“Fantastic night”

Price range: US$13 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Myself and a large group of friends came to Gallacher's Smokehouse to celebrate a friends birthday. Not only were the owner and staff were so helpful and accommodating but the food was excellent. As there was a large group of us we went for what was there party menu, and on first thoughts I thought "would this be enough for our crowd?". Boy was I wrong! There was so much food all cooked to an amazing standard. The staff were very attentive making sure we are had drinks and all the foods and there sides. We ending on partying on till closing time, but they didn't seem to mind our happy crowd.

I definitely would and have recommended Gallacher's to many of family and friends who haven't been yet.

Thank you Adrian for a great night!

2  Thank Samantha T
Adrian P, Owner at Gallacher's Smokehouse Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Samantha.

We are so glad that you and your friends enjoyed the Party BBQ Feast that we served you.
It was a pleasure to host your party and we hope to see you all again soon.
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

We had the Weds special £20 all you can eat. Great food and friendly service. We will go again.The ribs just fell off the bone and smoked like I was in the USA. You must try out this place you will fall in love with it. The starter was delicious. Butterfly prawns with sweet chilli dip. The chips are lovely and plenty. We both loved it here.

1  Thank ivoratzkok

Thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience at Gallacher's. We really appreciate it. The £20 BBQ are extremely popular and offer (we think) very good value for money. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

We were keen to visit here as we had heard lots about it, I was so disappointed! On entering the restaurant there were staff sat at the bar, all of who seemed reluctant to welcome us in! We was shown to a table in the window, with a wooden bench that looked far from appealing, so the younger of the group sat on that! The place is smaller than you think, with high ceilings, this creates some kind of echoing void! There was only us and one other table in at the time and the noise was immense, I can't imagine what it must be like when its busy!!
The waitress was a young girl, very keen, slightly nervous, but a real lack of training is apparent. I feel for these young people, desperate to earn some money but with no real guidance. Meals were handed over across the table and a lack of knowledge on some of the menu items.
We all had starters and all decided after we wished we hadn't, honestly the best of the 3 we had was prawns from the grill, but they didn't taste of chilli. Theres more meat on a sparrows leg than was on the ribs and the breaded prawns were just poor in size.

There are cocktails, but nothing exciting, about 6 to choose from.

The best thing, and really what I came for, was the steak, it was immense! If I had known they would cover my chips in a seasoning that required me to drink 2 litres of fluid to quench my thirst I would have requested it without.

I was also surprised to see there was only one toilet? How does this place cope when it is busy, I will never find out!

3  Thank Angela T
Adrian P, Owner at Gallacher's Smokehouse Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Angela, we don't make a fuss.
However, there are just a few points that you raise that really do concern me.
Firstly, your obvious dislike of high ceilings. Our restaurant is situated in a building that is over a century old. We do indeed have a high ceiling as the Victorians (who built the building) had a fondness of them.
To remedy this we could put in a suspended ceiling. Maybe one of those polystyrene tiled affairs that were popular in the 70's. We have taken a vote and decided to stick to the high, original form. Sorry.
Secondly, The Cocktail menu with 6 cocktails. This one is a mystery. We have inspected all of our cocktail menus and have yet to find one with just 6 cocktails listed. Not sure if you brought one from home, but we just can't find one as you describe.
Our Third concern is "where did the toilets vanish to when you visited"?
This one really did concern me.
I mounted an immediate investigation to seek out the toilets. Just one toilet in our high ceilinged, limited cocktail choice, echo chamber would be just wrong.
The Gents toilet was easy to find. Two urinals, two sinks, one cubical with toilet and sink, a hand dryer and soap dispensers were all present and correct. Now I set off on the quest to locate the Ladies loos.
I found them!
Yup, they are right next door to the Gents. Two individual cubicles, both with WC, Sink and mirrors. Hand dryer and further mirror in the lobby.
Lordy, how would we cope when busy with only one toilet? I guess I’ll never find out.
The mysterious case of the seasoning on the chips. Angela, if only you had said “Can I have new chips with no seasoning on them”. We wouldn’t have made a fuss. We would have given you new chips. It really is that simple. Clearly I’m also concerned that you drank all that liquid (I’m guessing it wasn’t in the form of cocktails given the choice of only 6) with only one toilet available (although we have three).
All in all Angela your visit and subsequent review do appear to have been made in some alternate universe or the TolietZone if you will. I can assure that on the evening that you visited for your early table we did serve around 90 guests in our little, high ceilinged, 44 seat restaurant. There was never a line for the toilets. The other guests chose cocktails from our extensive menu and from the guest cocktails listed on the blackboards and they all seemed to have a nice time.

Adrian Gallacher

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

In the last week I have visited Gallacher’s twice, and my tastebuds have been rewarded for my loyalty!!! (I’ve been several times over the last year and never been disappointed!)
It doesn’t matter if you are a large or small table, you get treated fabulously by the team and the food is mouth watering every single time!!
My visit tonight - I treated my dad who is visiting Essex from Devon - We have walked away stuffed and relaxed! I asked to adapt a burger, and they went out of their way to help fit my needs, and even ordered it in a way that saved me money!!
I always enjoy my evening, and the food is always amazing, what more could you ask for! X

1  Thank Anne N

Hi Anne,

It's always a pleasure to see you in our little restaurant. It was good to see your Dad again too!
Loyal, regular guests are what we all strive for in the restaurant industry. We are blessed in that we have so many returning guests who bring us new customers every day and then they return with more new faces and so on. It would be easy (and stupid) for us to become complacent and rest on our laurels but we won't. Our wonderful front and back of house teams work tirelessly to create great food and give wonderful service to all guests, new and old. That's why I am so very proud of them all.
For guests to take the time and acknowledge that is just fabulous. Thank you again.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Went on saturday with my wife and another couple. Had plenty of beers and the most awesome food, I actually preferred it to local competitor Mangetout which has been a favourite of mine for years.

Been wanting to try for ages, so glad we now have! 10/10

P.s. Don't be put off by the bad website!

2  Thank Gregory C

Hello Gregory,

We are so glad that you did try us out and even more pleased that we lived up to your very high expectation.
We know that our web site is not the best. We are too busy doing what we love (Smoking real BBQ) to pull our fingers out and get a good web site done. We kind of hope that our food does the talking and for the vast majority of guests it does seem to.

Hurry back to sample more of the menu and some interesting new guest drinks.

Hope to see you soon.