Hotel Chuabo
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 September 2016

Out of the game
Walking in the front lobby one cames to the realisation that this was once a classy and modern hotel but it has lost its shine long ago. A curled and beautiful stair next to the lobby that takes to the higher floors and restaurant of the hotel is an eye catcher, this together with a high roof together and ample glass windows and door complete the picture of a once perfect lobby. Checking-in was as quick as it can get. I got my key to my room on the fifth floor. The lift is old and noisy it felt like it would stop at any time.

I quickly reach the 5th floor and easily found the door to my room. I open it with the Yale metal key, pale and old hanging from a rather heavy lead key ring.~ The room is ample and has a floor carpet. It is dark, even with all lights on and feels terribly dusty, maybe has not been used for months. Everything is old, lamp fixtures, bed, chairs etc. The bath room is less appealing with a rusty bathtub, and old faucets and the list of no nice things goes on.

I really want to leave, but get the realisation that I was booked by an agent so I keep my cool. may be I should stay, since I am only staying one night...Needless to say, I had a bad night sleep, unconfortable bed, sneezed almost all night due to sheets dust . This hotel is really terrible and out of the game! I am glad I left the next day, not staying here again…

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2014

This hotel was built about 40 years ago, (I would think in the early 60s) and very little has changed since then. As other reviewers have pointed out, it has its charms, such as the vintage furniture, the beautiful spiral staircase, and the wood work in the hallways and doors. But the bathrooms could use a bit of work - the fixtures have got a bit worn down. I stayed several nights, and one weekend night I got almost no sleep because of the incessant noise from a disco down the street. It didn't help to close the windows. The restaurant on the top floor has nice views and can be good - i really liked the grilled prawns - some of the best I've had in MZ. The staff were reasonably friendly, but not overly so.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel is well located in Quelimane. Service here is not good, it take to long and staff seems to need training on client orientation. The rooms are big but old. The airconditionar was not working propely and I ask to change the room because was so hot that I couldnt sleep. During the weekend I couldnt sleep because of the loud noise of the music from the Boite on the last floor of the hotel. Besides that I found a big cockroach on the bathroom at my room. I promised never return.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Total rip off for run down hotel. Very expensive, twin room cheaper than double room without reason. Only hot water in shower, so either burn yourself or dont shower. Basin only cold water. Everything very old, tv looked like from before world war 2. Dark room, hardly any lamps, tried to move the bed and a piece came off, this place is a joke. The price they ask makes you realize what a bad joke. Checked out after 10 minutes. If you are looking for holiday in hell, quelimane is the place for you. Otherwise dont bother visiting this town.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Jemina_11
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel one night. I agree with the other reviewers that the place is unique from an architectural point of view! The restaurant on the top floor offers amazing views over an old cathedral and the river. It seems that this is among the very view places that stayed opened during the civil war in Mozambique. So its sort of history. The room, bed and the bathroom was clean. The mattresses are not great. The card reader did not work so I had to find cash. Qualimane itself has some nice buildings lefts. considering the alternatives this is probably teh best option in the town.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business