“Beware!”

Ranked #15 of 55 Restaurants in Waregem
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Called and asked if the girl who answered spoke English, she said one moment. A male voice then took over so I asked to book a table for 6 and he said " Not interested, thank you". Obviously don't like the English!!!!!????

Reviewed 23 January 2018

This was a great surprise! After having awfully (Hell) dined the friday before (also in Waregem), this was now Heaven. Very nice location, old mansion on a not too busy road with private parking in the back. Lovely interior and very specious inside. Modern but cosy too. The welcome was very friendly and we were free to choose our table. From aperitif all the way to the coffee, it was just perfect ! No bad point to be found at all. The food was delicious,a real delight,. The wine arrangement, the quantity (2 glasses each per course) and the price was very correct. And... I need to mention too ...their bread (home made) was absolutely Wow! From owner to personnel, all were very very friendly, professional and nothing was too much when we asked something. Also the price/quality for the menu was very correct. This is definitely a restaurant where we will go again and not only once but more often.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

De houtsnip is an excellent restaurant for dining with a relatively large group of persons
(8 to 14 persons). The food is offered in a separate 'saloon'.
Especially the three course menus (called 'sphere menus), including wines can be recommended.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

I've visited De Houtsnip for over 10 times already and have never been disappointed. You can rest assured that the quality of the food and originality of the items on the menu is taken care of. Two small things I'd like to see improved: the service is professional but could much more enthusiastic, and the prices charged can be a little more reasonable (in particular for drinks).

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Just to keep this review a short one , I stick to the essential : food and drinks are more than ok . It's a restaurant I've visited already 5+ times , and I consider(ed) it a nice eating experience with a positive price/quality ratio ...
Last weekend however , things got seriously messed up ! My wife doesn't like "riz de veau / sweetbread / kalfszwezeriken" so she ordered the filet of beef instead . We were told in advance that a supplement would be charged and we agreed to that , although the filet was 4 euros cheaper . When asked how she wanted it cooked , my wife asked for rare .
Being served , the whole table could see this was cooked medium . So she decided to ask for another piece since there's a great difference between rare and medium rare ...
The waiter said he tthought it was cooked perfectly and left my wife like that . Another waiter agreed to go ask the chef and he returned with the steak cut in half and the blunt remark :" no , the chef says it's good like that " . "Besides ", he said : " it's Simmental meat , it's supposed to be like that" .
Well excuse me , but 1) I ate already Simmental before and I had it very rare 2) I worked 4 years for a culinary guide ( I even had this same restaurant reviewed some years ago !!) and I do know what I'm talking about and 3) even if I was some posh nobody without any culinary knowledge whatsoever , I still would try to please the customer as a chef ....
Too bad , you won't see me again . That's for sure !!!

4  Thank Ewald1972