“Unforgettable”

The Retreat Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Atenas
Reviewed 17 October 2017

I have to say this place is heaven on earth! What a magnificent experience. The staff was amazing! They made us feel at home. I love the setup. It feels like a huge house and everyone is so attentive and sweet! I really did not want to leave! We stayed in the standard room (I think that was a queen sized bed). I loved this location because it was very near the "big house" where the kitchen, living area, boutique, and everything is. The room was small but super comfortable and modern. There were sliding doors they used as windows, which we left open every night to sleep with the sounds of the birds. OMG this review is bringing me back!... All I have to say is STAY HERE! You will enjoy the food VERY much! I love how genuine and creative the chefs are! There is NO MENU! Which makes the experience even more exciting! They simply ask if you have any allergies and let their imaginations run free! I do recommend traveling during the summer. The rainy season was not as bad but the sun does set around 4pm and it rains most days around the same time. We got caught during tropical storm Nate which was very scary.... Other than this storm, we had an amazing time in Costa Rica. I am not the one to travel to the same country twice, since there's so much to see in this world, BUT this is an exception! I am definitely going back during the summer! I want to get the full experience of this gorgeous country! I HIGHLY recommend The Retreat! you will love it! P.S - This place is focusing more on a zen more relaxed stay. They offer, spa, yoga, healthy eating, etc.. They do offer a protein (meat) at dinner for free. If you want to add them to all your meals there is an upcharge. There are no TV's or phone's in the rooms (since it's focusing of removing the buzz and fuss). The Retreat offers near by excursions which is super neat (if you get tired of relaxing too hard ;) You might also find "celebrities" there. During my stay someone, not mentioning any names, stayed in the Retreat!

Room Tip: Casitas in front of the pool have a great view
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isa_022584
Bryant_Angulo, Gerente at The Retreat Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dearest Isa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience.
Every one of our staff members remembers you and we are all so grateful for your kind words here and the lovely note you left in the room and the guest's book..
You are right, they are lovely and absolutely passionate about their job which reflects on the service they offer. And I must also say that it was a pleasure because you were wonderful guests too!
Your positive energy melted so well with the place ;-)
We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.
As you say there are many wonders to discover in the world, and The Retreat will be your place to unwind between your adventurous trips (and relax after a week of rafting ;-) !!

Reviewed 13 October 2017

I loved my experience at the Retreat. It was like being at a posh home away from home. The best part was the STAFF. So friendly, so giving, so willing to accommodate you. So sweet and warm! And the food is AMAZING!

It's a small place so you feel like you are at home. The rooms are very clean an updated! There are insects around but that comes with the location (CR!).

It was so relaxing and I learned so much about myself on my retreat. Thank you for my incredible experience!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Zeena D

Dear Zeena,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience.
I shared your comments with all the team and such kind words are always appreciated.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Everyone at The Retreat made my vacation feel like I was at home, all while in paradise. From the moment you wake up for morning yoga to the perfectly planned 3 course dinner, everything made me feel cosy. The staff truly cares about your experience and are so knowledgeable about the land and local produce. I definitely left feeling rejuvenated and restored. And I can't wait to come back. Thank you for taking such good care of me!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Bryant_Angulo, Director General at The Retreat Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Thank you, Diana and the whole family at The Retreat, for an incredible 4 days. I felt so welcomed and looked after during my stay. The food was amazing (the chefs are magicians!), the yoga and massage was healing, and the facilities were excellent. Thanks again and I hope to see you all again soon!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Bryant_Angulo, Gerente at The Retreat Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Michele,

Thank you so much for your visit and your kind words. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

This is a beautiful secluded place to go unwind, eat better than you normally would, and relax. We went for a quick girls getaway. We enjoyed a luxurious room, personalized and beautiful food, a cooking class, yoga, massages and time by the pool. The view of the ocean, the mountainsides, and the resort itself takes your breath away. The resort is so clean and the staff warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Bryant_Angulo, Gerente at The Retreat Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your kind words.
We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you took some of the healthy lifestyle habits with you back home.

Warm regards from the entire team!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atenas
26.7 km away
27.2 km away
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela

Been to The Retreat Costa Rica? Share your experiences!