“I felt really good”
Review of On The Reef

On The Reef
Ranked #7 of 11 Santa Catalina B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 December 2014

I spent a very beautiful, relaxing and peaceful weekend in this place. The view is perfect, the room (#2) is fine and clean, beach towels available, hot water when I needed.
Ricardo, the owner is very friendly, full of suggestions and tips how to spend a good vacation, where to go to try the best food. He took me for a ride by his own car to visit the village and show me the beaches, restaurants, diving...Thanks, really. It is not everywhere you can find somebody like you
No breakfast available (I had friends spending nights in the nerby Hotel Sta Catalina and it was the same) but fresh coffee (and fresh papaya) was ready when I woke up.
Wifi is available and free but is not easy to get the signal, it is a problem all around the area, there are few places providing connection.
If you decide to go to Sta Catalina you're not looking for a luxury 5* hotel w/SPA, it is simply not the right place. But On the Reef is a very good solution.
I definitively do reccomend the hotel; if 2 ask for room #2, if more than 2 ask for room #1, spectacular view in the morning when you wake up...
And give you time to spend half an hour, maybe more, on the hammocks in the patio with view on the see...cool!!! (maybe you'll be lucky and Ricardo will offer you a good cocktail)
Again Ricardo, thanks a lot, it was a pleasure to meet you.
We'll see again shortly

Room Tip: #2 up to 2 people, #1 from 2 to 4
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Visited in August 2014 and had an excellent trip. This is the closest spot to stay to surf the main break. The accommodation was very clean and all amenities worked with now problems, and I felt it was good value for money. The views are unreal and after a big session you can chill out on the deck and watch all the action while you recharge for another session.

Ricardo and the staff were fantastic. Super helpful and took us on a free tour when we arrived of the area to point out the best spots to eat and other spots to surf. They were more than happy to answer all our questions about the area and also helped us organising boat trips to secret spots and with much needed transfers from panama city.

Will definitely visit again for another hassle and stress free surf trip. Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Ask for the loft with a view of the break. You watch all the action while lying in bed, amazing.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Thanks Ricardito - we had an amazing trip. The place was in the best spot for access out to La Punta break with amazing views, a cool breeze and plenty of hammocks to relax in.
The rooms are great with AC, cable, nice bathrooms and hot water.
Ricardito was a great host and showed us around town and pointed out the best spots to eat/ drink and a few of the local characters.
Although the lineup can get very busy, there were plenty of waves for everyone. Ricardito also helped us organise a boat trip out to a break on one of the local islands which was epic.
A buddy on the trip had a surfing accident and needed medical attention - thanks to Ricardito and his connections; he got the best attention available in Panama and got him in good shape to get home in one piece.
Recardito sits pretty deep out the back and charges the bomb sets pretty hard –everyone can hear him when he get pumped about the surf.
I would definitely recommend this pace for a holiday whether to surf, dive or just relax - I hope to get back there.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I liked everything about this place. I came with my girlfriend and good thing I pick this spot as all the other places where packed with surfers. We liked the set up of the deck right on the Point. The lady in charge took good care of us. Ac, cable tv and hot water where all working. Surf was great! Very cool spot, we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for one with Hamacas!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have just returned home from a short stay in Santa Catalina. I wanted to be near the point (main surf spot in Santa Catalina). This place blew my mind. It is located right in front of the famous wave. You dont even have to get up in the morning to check the swell - you can hear the waves breaking from your room.
The rooms are clean, showers and all other technical stuff works fine, which is not a given in this area. And they serve great breakfast :-)
Will be back soon..