“OVERNIGHT STAY”

George & Dragon Hotel
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I booked this hotel as I just wanted somewhere to stay overnight as I wanted to go walking in the surrounding area. I booked into the hotel on the 10th October 2017 and was met by an extremely nice young man called Chris (who we now call 5* Chris). He gave us the key to our room and told us where to go. The hotel has free parking to the rear of the property and also a lovely courtyard where you can sit and have a drink. Look, for £89.00 for 2 people which includes breakfast, you're not going to get the Ritz. The room was clean and warm with fresh towels and tea and coffee making facilities. We were asked at reception if we wanted to dine in the restaurant and we were so glad that we did. The food was worthy of a 5* in my opinion, it was absolutely first class. 5* Chris made us one of his signature gin and tonics............Happy days. My sister and I slept well and in the morning before our walk we went down to breakfast. We were shown to our table by another lovely young who made us feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We ordered the full English which was superb but my sister asked me not to say anything negative but if I am to give a true account of my experience then my only criticism is the coffee which was not nice at all and sadly your brown bread, in my opinion was cheap. Please, George and Dragon, you are in a lovely market town, where on a Wednesday you have market stalls literally outside your hotel, selling freshly made bread and cheeses and lots of lovely goodies. Go to the market and buy that lovely bread for your guests and your breakfast will be the best xx

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Having bought a Voucher earlier in the year, we made a very last minute booking. One of the first of the colder evenings, we received a very warm welcome by the host & also the warm glow from the fire. We hadn't booked to eat, but that was no problem, a very inviting menu, lots of choice, the food arrived quickly all freshly prepared, looking & tasting delicious.

We were put in a large bedroom including a suite, a very comfy bed & a good night's sleep. There was a large ensuite bathroom, with a shower attachment on the bath taps, but not a very long hose. An independent shower attached to the wall would make a big difference.

The following morning we ate a delicious cooked breakfast in the dining room, which looks like it has recently been decorated to a very high standard.

We would definitely go back again & it would be great if the bedrooms & ensuites had a little tlc.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2017

We were staying in holiday cottage outside the village, but ate here three times during our weeks holiday. Each time the staff were very polite and pleasant. Four in our party and all our meals each time were lovely and generous portions.

Cannot comment on the Hotel as we were not staying.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Stayed here as we were in York for a wedding. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly lad who showed us to our rooms. I was told on the way that my room had been upgraded as they had received a cancellation.... good I thought. The room was nice but lacked simple things, a bath with no shower is fine but not when there is no shower attachment either, how was I supposed to wash my hair.... answer... go down to my friends room and wash it under their shower attachment, not practical when 3 of you are are trying to get ready! My friends room was not pleasant so they decided to share mine as I had the family room with 3 beds in it. Went down to reception before we left for the wedding (7ish), and explained that we would be sharing one room, got a frosty answer and the lady walked away from us. Imagine our surprise on returning, at gone midnight, when we went up to the room and no linen had been put on the spare beds and no extra towels in the room. Two of us slept with no bed sheets or duvet covers.
The reception was again frosty in the morning when we went down for breakfast, having been told to find a table in the dining room and someone would take our breakfast order, we were left sitting waiting while others around us got theirs. We were then told we were sitting at the wrong table, nothing to indicate this other than there was 3 of us and not 4. Breakfast was not nice, and didn't come as we had ordered. Others were also being hassled about where they had decided to sit, were friends coming to join them or not as they were sitting at a table for 4 and there was only 2 of them etc etc.
No wifi even through they advertise there is. A gardener mowing the lawn very early on a Sunday morning is also not ideal!
Being in the hospitality business myself, I have to say the lady ( I suspect the owner) who we dealt with, really needs to learn some customer service skills, as quite frankly she was downright rude. We will not be going back!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vincenzo1202
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We just stayed and had the Friday night deal-room/breakfast/dinner/bottle of wine £115 fabulous value the food is simply delicious! Can't fault it in any way! The staff are delightful and the girl in charge is very friendly and efficient! Would recommend to anyone and will without a doubt return.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkbymoorside
0.1 km away
0.9 km away
Brickfields Farm
Brickfields Farm
#2 of 8 in Kirkbymoorside

Been to George & Dragon Hotel? Share your experiences!