“Longevity Village of Bama in Guangxi, China” 4 of 5 bubbles

Longevity Village
K L
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Longevity Village of Bama in Guangxi, China”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

During my recent trip to Nanning, China, I joined a local tour to Bama Yao, Ethnic Autonomous County. I paid RMB 1 200 for 2 pax. This is inclusive of a night's stay, lunch, dinner and breakfast for the following morning. The fare is also inclusive of a bus ride to and fro from Nanning city center, a tour of 2 caves and the beautiful Shuijinggong Crystal Cave of Fengcong karst. A very good deal for that price.

The ride took about 41/2 hours. We started the journey at 7.30 am. We reached our destination around 1pm after stopping for about half an hour for lunch on the way. Lunch was ok. Not very oily. We were served quite a number of vege dishes with 2 meat dishes, a chicken and the other pork.

The journey isn't a pleasant one though. As the bus drove into the suburbs it was very bumpy. We had to fasten our seat belts, otherwise, you can be jolted out of your seats. Nevertheless I enjoyed the scenery all along the journey, albeit the discomfort.

Bama Yao is a simple village up on the mountains. It is surrounded by green mountains and valleys. I could see people walking along the mountain paths to breathe in the fresh, invigorating air. It is pollution free. The air is cool and refreshing.There are only a handful of vehicles. Most of the villages walk to do their daily chores like tending to their vegetable farms.

I was told Bama Yao has the highest number of old people in the world. There are still living, a few centenarians and quite a number of the residents are octogenarians and nonagenarians.
We were brought to see the centenarians. They are not in their dotage. They look alert and healthy. You can have a snapshot with them by giving them an ' ang pau ' ( a red packet with money inside, Chinese Culture ).

The villagers of Bama Yao live a simple lifestyle. They drink ionized, spring water, free from chlorine, plant food void of chemical fertilizers and pesticides thus with more vitamins and minerals. They walk a lot and this is involuntary exercise not sedentary like us, city dwellers.Undoubtedly I say these are contributory factors to their long life.

Bama Yao is worth your visit. Make a trip there when you are in Nanning, China.

Visited January 2013