“Good fresh seasonal food.”

River Cottage Kitchen, Axminster
Ranked #6 of 37 Restaurants in Axminster
Price range: US$22 - US$51
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had a family meal here. Great choice for vegetarians but limited options for older children ( with nut allergies). Staff very helpful with adjusting menu to suit but food took a long time and although delicious, portions a little on the small side.

RCHQ, General Manager at River Cottage Kitchen, Axminster, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for your review, our set menu portions are slightly smaller than our full A La Carte menu, due to being a light lunch time offering. I'm glad you all found some great choices and your party enjoyed their food, we hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,378)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

At 1pm the breakfast menu was still displayed outside so popped in to look at the menu before deciding to eat. We were advised to book a table as they were busy. I didn't see the back but the front room was half full. Booked a table for 1.30pm which seemed to take forever and were told we'd be sat in the front. Returned at 1.30pm and were shown through to the back; there were a couple of spare tables. We were seated and then left for 10-15 minutes before anyone acknowledged us and took drink and food order. I was on the verge of walking out; I appreciate large establishments get busy but that is no excuse for poor service. We were sat in view of the kitchen and I could see frustrated chef's calling service and no one coming to collect and service food.
I can't fault the food but the service was mediocre at best. The didn't appear to be enough staff - 3 who all seemed to be doing a bit of everything instead of a dedicated front of house, waiting etc.

I visited many years ago when it first opened and it was much better, food was only served in the back room. Maybe it's grown too big and should go back to basics.

2  Thank Hoon101

I'm very sorry to hear of your disappointing visit, it would appear the basics have been missed here. I will pass all of your comments onto the entire front of house team and rest assured action will be taken.

We hope you'll try us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We were recommended this place by a friend and I’m so glad they did. We booked for lunch and decided to eat from the set menu. The atmosphere is rustic and quirky. Staff were very friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. I had the ham hock for starter and steak for main, my fiancée had the feta cheese on sour bread to start and steak for main. Al, our meals were amazing, it wasn’t a massive plate of food but just enough and quality was outstanding. For pudding I had the sticky toffee parsnip pudding and fiancée had the cheese and biscuits, again amazing tasty food. We topped it off with a vey reasonable priced bottle of wine. Overall bill was reasonable and food was excellent. I would defy recommend this place

Thanks John for the great review! I'm glad you found the 11.95 for two courses of good value, it is proving very popular!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A meal to finish a holiday in Dorset. We have eaten breakfast, and visited the deli before but decided to have dinner. The food was excellent, with four adults sharing both the meat and vegetarian platters as starters. Followed by the steak- what a taste, with chips, different salads and the crushed new potatoes. Pudding was the chocolate torte, hazelnut ice cream and parsnip sponge.
All the food was tasty and well presented, and the service was great. The cost is on the higher side, as is the quality of food therefore I feel it is worth it.
Would recommend River Cottage, Axminster without hesitation.

Thanks for your fantastic review! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A surprise birthday visit for me, and what a treat. The food was gorgeous. I've been failing to get my partner to eat beetroot for years and was anxious when the side veg included roasted beets. No worries, one taste and he was converted! We both had the roast Sunday lunch, with different meats, and I thought they looked a little skimpy when delivered. But I was wrong, the quality was exceptional, the amount just perfect - satisfying full with just enough appetite left to excuse having a pudding! And the puddings were fantastic, the parsnip one in particular. I also had a River Cottage Elderflower cider which was very enjoyable and a sloe gin which I can't recommend too highly. (You can probably guess my other half was driving!) Living in Lancashire I don't suppose we'll be back soon, but whenever we are next in the area we'll be sure to visit.

Thanks for your great review, I'm glad we have converted someone to beetroot! Great to hear you enjoyed your lunches and the cider! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the South West.