“A brasserie worth visiting”
Review of Brasserie Leopold

Brasserie Leopold
Reserve with
Brasserie Leopold is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 203 Restaurants in Ixelles
Price range: US$18 - US$59
Cuisines: Belgian, French, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Brasserie Leopold is a traditional restaurant and has been serving high quality food at a reasonable price for more than 30 years.We have a daily 2 course lunch menu from 21.00 Eur with a glass of house wine from 4.50 eur. Food is traditional Belgian and international with a modern slant - Carbonnade Flamande, Tomate crevettes, solettes, rabbit etc.Vegetarian and vegan options daily. The wine list and up to date menu can be found at our brasserie-leopold.be website Our motto ? Its always a pleasure !
Reviewed 1 February 2017

The Leopold Brasserie is located at the ground floor of the Leopold Hotel, where I stayed during my recent business trip to Brussels. I decided to give it a try on the evening I reached the hotel, as I was too tired to walk around and look for alternatives. I saw a sign about a two-course meal for 21 euros (including an espresso coffee) and this looked interesting.

The restaurant is nicely (and simply) decorated and features different areas with different arrangements. I was greeted warmly and offered a table for one. I asked for the two-course meal but I was informed that it is not offered on Sunday (I must have missed that on the sign) so I went for the beef stew with fries. The portion was on the big side, the meat was well-cooked and it tasted really nice. Mixed salad was nice but small but the weakest part was the fries; they came in an interesting presentation (paper cone on a metallic stand) but they were typical fries; far from the typical Belgian potatoes that I was expecting. However, they were a perfect match for the thick gravy of the stew.

Along with a small bottle of Belgian beer, I paid 21,50 euros - not cheap but taking into consideration the size and quality of the portion it was ok.

As I was curious about the two-course menu, I visited the Leopold Brasserie on the next day; indeed the waitress offered me this option as soon as I was seated. It was a fixed one and consisted of a dish with cold fish fillets with mixed salad (I cannot recall the name) followed by chicken fillets with potatoes - a strange combination I have to admit! I am not a big fan of fish but the specific one was ok, with a slice of fish gel on its side. However, the chicken was delicious: big portion, very tasty, juicy and combined with whole small potatoes with mushrooms and eggplants, if I noticed well. This time, the bill was 27,50 euros, including a bitter lemon soda and a small bottle of sparkling water. It surely worth it :-)

I was not offered an espresso (I thought it was included in the offer) when I asked for the bill but I was in a hurry to catch up with the business meeting, so I didn't even mention it. In any case, the service in both cases was friendly and fast and the prices were normal compared to the ones offered in the area. I also got a proper receipt - at least the second time (the first time I was left with the proforma but I guess it will do the work). I mention that because getting a proper receipt is usually an issue in Brussels but business travelers like me need them to get reimbursed (I have even received a paper with just the amount of the bill hand-written in some cases!).

All in all, I would visit Leopold Brasserie next time, too; however, I might be tempted to try a different restaurant just for the experience. If I wanted to be on the safe side though, I would go for its lovely beef stew :-)

1  Thank vprot

Reviewed 27 December 2016

I was desperate to find a place for a nice meal on Christmas day in a foreign city. The head of Brasserie Leopold went out of his way to email me that they were open and serving a set menu. We were excited to find that they were located just a couple of blocks from our airbnb apartment. The restaurant is located inside the hotel and it was very quiet and cozy with just a couple dozen, small tables. The first course was a tiny lobster which was amazing! We don't usually like lobster because it's kind of dry, but this was perfect; I wanted more! Second course was foie gras, which we'd never had but enjoyed very much. The entree was roast boar which I found a bit dry, but I think it was actually perfect (I just find pork a bit dry overall) and we all cleared our plates. The desert was mango and quince (which was new to us also) and speculoos ice cream which was all delicious! The house red complemented the meal perfectly for us. The dishes came out in a timely, but not rushed manner and the service was fantastic. We were so thankful to find a restaurant open and serving such a wonderful meal for Christmas!

1  Thank Kwajrunner
Reviewed 6 December 2016

We went there on a large team dinner. The menu was not cheap (50€ per person) and the food was average and not very interesting. They had several groups that evening, which might be one of the reasons, but I just had the impression they weren't making a big effort...

Leopold39, Manager at Brasserie Leopold, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2016

Dear Ana F

Thanks for your comments. Of course we are rather disappointed to hear you thought we were 'average'. 50 eur for a 3 course dinner in a beautiful Christmas decorated private dining room, with your own waiting staff and freshly prepared food, including aperitif, wine and coffee...? Whoever, booked your team dinner made the choices of menu from a large choice and with over 100 people, there are always some who would prefer some other choice. They also made the choice of price - we have meals to fit most budgets

Interestingly in the last month we have catered for over 3,000 diners in groups and private dinners, most of whom have booked with us each year for the last 4-5 years and most of whom have re-booked for next year already, so I suppose that puts into context your 'average and overpriced' comments. We have received nothing but positive feedback. As they say you can't please all the people all of the time...

Reviewed 22 November 2016

Good place to have a business dinner and charming atmosphere. Great selection of wine and full bar.

Staff is friendly with the service.

Leopold39, Manager at Brasserie Leopold, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2016

We think we offer good service and great value for money, so we are glad you agree :)

Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Overall a nice place to have a bite while staying at the hotel
Very nice decor feels like eating in vintage france
Theres lunch deals for 21euro for two courses which is good value for money and the food os good too

Leopold39, Manager at Brasserie Leopold, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

Thanks TerryTips
We try to keep a classic feel with decor and food, as well as maintaining value for money !