“Shabby chic but not in a good way!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bella Vista Waterfront

Bella Vista Waterfront
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Kuah
London
“Shabby chic but not in a good way!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Bella Vista

Well where do I start this hotel is such a mixed bag!!

I will keep it simple:

Room

I had foolishly booked a 1 bedroom apartment thinking I had got the deal of the century, the "apartment" was something out of the 70's it was dated, it stunk there was a tatty old sofa in the "lounge" 2 bedrooms equally shabby and in need of TLC there was a TV set in the living area and 2 bathrooms both simple showers heads out of the wall, old style wet room no shower screen etc. I was heart broken, the thought of staying here crushed my Langkawi dream and the final straw was the rubbish air con and massive slit under the door that would let in all sorts of creatures of the night! For the first time ever I requested to change our room.

Rooms in the main hotel are modern, have been refurbished and have a plasma screen and views of the sea. They still smell funny and the cleanliness and housekeeping standards leave a lot to be desired (our sheets weren't changed for 3 days and were in desperate need of being thrown out, ink stains etc!) But the bathroom was a proper ensuite and we were happy with the down ground or upgrade depending how you look at it!

The service was inconsistent the reception staff were very grumpy at times but I found the staff who did the "real" work were eager to please and very friendly! We particularly appreciated the pool attendant who couldn't do enough to help us get shade and feel comfortable. My one regret is not getting the name of one of the staff who helped us move rooms, sorted out our confused boat trip and numerous taxi's we actually met his wife and baby in town and he had a permanent smile on his face! The bar staff were also very helpful especially when we requested to eat food from the Middle Eastern restaurant by the sea.

Location

Kuah is not a great location if you like the buzz of being able to choose different restaurants, walk along the beach and meet lots of people. Bella Vista is tucked near the end of Kuah and because there is no bridge over the small brook running around the back of it you have to walk a long way round to get on the main stretch into town. We are fit and healthy and like an evening stroll but it is badly lite and there are a lot of pot holes and shrubs so it makes for an interesting walk! You can get a taxi at 8 rg each way. However we hired scooters and found it was perfect for getting to where we needed as many of the main roads lead to Kuah

There is one grill restaurant on the sea front, a Middle eastern restaurant and then the mezzanine where the breakfast buffet was served.

The grill has very limited choice, especially for lunch and after one meal I was bored of the menu, the food was tasty just not enough choice! The middle eastern restaurant was good and they served fresh fruit juices (rather than from a carton like the bar) but the food was quite a lot more expensive and personally I thought it wasn't very good value for money! I ended up getting takeaway juices and heading to the other bar thus getting the best of both worlds (sort of)

Breakfast was disappointing - most of it was luke warm in the serving dishes, the fresh Indian option was generally good but I'm not a fan of curry for breakfast every day. So we opted for toast and fruit most days, the tea and coffee were disgusting!!

Overall this was an ok experience if you get a good rate or you are back packing and on a budget the apartment rooms could be a perfect option for a group, but you may be disappointed with the location! The pool was lovely and you can't fault the views, sunset or tranquility most evenings unless a rowdy bus load of Thai's arrive then your peace is shattered!

The hotel is dated and certainly feels like it was a grand location some twenty years ago but now seems a bit unloved and in desperate need of an upgrade the website and the reality certainly don't match! The place did grow on me but I won't be back!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building!!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kimbo81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I had my free breakfast in this hotel cafe, the foods are delicious, variety and halal for Muslims. The hotel room also convinience but the aircond was not properly functioned. The scenery from my room is facing the sea and it is soo relaxing. However, I dont have a clue why the staff took so long for check in process, nearly half an hour.. but overall this hotel is recommended to stay.. The staffs were all friendly and helpful.. the swimming pool si good, u can swim and enjoy having the sea breeze..

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea is the best...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
auckland - new zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We had an awesome time here. When we arrived we had a room with not much of a view, I asked if we could have a sea view room and were given one the next day when one became available, Nothing was to much trouble the staff were all very friendly and helpful, hotel was clean as was our room ... great comfy bed. The on site restaurant the Nautilus was great to have dinner and see all the night lights in the town.. highly recommend this hotel for comfort, cleanliness, friendly and helpful and great value for money

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view.
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I actually called up my travel planner and asked them to change my hotel reading the reviews here but I had an awsome stay at Bella Vista. Although I was ready for few things. Check in was at 1400 hrs but I clocked in my luggage and went to the Nautilius restra at the beach side to have a sip of beer. It was an awsm view.

I got room no 207 which was small but nice and clean for a couple to stay for a week. Breakfast is good and no way bad as was mentioned in the reviews as cold and bad in taste.There is a help desk who arrange for whatever u need from bikes,cars to local trips.

Regarding the location, yes it's far from beach but it's near to the jetty frm where u go for island hopping and the Kuah market. I dont think that you will always enjoy staying at Cenong beach. The view and location of pool at Bella vista is itself a place where you can spend your day. Architecture is great. There might have been problem with others, but for me it was simply great.

Regards,
Sunny

Room Tip: Take 2nd floor rooms facing the beach. They have an awsm view
1 Thank Sunny4466
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I faced a problem with my AC had to shout for a fan and took 50 ringit more though charging for plates and spoons overall bad

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuah
0.7 km away
13.4 km away
Century Langkasuka Resort
Century Langkasuka Resort
#77 of 106 in Langkawi

Been to Bella Vista Waterfront? Share your experiences!