedroom was comfortable and much improved by lovely new bathroom. We ate in the restaurant every evening. All the food was well presented with good generous portions. The rib eye steak was particularly good and benefited from a side portion of excellent onion rings.
Breakfasts were good and filling.
All the staff without exception were very friendly, helpful and efficient.

Room Tip: All the rooms are to the rear of the pub adjacent to the outside seating area and car park
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Good service, charming waitress. Pub was very busy, but the atmosphere was relaxed.We went as part of a day at Duxford Air Museum, spending some time there before and after our lunch. The booking at the pub for our 9 family members was made over the phone, and was very pleasantly handled. We had all travelled from different parts of the country to celebrate grandad's birthday and it was a very happy occasion.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Just returned from a short stay at this great pub. The four rooms are in an annex at the rear of the main building. We had opted for the twin room (No1). The room was cosy, warm and clean with coffe and tea facilities. The only drawback was the shower room which was described as a "wet room", and was clearly designed with disabled guests in mind. It didn't work for us, as if someone had a shower, and then the second person wanted to use the facilities, the floor would be swimming in water. However, the rest of the pub was great. It can get very busy in the evenings as it is clearly very popular with locals. The staff are amazing, from the owner/chef right down to the cheerful cleaning lady. Food was superb. On the day we arrived, I opted for the beef Sunday roast. First class, the beef was really tender, and a home made Yorkshire pudding! On other evenings I had a sirloin steak, which was so good I had a repeat order on another dinner time!My wife enjoyed various items each evening and pronounced everything first class. I celebrated my birthday while staying there, and at dinner was presented with a complimentary bottle of wine. Can't thank the staff enough for a wonderful stay, especially the lady who managed the bar/restaurant, what a cheerful person, always smiling, and having time for a chat. This was like home from home. Will definitely stay here again as it is a fine location to get into Cambridge and the Duxford War Museum. Well done John Barleycorn!

Room Tip: If you want a bath don't opt for room No 1
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2018

I have visited several times in the last 18 months but only for lunch, however in the last three weeks I have stopped for evening meals twice. To my surprise the standard of food was poor. I dined the first time with my daughter. I had the duck but this was spoiled by being served with a plate of smoked sausage and veg. The strong taste of the sausage completely overwhelmed the duck so much so that it could not be tasted. My daughter had a burger with which she was not impressed, preferring a big Mac.
On the second visit I ordered the salmon steak with mash, spinach, etc. The salmon was overcooked and the tiny mashed and spinach portion was ruined by having loads of salt in it. I left this. My daughter had fish and chips which looked, and apparently tasted, good.
Maybe they have changed the chef as previous visits for lunch were entirely enjoyable!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family