“An excellent restaurant ”
Review of Cutler & Co

Cutler & Co
Ranked #3 of 304 Restaurants in Fitzroy
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

On Sunday this famous and quite expensive restaurant does a lunch special: four courses (two with three small plates) for $75. It's a good deal.

You choose the main course and dessert but the first two come as small plates (in our case mussels, crostini, hummus, stracciatella, beetroot and lamb belly dishes each beautifully presented with appropriate garnishes). We chose the duck as a main course - perfect - with the options of a fish dish or a huge beef rib-eye (for a $45 per person supplement!). The strawberry mille feuille was light and delicious, the brie a little light on.

Excellent wine list with the cheaper items perfectly acceptable.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We had the tasting menu and really enjoyed everything from the service, the decor and the food. Staff are really well trained but not too in your face. I thought dinner was reasonably priced for the food and service on offer.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Food excellent , extensive wine list , presentation of food first class .Staff well trained friendly but not subservient.

Only down side for myself only( one of a party of three ) was the background music which made conversation impossible .

Reviewed 4 September 2017

Visited with a group of out of town friends and was expecting to be amazed. Whilst there were some great things about this place, it didn't quite come together for perfection. The venue was impressive, but a little noisy and cold when put in the back corner. The food was delicious, but not exactly what was expected. The service had elements of amazing, but was let down by slow drinks service. Maybe next time.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

We went here for Sunday lunch. Set menu only.
After being seated by our waitress we were given a few minutes to choose our main course. Basically a choice of two things, roast chicken or trout, or a ridiculous charge of $40 per person extra for a rib eye steak to share between two people.
My son chose the roast chicken and I opted for the trout.
We waited quite a while for our starters to come. When they finally did come we weren't that impressed.
The herb focaccia was very nice. I think it was the only thing that actually had any salt or taste to it.
Serving sizes were so small!!! Most of the food was bland. Extremely bland!! It felt like the chefs were too scared to use salt or flavourings on their food. We thought we had accidently walked into a heart foundation restaurant, where salt was forbidden.
One of the starters was octopus. It was so tough and rubbery. It would have been better to serve us rubber soles.
Another starter was freekah salad that was extremely undercooked and ever so bland.
The waitress assigned to us was very busy and it took a while for her to get us our drinks. I requested only a few ice cubes in my drink. When my drink arrived the glass was filled from top to bottom with ice cubes. I flagged down the waitress and brought this to her attention. Instead of apologising and getting me another drink she mumbled away some useless excuse about the drinks being at room temperature which is why they need to use so much ice. I kindly reminded her that I requested only a few ice cubes. She took the drink and returned 10 minutes later with a replacement.
After the starters our mains artived and oh what further dissapointment. My sons roast chicken was hot but the skin was soft. My trout was cooked to perfection but barely warm as were the accompanying carrots.
I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting food to be served at the very least..... at a very hot temperature. Keep the warm food for children. Adults expect food to be served hot!!!
If as a chef you think that it's ok to serve warm food to your customers then unfortunately you are not doing your job properly. Surely you should know that warm food is unsafe to serve to customers. Food needs to be a certain temperature to be safe to eat.
As a chef you should also be able to serve all people sitting together at one table, meals that are hot. Not one person has hot food and the other one has warm food. Simply because you as a chef failed to cook or heat all meals to arrive nice and hot for both or all people seated at the table.
We ordered a second round of drinks which took forever to come.
We eventually ran out of salt because of the bland food we kept trying to fix. We attempted to flag down our waitress for more salt but she was forever busy. So my son ate his bland tasteless chicken without any salt added because I used the last of the salt to try and add some flavour to my warm tasteless trout.
A boring cabbage salad was served with our mains. Just green shredded cabbage in a bowl. With a sweet chilli infused dressing. Didn't really go with our mains.
Dessert was lemon meringue pie. The meringue was lovely and so was the lemon curd. But the passion fruit and blood orange inside the meringue were extremely sour. A bit of cream would have complemented this dessert perfectly.
All up I was very disappointed in the food and service.
I can't say I will be recommending this restaurant or going back again.
Like a previous reviewer said. "Australians are easily pleased"
I come from a European background where our culture is centred around food. If I served food like this to my family they would disown me!!!!!!

1  Thank goudi