All reviews the pub sheltered garden nespresso coffee machine newton ferrers busy road beautiful room sea bass business trip couple of nights good size a great place to stay south hams first floor breakfast was excellent on arrival two nights comfortable bed
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times before and each time has been excellent. The rooms are very well appointed and finished, and the food in the bar area is superb with a great selection of ales available. The staff are very chatty and friendly, and helpful too. I highly recommend this place, I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in this part of Devon.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
StAustellManagement, Manager at Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Thank you very much for this great review, We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and do hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed there while visiting our son in Plympton and we were delighted with nearly everything about it.

The bed was superb! The room was clean and very well looked after with everything we needed for a restful stay. The tea and coffee were replenished daily and the breakfast had just about everything we could ask for! Bathroom and decor, excellent.

The evening meal in the restaurant was a little mixed. My wife’s meal was good, but I had the seabass which was just trying too hard to be haute cuisine. On the whole the evening meals were good, but would have been served better by being a little less clever and a little more “simple food cooked well”, but we couldn’t fault the breakfast it was superb!

The staff were very friendly and very helpful. Parking was ample and easy to access and the stay was exactly what we needed. Would book again. Great value, great stay.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eponymous-Englishman

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights as part of a business trip within Plymouth in June 2018.
Positives:
- Attractive spacious room equiped with ensuite. Room was very clean and well maintained.
- Food in the restraunt was excellent both in the evenings and during breakfast.
- Great helpful staff. During my journey down to Devon I had the misfortune of having my phone stolen,the staff were very helpful in assisting me, one of the staff members (Jamie) lent me his personal Amazon alexa device to serve as an alarm clock.
- Beautiful surrounding area.
- Plymouth within reach by taxi.
- Nice bar with good selection of beers.
In summary I would recommend this venue as part of a business or social event and would be happy to book again.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business

Reviewed 29 June 2018

We ate here at lunch time. Wanting a light meal opted for a ploughmans. What a poor plate of food. For £11 we expected something better than what we got. A slice of ham that was awful, a piece of cheese that was small, rubbery and tasteless, half a tomato, a few leaves, a bit of thinly sliced apple, 4 silver skin onions and 2 pieces of bread. The cost of the ingredients couldn't have come to £1. Totally over priced and a waste of money. Would not recommend or visit again.

Room tip: we did not stay here, just ate.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Mary T
Reviewed 7 March 2018

Beautiful little pub/hotel in the middle of nowhere! I am working in the Plymouth area for the next few months and wanted to avoid the larger hotels. I found this little jewel last September - arrived on a Sunday and enjoyed a perfect Sunday roast in the pub area and had a beautiful room - best night's sleep in ages!!!
Back again in February 2018 - after a gruelling 7 hours journey through snow etc. Very welcoming gentleman greeted me and took my order for my much needed wine very swiftly (and delivered it in record time! I must have looked desperate!). The steak that I had was fantastic - reasonably priced, great service and lovely atmosphere. The caramel panna cotta was to die for! Beautifully served and again at a reasonable price.

The room I was allocated as a single traveller was a kingsize double - lovely room - photos attached! The room I had had access to a terrace area (not exclusive to this room as there were steps from other areas to it) but unless you knew the terrace was there, you would not just stumble across it! I know which room I am requesting when I return again in a couple of months when the weather is better! Wifi very good, reliable, facilities in room very good and extensive!

All in all - this hotel/pub cannot be faulted. Perfect for a short stay - very comfortable, just across the road from a Londis outlet with necessary items there and attentive, polite staff. Excellent food for dinner and breakfast tops this place off!

Date of stay: February 2018