“A wonderful period house in a superb location with a charming host.”

Ye Olde Black Horse
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Rottingdean
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2018

John Towler and his staff could not have done more to ensure all 14 of us had a wonderful evening meal following the send off of our dear beloved father who was your number one fan. Thank you so much for all the kindness shown, we look forward to continued visits and are sure our dad will be watching and laughing on high.

1  Thank nikki20052015

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

We visited on Sunday 1st July as a group of 8 for one of our friends birthdays. Everything was first class from food to service! The waiter (young guy beard- sorry we should have got your name) was so friendly, professional and helpful with all our questions. Quality and choice of food were so good and even the chef popped out to say hello. We will most certainly be back!

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Called here about 4pm, only us in there , wanted to eat but weren’t taking food orders until 6 , decor a changed since last visited, not sure about it .

John T, Owner at Ye Olde Black Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

We are sorry you were unable to enjoy our lovely food on this occasion - we do try to publicise our food service times as clearly as possible on our website, social media and on the door as you enter the premises.
As a small independent business we do have to be mindful of staffing our kitchen and restaurant at times when demand is particularly low, unlike the larger chains that are able to offer food all day. However, we are pleased to say that the benefit of our indepedence is a unique menu and experience that we hope you are able to enjoy another time.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We were a table of 4, the Mackerel pate starter was ok. The squid starter was very small for the money and compared to other pubs that do good food. Bread was mouldy served with starter. Prawn cocktail poor quality prawns. For the cost of the mains would expect a bit more veg.... 7 green beans and 4 tiny new potatoes, think the chef had run out of ingredients. Didn’t have desserts as felt a bit ripped off with poor quality poor quantity food!

1  Thank ATBrighton

We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. As you can see from the vast majority of our other reviews, your experience wasn't typical and we are looking into what might have happened in your particular instance.
We do aim to provide high quality food, locally sourced where possible, freshly prepared on site with generous portions and that is exactly what we usually deliver. We're struggling to determine what could have gone wrong this time but rest assured that your comments are noted.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

I walked over from the marina on a beautiful sunny day and as a treat decided to have a Sunday roast at the end. The place I was thinking of going to stopped serving at 2.30pm and so I wandered up the high street, past another place that also stopped serving and wondered if I would have to walk home to get lunch!

Then I stumbled on this place and I am so glad I did. Being set back from the beach it is a bit of a hidden gem. There are 3 parts to the pub and they are all decorated in a bright, yet beachy styles. I ordered the roast lamb and ask for a Yorkshire pudding as an add-on along with extra gravy. This was all met with of course you can. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

When the food came it was beautifully presented with the meat, Yorkshire and roast potatoes on one plate with a side dish for the vegetables. And it certainly tasted as good as it looked. If I had not been in a public place I may have licked the plate clean of gravy. I am so glad that I didn't go to the other place otherwise I would not have found Ye Olde Black Horse and had such a happy Sunday. Thank you.