All reviews dive boat goliath grouper sized mini fridge lady captain tiki bar on site lower keys shared balcony tile floors comfortable beds hot shower minute drive an easy drive the ritz light sleeper awesome stay a great place to stay nice resort
Reviewed 30 May 2018

My guess is that if you are contemplating staying here it is because you are 1) diving, 2) fishing, 3) kayaking or 4) boating. In these cases the Looes Key Resport serves its purpose. The room are large with tile floors so plenty of room to keep your (wet?) stuff with you. Clean enough but really showing wear and tear. Furniture is Flea Market style, well aged no less. The food at the tiki hut right in front better than expected. Whoever the entertainer was...this guy was out of sight great! Staff I guess helpful and friendly enough. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheMightyJ
LooeKeyReefResort, Public Relations Manager at Looe Key Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

thank you for taking the time to post your review. Sounds like you were in one of the rooms that has not yet received new furniture - we are refurbishing all of our rooms with new furniture. We're 90% done, so almost there!

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

This hotel / resort has everything you need onsite of very close. The rooms are clean. Beds are comfortable. Has a tiki bar on site with good food and drinks with great prices. Dive center on site with 2 snorkeling and dive trip outings a day. Winn-dixie is within 3 miles. Pool is nice and clean. If someone had to ask what are the negatives of the hotel. I would have to say 2 things. 1 the pool closes early so to the five center is the only ones onsite that know CPR so on. So when the dive store closes so does the pool at about 7 or 8pm. Be great if they teach the employees of the tiki bar CPR so on so the pool can stay open later. Also if you are a light sleeper the tiki bad is a little loud so you can hear a little thumping laying in bed. Not really that big of issues. I enjoyed my stay there. Will be back in sep.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and helpful suggestions for ways to improve! We'll see you in September.

Reviewed 21 April 2018

To: LKRR; Although our 45th wedding anniversary stay was not ruined; at best I have to say it was degraded to a vacation that will not come even near the top ten in my life. We had reserved a room months prior to our stay. When I initially called to reserve, I made it very clear more than once; in fact at least 5 times. that I desired a room directly on the canal for several reasons. As many know when you stay for a week far from home, there is much to pack and unpack. To reiterate, I made it very clear I wanted a room on the canal to the girl who took my reservation. I do not feel I have to tell why I wanted that location but here it is. For one the few times we had stayed there we absolutely loved the fact of the little patio directly behind the rooms on the canal we enjoyed and was looking forward to that again. Second it was easy to BBQ there being directly out our back door. Third at night it was a place where when we did not want the lights and noise from the bar and band except when we wanted to eat and enjoy the music. And my biggest disappointment was my plans on renting a boat for several days made me very uneasy as once rented we would be responsible for damage or loss of a rented boat. Being able to moor one at my back door would have gave me the peace and confidence that I could keep close eye on it besides the convenience of stepping down a few steps to go out. And finally I should have been able to get what I paid for which I did not! Call it trivial, but being fully responsible for a rented boat I could not have slept not being able to see it or hear anything in the room where you actually placed us. I do not think it too much to ask that which I had stressed at reservation to receive. Upon arrival, which was late and informing you of such well prior to arrival, we were told room 23 and given a code for the lock box. I will say honestly when told 23 I had no idea its location until we arrived late at night. Well the man who was there at the bar in charge said we will see if we can move you tomorrow. Also stating that I would not find a room locally for under 300 dollars a night and that access to the patio area or to tie a rented boat off was not accessible anyway because of the storm damage. Neither of which is true of course. After driving over 300 miles and having had to work until noon that day we had no choice except taking 23. And after unpacking just the essentials, which with my wife meant most everything anyways except my diving and fishing gear, I did not feel like wasting a precious next day of once again moving everything from one room to another . Besides all that the manager at the bar said I cannot promise we can move you anyway,, right after reminding me how much more the other 300 dollar a night motels cost, So all in all it was not a wash out but hearing "I am sorry" from everyone we informed at the office somehow did not make up for the incompetence of the girl that took our reservation and simply not getting what I ended up paying for. So although it still may not seem much more than trivial to you, I was not at all happy with our stay once again reminding them at checkout to only once again hear "I am sorry" right after swiping my credit card. I was told by many in the region that new owners had taken over and some told us not new owners but new management. I have to tell you I do not know what it will take for me to stay with you again and my 1000+ dollars you now have is gone as well as my plans of renting a boat for several days where I could have watched it and use it easily, and the nights my wife and I loved sitting out back relaxing. I now will make a suggestion which I pray you might listen to. Inform your staff to listen to customers when reserving, inform some ( I believe his name was Tom) not to compare your rates when they have made an error and although I know you are busy at the Tiki have your waiters and waitresses give priority to those of us walking in so we do not have to ask several times to be waited upon. That itself just gave me the appearance that your business is doing so well that appealing to one customer just does not take priority and that you can live without my money. I could go into detail of what was said to us by that night manager that night, but I am hoping you get the picture as a whole how unhappy I am from our stay that was supposed to be what we asked for, and paid for, and not what was given to us. Please do not get me wrong he was courteous but obviously not in charge. I did not appreciate having to change plans once getting there. It was supposed to be a special stay because of our 45th anniversary and some other factors I will not state publicly on here. None of which came to be and that cannot be changed now. Because of the facts above we wanted to come back down around August and we still plan on it, unfortunately I honestly cannot say it will be with you next time. And yes it is true any more motels and resorts charge far more than you do as you manager informed me. But I will not make the same mistake twice no matter if I do pay more the next time I will get what I ask for and pay for. And just a side note, there are many places less than your place not all with the conveniences you offer such as stepping out the back door to a boat but there are many as we have stayed in them. Later this summer I will bring my boat even if I have to drive it to a public dock so that being said I hope this reaches someone that actually is in charge and takes notes. We chose your place because our last visits we got what we asked for, we got what we paid for and the atmosphere of your people was miles ahead of what it is now. I could point out many things that should be changed or replaced. I know you had a rough go of things because of the storm as did we. But most things of our stay simply cannot be blamed upon the storm. Such as your grounds tables, chairs etc falling apart at the edges rusting and dirt areas that should be mulched and maintained. These things are not costly but obviously ignored by those in charge there. So in conclusion,, was it a special enjoyable stay like we had the previous times we stayed there? No. My suggestions are mostly things that cost very little and some cost absolutely nothing ie: attitudes. But yes they do take acknowledging and attending to. We are returning in a few months but honestly I cannot say I will be booking with you soon. For that all I can say is "I am sorry." I know,, I am sorry does not sound well from a business stand point does it? All that said, Best Regards, Donnie and Debbie Breingan.

Room Tip: Unless you know the layout,, you are taking what they give you
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank DonBreingan
LooeKeyReefResort, General Manager at Looe Key Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Don and Debbie - We're sorry your stay wasn't everything you hoped for. We make every effort to honor guest requests, but sometimes it's just not possible. As with all hotels, when you make a reservation, you reserve a room type. After that you can request a specific room. But depending on where other guest reservations fall, that specific room may not be available. In your specific case, the request was in your reservation notes, but when you checked in, that room was not available. At check in, the manager in the bar advised you to check with the front desk the next morning about changing rooms. In fact, you would have been able to change to your requested room on day 2 of your stay, but, by your choice, you elected not to move due to the inconvenience, and in fact never inquired about a room change.

I certainly respect your conscientiousness about keeping an eye or your rental boat, but, again, that was your choice not to get one based on the room you elected to remain in. We have numerous boats, including ours, that stay on the dock without problems.

I apologize again that your stay was not all that you hoped for, and, since you've stayed with us several times before and enjoyed your stay, we hope that you'll choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

❌❌❌
By far worst place ever
We arrived so excited to the keys, once we met the front desk lady, we knew then how unfair life is, the struggle in store for us, we entered and greeted her after hours of driving, and her attitude was she's doing us a favor by us staying at her place, I'm disabled stated that, but she would not give us a room on first floor, though we know she had some, asked for extra pillows, we thought it was asking her for her right arm, or an act of Congress, all request or answers to our questions were answered by a big fat NO, AND THE ATTITUDE OF " YOU BETTER BE GLAD YOUR GETTING A ROOM" to say the least in this disgusting dump, look at the pics I posted , the first one, that's how the electric switches are, uncovered, unsafe also second pic we sat some donuts that we purchased in matter of hour or so , infested with ants, cleanliness!!! Third pic, this is the door to the room, look at the gaps between the door and the frame leading to the outside, a/c hardly cooling at all, here is the kicker... Right outside they have a tent with life music , if you dare to sleep with the door that won't even lock and the gaps ,then hang it up, the bigger problem is it's loud and very lousy singer, no rest, so there is no choice between resting or being annoyed, forth pic , that is a tv in the room that for the whole first day it won't work, oh there is no phone to call front desk , we have to walk all the way the next day, when they are open to let them know , so they can send the maintenance man to try to tell us and complain to us about all the tv ppl that come and charge a lot of money and not fix things, this room was booked weeks before, how come things were not ready ? And when you don't have an elevator, disabled ppl with bags traveling should have a first floor !!! Anyways ppl you have been warned, stay away from such dumps, so they will either earn an honest living or close down, the sad part this place is a dive shop too, do you really trust your life to be put under water in their hands on a trip ????????? WOW WHAT A DUMP !!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank D8584PMsamb
LooeKeyReefResort, General Manager at Looe Key Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Sam, We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay or the live music. I appreciate your feedback as we're always working to improve. When you're ready to book again, you can request a ground floor room or even an accessible room which may be more convenient for you. Unfortunately, there were none available when you checked in. You may also find the in-room refrigerator a necessity in the tropics for keeping ants off sugary donuts! I can understand your frustration since we were not able to meet your very specific requests, and therefore consider the service lacking, but, since I was there, I do know that everything was handled in a courteous and professional manner. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had been here diving several years ago and wanted to return. We weren't ready to dive this time so we booked a snorkeling trip. It was really easy to do online. You can even fill out the necessary forms all online prior to coming which is convenient. Our afternoon boat was completely full at 48, a combination of divers and snorkelers. Other than that it was great afternoon.

The lady captain and crew were all just great. They were well organized and very helpful with young and old. The snacks and drinks available were very reasonable. My wife enjoyed a margarita and me a cold beer. The reef took a hit from hurricane Irma but we saw lots of fish and several sharks.

Any day on the water is a great day! Highly recommend Looe Key and all their staff.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davidel57
Looe K, Manager at Looe Key Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thanks for your feedback! We are so glad you enjoyed your trip. Katie and Dawn are definitely an all-star team and they can run a full boat smoothly. Hope we see you back again soon!