All reviews pots and pans shared kitchen the air conditioning keeper electricity
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was my first time at Santa Catalina and it was an amazing experience thanks to On The Reef. The location is the best of all, right in front of a famous world class surfing break and minutes away from the main restaurants and shops in town. The rooms were clean and ready when my group arrived, which was great after the drive from Panama City.

If you´re looking for a perfect wave at an uncrowded spot, On The Reef is the place to go!

Room tip: Remember to bring wax, leach and any other equipment found only at surf shops.
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Rafael P
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We were not sure where we were headed when we booked our trip to Santa Catalina, but we were not at all disappointed! On The Reef fulfilled and exceeded any expectations we had, the place has the best location in town, with views to the reef break and beyond. The rooms are large, comfortable, and the staff make you feel right at home. Meeting Ricardo was like meeting an old friend, super accommodating and relaxed, he just wants you to have a good time! Will definitely be going back soon!

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Just spent five nights diving, and once again my stay at On the Reef made a big difference. No better place to stay.

Ricardo and Ingunn are the best host I've ever met. They strive to make your stay pleasant, and go the extra mile to do It. And the stories...you just want to keep on listening.

The club is very peaceful. Everyone is just relaxing and enjoying the great view. Do the same.

Luno makes great breakfasts, and excellent omellettes. Sorry about Tuesday Luno. We had to go diving and had to leave early. Missed those omellettes. The sandwiches were great though!

Noel helped me with my luggage, and every day with my diving gear. Thanks.

Hope to be back soon. Hopefully this year!

Room tip: Suite 1 has ocean view. I stayed in suite 2, which is great! I love it.
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Spent a pleasant weekend with Ric and his team at On the Reef. My first time in Santa Catalina but a “must do” for anyone visiting Panama. Superb beaches, great diving, big surf, friendly cosmopolitan community and a wide variety of bars and restaurants.

On the Reef a good choice for a place to stay. Intimate, secluded and private but only a short walk into town and with one of the best sunsets I’ve seen. Rooms are basic, comfortable and well cooled, bathrooms work and the bugs are under control. Ric has an endless stream of stories to keep you entertained and seems to know every item on every menu in town. Probably best for surfer / diver / traveller groups but would work for families and couples. Try the cheese and vegetable omelette for breakfast, good anytime, even better if cooked by Ric’s wife. Wireless from next door property works OK, Ric has the access code.

Would be good if a supply of bottled water was available but can easily be picked up locally.

Try it, you won’t be sorry.

Room tip: Suite 1 has an ocean view.
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 836DavidL
ONTHEREEF, Owner at On The Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you David...you are too kind...we keep it quiet and private and thus the small number of reviews...we hardly ever check on them...we really just want to chill like all of our guests...our Surf Club Rules have guarantted peace and harmony here on the point for many years now...we thank you for your visit and I am glad you enjoyed my stories...

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Ric was a fantastic host and we really have nothing but plaudits for our stay in Santa Catalina.
Myself and my partner are not surfers, and choser to stay in Santa Catalina for a relaxation, a bit of diving off Coiba and the fine beaches in the vicinity.

The accomodation at On The Reef is just lovely, the rooms are well made out and yes - rustic. The nature of Santa Catalina is (thank god) that water is a valued commodity, electricity is variable and not all luxuries are available, but On the Reef makes the best with what is available and Ric is a gracious and flexible host. He even taught us to surf!

Room tip: We were in the 2-floor room facing the sea. Forget the name of it but it´s lovely, highly recommended.
Date of stay: April 2012