“Birds of Prey”

Dalhousie Castle Falconry
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Bonnyrigg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 28 October 2017

Fabulous birds close up and well informed staff. Have a walk down after breakfast at Dalhousie Castle.

All reviews
"amazing experience"
in 13 reviews
"perch"
in 8 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
"the barn"
"trip to scotland"
in 7 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 6 reviews
"little owl"
in 8 reviews
"answered all our questions"
in 6 reviews
"wings"
"family activity"
"private experience"
"real privilege"
"birthday treat"

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Following a recommendation by my sister who had done a Falcon walk in Ireland and loved it I decided to reserve a time at the Dalhousie Falconry for our first trip to Scotland. What an experience!!! We arrived a little early and so spent some time walking the grounds and the interior of the hotel/castle (which we found to be very interesting). The actual falconry experience started with instruction on the history of the falconry as well as the birds themselves. Again... very interesting, especially for someone like myself who has very little knowledge about birds. Then the fun..... the actual falcon walk. My friend and I selected the option where we had the opportunity to fly a hawk and an owl. Not only did we enjoy the experience immensely but again we learned some of the unique characteristic of both birds. Duke, the owl, was our favorite as we had the opportunity to observe how he earned his name as he walked along the ground. I would highly recommend this experience. The owners are so knowledgable and fun to work with and I will never forget this day.

1  Thank LoveNewExperiences
Reviewed 6 October 2017

Oh my gosh, this was a dream come true! Georgie was our falconer that day, and she was so informative and you could tell she was an expert at her craft. Not only did we get to fly a HUGE owl named Duke, but we also flew a Harris Hawk and learned so much about so many birds of prey. You could tell that Georgie really cared for the birds and they seemed to care for her as well. This is something you do not want to miss!

Reviewed 5 October 2017

The Falconry was an incredible experience!!! These birds are majestic. The caretakers are very knowledgeable and it is evident how much they love each and every one of these beautiful creatures. We were fortunate enough to have the daughter of the founder of the Falconry assist us that day. It is amazing that she is able to carry on this legacy and the love that she shows for her work and the birds is truly inspiring! We did the ultimate experience and we were able to handle and fly several different birds. If you get the opportunity to have this experience, we would recommend that you not pass it up.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 October 2017

This seemed to be so far off the beaten path that I had to do it. It was worth every penny, and a great break / partial day trip from Edinburgh.
First of all, if you go by train, it's not a long trip. The local train station is about 20-30 minutes walk through some nice country, google maps is your friend because it involves some footpaths/bike paths. Bring an umbrella.
Second, the birds are magnificent and it was great fun to work with them for a morning. I did the full experience, which involved handling some birds that didn't fly that day, then flying falcons and owls. She has some eagles and some tiny little owls that hardly look real. Kylie clearly loves her birds and it comes through in the presentation. I don't live someplace where I can actually get into falconing, but this was a chance to experience working/playing with the birds a bit.
Finally, when done, have lunch at the Orangery in the castle. You'll be back in Edinburgh in time for a nap and going out that night.