“Great Guide service from Mr.San Park”

Preah Vihear Temple
Book In Advance
More Info
US$199.00*
and up
Day Trip to Preah Vihear Temple and Koh Ker...
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had a tour with your tour guide and your brother on the 1st and 2nd of June.
Thank you for your great service and to inform you that we had
a very good tour with your guide Mr.Wit Chey( Not sure if its the correct spelling,Sorry) and
your brother was really friendly. I would definitely recommend you to my friends or anyone i
know travelling to Angkor temples.

Date of experience: June 2014
in 8 reviews
"foreign tourists"
"bullet holes"
in 6 reviews
"international court of justice"
"an adventure"
in 12 reviews
"small town"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I visited the Preah Vihear Temple during a trip to a few weeks ago during a trip around the eponymous province.

My visit took a unconventional route. I took a wrong turn and ended walking through the army encampment at the bottom of the grand staircase. Fortunately the officers that I met were congenial and after sharing of cigarettes and beverages, became quite friendly. Having a view sympathetic to Cambodian ownership of the region (fairly easy) and understanding the hardship of jungle warfare (more difficult to pull off) was helpful.

During my climb to the top, I did not see any tourists and I had the place more or less to myself. After admiring the view from the cliff top, I made my way to the central temple. The actual temple structure is a ruin (bit like Beng Melea) but the sanctuary remained intact. There I saw something that really made my visit. A large party of locals sudden appeared and took part in some ceremony with the monks. Very mysterious, romantic and poignant at the same time.

I will forgo a detailed description of the site other than to say that it is in poor condition and what remains, in my view, is not that amazing. If you happen to be nearby, then certainly take the time. However if you are in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh, then I do not think it would be worth the time and effort. Perhaps spending the extra time in Koh Ker might be a better investment.

I should reiterate that although there is no entrance fee, a passport is needed to register at the base. Also it costs $25 to hire a 4WD from the base to the temple.

1  Thank E150A
Reviewed 20 May 2014

It's the most expensive day tour on the list- USD$82 per pax for a 4wheel drive over 3hrs and up the mountain to get to preah vihear temple. But it's definitely worth the time and money! We spent one full day for the trip and this sky temple has become my favourite place in Siem Reap.

We saw more monks and locals, than foreign tourists, at this place. There were also many unexpected sights like the Cambodian army spying the Thais through binoculars and if you venture further into their camp site you will see with their guns and underground bunkers etc.

When you reach the top of the temple, immerse in the view from the cliff.. it is beyond words :)

1  Thank wallflower69
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our trip to Preah Vihear was amazing! Especially our tour guide Mr. San (012 788 354) turned it into a very smooth and enjoyable experience. The ride to the border is fairly long, like 3 hours, and the scene is odd at times - you experience a mix of military personnel, monks and local visitors - and it all makes one curious to discover every corner of the temple site. The ornaments of the Hindu temple, which is devoted to deity Shiva, are great to view and you see for instance the Churning of the Ocean of Milk. I highly recommend a tour guide like Mr. San who is very knowledgable to explain each every level. Surely you will enjoy the stunning views from the top towards Thailand's Surin state and Cambodia's Preah Vihear province. An expperience not to be missed! For more info check Mr. San's webpage too http://www.angkor-temple-guides.com/Home.aspx

3  Thank Pani_Brodova