“Liked the new menu veggie heaven”
Review of The Dolphin Inn

The Dolphin Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Betchworth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub serving traditional British food and using the best seasonal local (where possible) ingredients. Set in a stunning location in Surrey opposite St Michael's church which had a starring role in hit film, four weddings & a funeral!
Reviewed 2 April 2018

It was great to go out to a pub and have a choice for vegetarians. I am not veggie but my partner is. There were 7 or 8 dishes that were available which is very rare, normally same boring items. She had a aubergine, fennel, beetroot wellington and a cracked wheat pomegranate, purple broccoli salad 10/10 I had catch of the day trout supreme with a scrummy potato and radish salad with landcress never heard of it but like watercress I imagine. Katie recommend the dish and she was right to, that was the person who served us. Drinks were good and the pub looked like it had a lick of paint and was cosy. Will be back soon thanks

Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! We are really pleased with our mini refurbishment and I know our kitchen team will be over the moon to read your feedback on our new menu.

Thanks so much and I hope to see you again soon.

Warm wishes

Reviewed 27 March 2018

A lovely village pub in a great area. My friend suggested lunch there as it’s a good location for the two of us (we meet in the middle). I had the sausages from their local butchers. The BEST I have ever tasted. So many places get simple dishes wrong but this was deliscious. It’s great to see a company like Youngs supporting local businesses. The service was friendly and efficient. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for and in this case I couldn’t fault it.

Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Dolphin. We are very proud to be working The Dorking Butchery. Gary and Al (owners of the Butchery) are incredibly passionate about what they do. We are so excited to share this passion with them. We have just started to use them for steaks too so keep an eye for those on our menu.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Just back from a lovely afternoon lunch as part of a group to celebrate a birthday. It's a great old country pub - particularly good sitting by the log burner whilst it snowed outside.

The food was excellent. I had the trio of roast meats - pork, lamb and beef - which was very tasty and a big plateful. Pretty much all the table went for roast dinners too, and all enjoyed. We probably over ordered on the extra sides of pigs-in-blankets though!

Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. You were all a pleasure to serve and i am so pleased your enjoyed your afternoon with us!

Customers like you make the job worthwhile!

Thanks so much, see you again soon

Best wishes

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Really good pint of youngs special, food stuck to the youngs menu, so not up to much. Stopped eating there. No variety. Great atmos with fire and stone floors etc. Been recently decorated, where's the photo of the queen mum gone, tut tut. And why are there hundreds of little skulls on the wall ? Strange look.

Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your review. Our menu is fresh, seasonal and locally sourced as much as possible. We have recently changed our menu and if you have any specific feedback I’d be interested to hear it. Unlike other Pub companies, Young’s pubs have different menus. For example we work with a local butchers and bakers.... Young’s pubs in the middle of London don’t work with a surrey butcher for obvious reasons.

Queen Mum is still here, she’s on another wall (tut tut for not looking hard enough!)

I have already spoken to the design team on the decor in the Toby room. Some customers love them, some don’t. It’s a bit like marmite.

I am however very glad you enjoy the special!

If you would like to discuss your comments in more detail, please email me - dolphin@youngs.co.uk

Thanks

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Arrived here on a recommendation and first impressions were ok, the staff were friendly and it looked like a nice place to go. We ordered the same drinks as we had just had in another pub/restaurant and i questioned the price as it was nearly £5 dearer, I understand different places have different pricing policies but when a round for 4 people is nearly £20 and one drink is coke I wonder if the policy is right. We also ordered some food and two dishes turned up quickly but had to wait for the third. I was about to ask where it was when a member of staff came over to ask if we had ordered a steak sandwich as one had been in the kitchen for ages, when it arrived the steak had to be cut up as it was tough! Its a shame to write this as first impressions were good unfortunately the Dolphin couldn't deliver.

Anna B, General Manager at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Hi Daren,

Thanks for your comments. We are a Youngs managed house and the drink prices are beyond my control. You are very welcome to contact Young’s directly if you would like to express your views on the drinks prices.

In terms of the food I’m so sorry your meals weren’t delivered together, there is no excuse for this and I would like to find out what happened and who served you. If you could kindly drop me an email we can speak in more detail.

Dolphin@youngs.co.uk