“Small portions !”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have just returned from a meal at this restsurant. It was a last minute descision to go. I am vegetarian and my husband a meat eater. I was limited for choice with one starter and one main meal to chose from. The soup was the smallest portion of soup I have ever been served .... Although it was served in an enormous bowl ... A tiny piece of bread accompanied it . I followed with a vegetarian main ... Two breadcrumbed balls of rice ... They were fine but no vegetables or potatoes came with it . There were extras on the menu which you could purchase with your meal . My tiny meal was not worth the money ..... My husband enjoyed his lamb for main .... But again the starter was served in an enormous bowl but only a tiny anout of food was in it .....

We also thought drinks were expensive too.

2  Thank Julie R

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It’s been a couple of years since we last ate here so my wife’s birthday seemed a great time to visit again. What a surprise to find the place barely a third full on a Saturday evening on a Bank Holiday weekend ! The menu is now sparse with very limited choices and the prices way too high for what you receive . I could have sworn they used to have a special board to choose from? Far better value in The Fisherman’s Retreat or The FirePit down the road? Service was average but never saw a smile from any of the bar staff or those serving! They looked like they had lost interest as much as this place has lost its appeal. Time for a rethink and change of direction with so many local places offering a much better service and dining experience .

2  Thank aNT64BABY
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

visited today for lunch, very limited menu advised by the waiter that there was no salads available and only one type of sandwich, so we decided to have one fish and chips and one burger, after a wait of more than 40 minutes our meals arrived, my husbands fish and chips arrived with the wrong chips and my burger arrived that looked liked it had been cremated, served with dreadful garnish of limp gem leaves and red onion and something that was dreadful to look at which consisted of large lumps of cabbage in mayonnaise, we have visited the hearth on many occasions and it was extremely poor today, the dishes are normally served on wooden boards and on baking paper looking like newspaper, really sad it has got this bad, we had originally booked a table for 4 on easter sunday sadly we will be cancelling

1  Thank Hayley R
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My family and I visited on a whim after a visit to the chocolate festival this weekend but we will definitely come back. Food a little pricey but you get what you pay for. My dad had the black pudding starter and the lamb main - excellent. My mum had the fish and chips which was again, excellent (especially the triple cooked chips) and I had the burger which was great. The burger bun needs a rethink though. Super dense and I had to remove it as it was just like chewing a rock. The burger itself was delicious but to charge an extra pound for a little piece of bacon and an additional pound for cheese too I don’t think very fair - makes the burger £13.95.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Initial welcome was okay and bar staff attentive when we arrived. Enjoyed our first drinks. It went down hill thereafter.

Shown to our table with almost empty glasses but weren't asked if we'd like another drink or offered a drinks menu. Sat and waited for about 10 minutes and then went to the bar in the conservatory area to order a bottle of wine. Shiraz very nice when it arrived.

Miserable man who took our order and my Husband then disappointed to be told they had run out of fillet steak. It was 7.45pm. How can a restaurant that seems to pride itself on its grill menu run out of fillet steak so early into the night? Ordered shin of beef which was tough and not particularly well presented. Scallops for starter were better but at £14 you'd hope so!

I had a the pork belly with crackling to start. Crackling didn't crack! It was soft and soggy. The cod dish I had for my main was much better.

We both enjoyed our deserts. Cheese board selection was lovely and if you have a sweet tooth and like lemon you'll love the lemon curd dish :)

Overall, the service was terrible. Not once did our wine glasses get filled, we had yo keep asking for water, nobody checked inbetween courses if we were okay. No salt or pepper on the table - had to ask next table if we could borrow theirs. I know these are only little things but when you are paying top prices then you expect top service to match it.

We won't be returning and I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe we just had a bad experience (again... we were giving it another chance after a previous mediocre meal there), as the place is always full and the atmosphere is good.