“No frills Delicious Seafood!”
Review of Chowder House

Chowder House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 6 October 2017

being in Nova Scotia most of the experience has to be Seafood. The Chowder House is a non pretentious eatery that serves the most reasonably priced seafood. My wife and I both had the Fisherman's platter filled with scallops, clams shrimp mussels and haddock. sides of fries and coleslaw. Nothing fancy but reasonably priced and tasty. definitely recommend this to the frugal traveller.

1  Thank Gerry1952

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

The name should be called Fish and Chips House because they were excellent, the chowder was very disappointing. Other reviews said it was thick and creamy with lots of crab/fish, while others had what we experienced... thin and watery with lots of corn. I’m pretty sure less than a level teaspoon of crab. I usually clean my plate even with below average food but I nor my husband could eat it. By far, not exaggerating, the worst chowder I have ever had. We had very good service on a day they only took take out orders. Also a beautiful location!

Reviewed 5 October 2017

After reading all the great reviews, we planned to stop here on our Cabot Trail tour. What we experienced was nothing like what others wrote in their reviews. The restaurant was take-out only, with a very small menu of mostly sandwiches and chowder, and was incredibly overpriced. Very disappointing.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We got there early and walked the point a bit waiting for it to open. Worth the wait! We had a bowl of the seafood chowder, a bowl of corn chowder, and a single piece fish fry, and I was glad to be able to share the fish. The chowder was thin brothed and buttery, a tiny bit spicy, no potatoes, and full of all kinds of fish and shellfish. Really reminiscent of what Melville describes at the Try-pots inn. The fish couldn't have been fresher. Rustic dockside / diner atmosphere was perfect for the location. Wait staff was a bit pre-occupied or understaffed, not sure, maybe having a bad day but professional and reasonable. Prices were not bad considering the location. In my top three chowders! We went back for dinner next day: more chowder and the broiled Haddock was excellent.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

We enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the Chowder House. We both ordered the lobster sandwich, and were blown away by the generous portions of lobster on them! We visited on a Sunday, right at the start of the lunch rush, and though they were super busy, the wait staff was friendly, helpful, and I feel we got our lunch in a reasonable amount of time. The delicious food along with the fabulous view made this an extra-special experience. Highly recommend!