Book In Advance
More Information

Ways to Experience Cape Kamui
from US$104.32
More Info
All reviews parking lot rented a car high winds few times worth the trip beautiful place amazing views tip end lighthouse walk cape sapporo otaru sea summer japan
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 July 2018

We arrived in the late afternoon at an almost idle weather condition; dry, sheltered from the sun by the clouds, mild wind and not as chilly as expected. And best of all, no crowds. We met only 2 small families returning on our way to the tip of the cape where the lighthouse is. I can't image if there are many tourists sharing the same narrow path that seem like mountain ridge. The hike was strenuous but if my 6 years old boy can enjoyed it all the way and back, I bet most can make it to enjoy what is at the tip of the cape. I didn't notice how long we took to hike there and back, but overall we spent probably more than an hour to soak ourselves in this magnificent hike and place all by our own. By the time we got back to the carpark, we saw someone standing just outside the public toilet. He spoke Japaneses to us which we couldn't understand. We only get to know that he is a park staff when he prepared and closed the toilet right after we used it. Since we have about half an hour before the park close at 6pm, we just wondered around the carpark area, snapping away whatever we came across as beautiful. After we had enough and drove out to the gate at the main road, the same staff was already there, waiting for us to exit before he closed the gate for the day.

Date of experience: June 2018
2  Thank ongwl82016
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

The route from Niseko took us along the eastern coast; there were hardly any cars and it was beautiful. At the carpark, it takes 5 minutes to walk to the gate which says ‘women are forbidden’. Beyond that, if you wish to walk to the lighthouse at the end, it takes around 20 minutes. Definitely worth it though, the scenery that greeted us at the very end was stunning. However, get ready for many short ascents and descents! Spend about 45-75 minutes here, lesser if u do not wish to hike to the end.

Date of experience: May 2018
4  Thank Bryanntan
Reviewed 11 February 2018

The weather was perfect when we went to Cape Kamui. The skies were clear but the sun was not scorching and it was windy, of course. I had a hard time catching up with my husband on the way to the tip of the cape. We stayed there for a few minutes for some photos and we had to return right away to catch our bus. The hike took about 20 mins and coming back was torturous for me. I was panting like a dog when I reached our meeting area. So lesson learned, be ready for such hikes and make sure you are in good condition. Wear good shoes of course! and dont forget to bring water with you.

Date of experience: November 2017
2  Thank Shey816
Reviewed 7 November 2017

We rented a car in Otaru and drove to this place. It was quite a scenic drive along the coastline and no traffic at Shakotan area. Please note that the gps navigation screen in the rental is in Japanese but voice navigation can be set to English. We had the car rental company helped to set our destinations before we drove off. From the entrance to the viewing platform is about 15-20minutes walk and I must say it is the most thrilling walk in my life. The wind was so strong and please, please, please put on sun glasses if you are not wearing any glasses because you will have a hard time seeing with strong wind constantly blowing to your eyes. And of course, I don't need to say more on the view. It's stunning and you have see it with your own eyes. This place is the highlight of my Hokkaido trip.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

The view was beautiful. The walk up the cape was easy. It was mostly visited by locals. If you love nature, Cape Kamui is definitely worth visiting.

Date of experience: July 2017