“Absolutely Disgraceful and Cruel Place”

Samui Monkey Theatre
Frankfurt, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“Absolutely Disgraceful and Cruel Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

I went here out of curiosity to see how well or otherwise the animals were kept, and was appalled at what I found. As stated by the two previous reviewers, who I salute for taking the time to tell people about this horrible place, the monkeys are kept in dirty concrete floored cells with no comfort whatsoever.

As I very gently approached each cage the monkeys would retreat to the back of their cages and cower, which suggests that they're used to being badly treated.

As for the 'show' it consists of a male and a female monkey being made to carry out ridiculous demeaning tasks which are an insult to these creatures. They both look dreadfully miserable throughout.

After this 'show' I was asked by the man running it if I had enjoyed it. I responded by telling him I was disappointed with the way the animals were kept, and he informed me that 'even in the wild they sleep same way'. On filthy concrete floors in the wild? I think not.

Do not go here even to check it out unless you are planning to save these creatures, which I now intend to try to do by discussing this matter with an animal charity.

19 Thank wilystoat

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Dover
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“If you care about animal welfare...PLEASE DON'T GO HERE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2009

Myself and my girlfriend went to Monkey Theatre not really knowing what to expect. Whilst walking round the streets of Koh Samui and getting approached by numerous locals offering to take our pictures with so called 'tame monkeys' (probably sedated) we maybe should have followed our instincts in that on the whole animal welfare is not high on the agenda in Thailand. But surely a Monkey Theatre, making their living from monkeys and showcasing them to the public would be different. Surely it would be in their interests to care for the monkeys and have an interest in conservation. WRONG!!!

It was one of the most appalling places I have visited. There is a cute little monkey convieniently placed at the entrance for you to play with and feed bananas but what followed was nothing short of horrific. The monkeys were held in painfully small bare concrete cages that obviously hadn't been cleaned in a very long time as the floor was covered in their own excrement. There were a few communal cages full of younger monkeys that looked in reasonable condition but obviously hadn't been feed in a while as they were pretty much screaming to get fed. I have attached a photo of the younger monkeys but it doesn't really capture how bad it was. I did take some other photos but my girlfriend made me delete them as she couldn't bare to look at them. And rightly so! Further down the line of cages were some older monkeys each in individual cages that were nothing short of prison cells with thick iron bars, concrete walls and a carpet of excrement. Their rib cages were exposed, most looked like they were suffering from some kind of skin disease. One in particular looked like it had rabies or some similar infection. A couple of monkeys looked really dazed and confused, continuously rocking, almost like you might expect from somebody with mental health problems. I've since learned that this could how monkeys exhibit stress.
There was also a crocodile in a pond not much bigger than a child's paddling pool. It barely had enough room to turn around in. I've attached a picture of this. All in all it was utterly shameful how the animals were treated and deeply upsetting.

At that point we were still going to watch the show that is the main feature of the Monkey Theatre in the hope that it might get better. However, as we sat waiting, one of the owners daughters approached the cage of young monkeys and started banging the cage and started squirting water at and them. She then started throwing stones at them.

Needless to say that we didn't stay to watch the show. We approached the manager about what happened and he said that she was just playing with the monkeys, a story that I didn't buy. We demanded a refund and left.

We both felt a bit powerless and wanted to do something about it so decided to write this review in the hope that people will read it and decide against going and be spared the distress. And with any luck the place will be closed down.

30 Thank PhatButcher
Cork
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“monkey theatre, koh samui”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

I just wanted to let anyone who is travelling to Koh Samui know about the monkey theatre there. I was there a few weeks ago with my family and it nearly reduced me to tears.
The monkeys are in cages and as soon as you approach they are screeching for food. I know animals will always take food that is offered but it seemed like they really depended on the tourists to feed them. They grabbed the bananas and nuts like they hadn't seen food for days. There were some monkeys in cages at the end of the row and they looked really sick. One was literally skin and bone, when my sister in law asked what was wrong with him she was told that he was old. Doesn't sound like a reasonable explanation to me.
Also there was a crocodile in a tiny enclosure with basically a small puddle of water to lie in. It all just seemed terribly wrong.
I wrote to monkey world and they told me that they have received many complaints about the monkey theatre and suggested I post a review here and let people know about it. So that is what I'm doing in the hope it might discourage people from going as these places don't deserve to stay in business when the animals aren't being cared for properly.

33 Thank ShinerCork