“A comfortable stay at The Seagate.”
Review of The Seagate Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Seagate Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Appledore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Stayed for 2 nights in September in one of their double rooms at the back of the pub. We were cosy and comfortable for £80 a night but maybe if we were to return we would go for one of their better rooms at the front for a view or down the road at their new property which are probably more expensive. Staff were very nice and helpful. Breakfasts were hearty and tasty in their raised restaurant section at the back of the hotel/pub. The full cooked was huge but you can order a smaller one which was big enough for us. I enjoyed the smoked salmon & scrambled egg alternative. We had dinner there on our 2nd night when we enjoyed the Lamb Curry and a Chicken Stir Fry. There is some free parking in the hotel car park but we managed only to get in on the first night. The second night we just parked on the road outside even though there is a large pay car park just across the road. Appledore is very nice with lots of back street lanes of interesting little shops and pretty cottages plus a few pubs for the odd drink. We visited Clovelly on our day in between which is about 10/12 miles away. We definitely enoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Go for a seaview room or a room in the new building just down the road.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Stayed at The Seagate last week. We were in the new The Quay rooms which was wonderful. We had a lovely view over the Estuary and the room was very modern. We had a good variety of breakfasts and evening meals. The staff were very accommodating especially the Manager Chelsey. Will definitely be staying again.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank WoodyNewquay
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

First visit for a while.didnt eat but had drinks.the waiter noticed us stood round a small table so asked if we would like to sit down so he promptly found us a table to sit at.what an absolute star.beer was very good and bar staff friendly thumbs up to the seagate going to come back and eat in a few weeks

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank c n
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Visited this hotel for dinner with friends. The decor is modern and attractive, although the carpet in the bar/restaurant area has seen better days.

The food was ok. A little pricey for what it was. Hummous ordered by one of my friends was a bit gritty. She said she preferred the one you get from M & S. I had a chicken burger. The chips were epic - big, chunky and crisp. They had been properly fried. The burger was so-so, The chicken was overcooked and came with a rasher of bacon and a grilled cheese slice. There was a lot of a tomato chutney which made the buger rather soggy. The bun disintergrated under the strain of the contents.

Puddings were pleasant but overpriced for what they were. Should have been more like £4 to £5 than the £6 plus price they were.

Service was good.

I would go again, but I wouldn't order the chicken burger. My friends' pasta and fish and chips looked good.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Something crucial to mention in this review is that they did me a very good deal on the two rooms, meaning I paid around 60% of the tariff. Had I paid full price, it would have been far more negative.

We had one large double in the main pub, which was pleasant but suffered from noise from above and below - par for the course in an old building. My room was in their brand new annex a few metres down the road, and was a "suite" on the top floor - only it wasn't a suite at all, just a large double with sofabed. A suite has at least 2 separate rooms. This was two old 3 storey houses knocked into one, though little character has been retained. It's pretty tasteful, with the exception of the exceedingly naff pseudo log burner (complete with remote) in the room. Large bathroom with tub and walk-in shower. Floor was very bouncy indeed - everything rattled when walking over it - I wouldn't want to be underneath. Tariff price for this is £240, which is way over the top.
Both rooms had glorious views of the bay.

Keys were on large fobs - particularly the one in the main building - consisting of a wooden fish about 200mm long. This was an utter pain to carry around, and way too big for a pocket. This is fine if the place has a 24/7 reception at which it can be deposited - but they don't. The pub closes sharp at 11pm. The owner was very defensive when we complained, but they are a completely daft idea.

Service OK from mainly pleasant staff. On going to bed at 11:30 on the night of arrival, I realised there were no towels of any description in my £240 room, and as it is separate from the pub, no phone and no reception. I called the main number from my mobile, and they were over within 15 mins. Pretty basic toiletries in the bathroom, coffee bag used was replaced with decaffeinated. Breakfast is served in the pub - which has been done up in a generic modern soul-less style - and pretty standard. Not a huge choice. Veggie full English consisted fried eggs, mushrooms, toms and beans. No fish option, which I would have expected considering the location.

The stay was pleasant, and as I always calibrate my expectations with what I am paying, then it was OK. The new owners have obviously spent a fortune on the place and want a return asap, but this has led to very optimistic pricing. The owner said they are nearly full all of the time - so if people will pay it, then fine. I wonder, however, how much discounting is done. The pub was certainly busy on the evenings we were there.

If you want to stay in Appledore (and who wouldn't?) then other than a couple of tiny B&Bs, then the Seagate is your only choice. Judging by what is happening in this fast gentrifying village, that may change. I would stay again for sure, but not at the tariff rates, which are over-priced.

Room Tip: The views are lovely if you get one.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appledore
7.4 km away
4.3 km away
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford

Been to The Seagate Hotel? Share your experiences!